Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strader not running for second term

warpspeed

The salary paid it is definately more attractive to semi or retired individuals. It certainly is not enough money for the average person with a family. I would not have quit my job to receive $55,000 (or 3 times that) a year for 4 years with no guarantee of continued employment.

After reading the by-laws, I'm not sure that I agree that the President's job is a full time position.

7.2 The President:
The President shall be the chief executive officer of the corporation and shall be primarily responsible for the implementation of the policies of the Board of Directors. In addition to the other provisions of these bylaws, the President shall
i.) have authority over the general management and operations of the corporation, subject only to the ultimate authority of the Board of Directors and these bylaws,
ii.) preside at all corporate meetings and shall cast a vote in all roll call votes,
iii.) appoint the Vice President and Secretary of the corporation, all such appointments subject to ratification by the Board of Directors,

iv.) assign to all officers such duties and powers consistent with these bylaws to enable the President to carry out his responsibilities and obligations,
v.) travel to the national office frequently enough to evaluate the performance of the Executive Director and report his assessment of the Executive Director, along with salary recommendations, to the Board of Directors at least annually,
vi.) serve as, or designate, the Match Director of, and have full and final authority concerning the United States National Championships,
vii.) represent the position of USPSA as determined by the Board, including following Board direction at all General Assembly meetings of the International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) and serve as the IPSC United States Regional Director,
viii.) serve as a Director and, except as otherwise provided in these bylaws, shall be an ex-officio member of all committees of the Board of Directors, and
ix.) perform all duties incident to the office of the President and such other duties as from time to time may be assigned by the Board of Directors or these bylaws.
The President may sign and execute in the name of the corporation deeds, mortgages, bonds, checks, powers of attorney, contracts and/or other instruments, except as otherwise provided by the Board of Directors and by the Articles of Incorporation and these bylaws.
The President may, with approval of the Board of Directors, establish and maintain an office separate from the national office convenient to the discharge of his duties. All expenses of this office shall be included in the annual budget submitted to the Board of Directors for approval.

If the president can't dedicated 100% of his/her time to the full time job, then they shouldn't be doing it. The USPSA membership shouldn't endorse a situation where the president of the organization can't dedicate 100% of their time and focus to the organization. Its a full time job and needs to be treated as such.

Then frankly it needs to be compensated as such -- and the current salary isn't paying for more than a half-time gig......

I've never considered it a full time job. Not at the salary we are paying. The ED absolutely but not the President. At least not on a weekly basis. I wouldn't say the President needs to be available 40 hours a week every week of the year. But there are times, lots of them, when the job requires more than 40 hours a week. It makes it difficult to coordinate with a normal kind of job. I know I couldn't do it and keep my current job.

In the latest issue of Front Sight, Phil has stated that he will not be running for another term as USPSA President.

When does his term end ?

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this. Voigt used to make this pronouncement every term and then run again anyway.

Phil, is out after his term.

I agree with you, but...

Are you willing to quit your job for a $55k salary, and no guarantee that you will keep the job for more than 4 years? I have a feeling the caliber of person we want as a leader of our organization isn't going to give us 100% of his time for that pay.

I agree with you on the salary, but he new that went he ran for the job.

Edited by 02Fatboy

55K? Is related travel and lodging paid? Is there a per diem when traveling? Any perks?

I believe some of the previous posts are correct. An older retired shooter, someone who has a track record working the sport, should seriously be considered. As well as being appointed using some criteria. I can think of 2 or 3 just in Ohio that would probably do well.

Wow were do you guys live? Most skill trade people in Oklahoma don't make 28.64 a hour.

Being president of USPSA or a similar sized organization is a more demanding job than being a skilled trade person, imho.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being a one-term president. It's definitely a personal sacrifice, and phil is taking his turn and doing a good job. I appreciate that.

Doesn't being President involve moving to Washington state? That may slow down a lot of retirees from taking the position.

No, but Executive Director DOES, as that person (Kim) works out of the USPSA office. It also pays significantly more.

In the latest issue of Front Sight, Phil has stated that he will not be running for another term as USPSA President.

When does his term end ?

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this. Voigt used to make this pronouncement every term and then run again anyway.

Phil, is out after his term.

Well... maybe. :rolleyes:

Wow were do you guys live? Most skill trade people in Oklahoma don't make 28.64 a hour.

I'm in PA -- where entry level RNs can make more than we are paying the USPSA President, and where families will need to make more than that to live a comfortable middle class life....

I've liked Phil Strader as Prez, but I miss the days of Dave Stanford and Andy Hollar. Guys who were devoted to USPSA/IPSC shooting, but didn't have all the distractions of being paid professional shooters competing for their time and attention. It'd be nice to have someone like that again.

Paying an executive/managerial position (even a part time one) $55K/year and expecting top performance is a serious threat to the continuity of the organization, in my opinion. Hopefully there are a couple of viable candidates.