Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strader not running for second term

warpspeed

In the latest issue of Front Sight, Phil has stated that he will not be running for another term as USPSA President.

When does his term end ?

Is this in the Jan/Feb 2014 edition or the Nov/Dec 2013 edition of Front Sight ?

Jan/Feb 2014

It arrived today. Nils is on the cover looking pretty BA.

Probably to give notice to the folks who are interested in running. If the election is in 2015 they need to have their petitions in and ready to go by the end of 2014. It's a big job and one that anyone who runs should give serious consideration to the time committment invovled. I know I couldn't do it and still keep my full time job. I'd rather give everyone that might be interested lots of warning.

Doesn't Phil work for Remington also?

I think that is correct...

I think the next election for President would be Fall 2015, unless he decides to step down before that date.

If the USPSA President resigns with more than 2 years left to serve then I think the VP takes over, if less than 2 years remain then I think an election is called. Without reading the article I can't tell the context of his decision.

Edited by BritinUSA

Anyone who wants to be USPSA President needs to understand that it is a full-time job which is why it is a salaried position.

Also seems like it would be a huge distraction to the shooting.

In the latest issue of Front Sight, Phil has stated that he will not be running for another term as USPSA President.

When does his term end ?

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this. Voigt used to make this pronouncement every term and then run again anyway.

If the president can't dedicated 100% of his/her time to the full time job, then they shouldn't be doing it. The USPSA membership shouldn't endorse a situation where the president of the organization can't dedicate 100% of their time and focus to the organization. Its a full time job and needs to be treated as such.

I agree with you, but...

Are you willing to quit your job for a $55k salary, and no guarantee that you will keep the job for more than 4 years? I have a feeling the caliber of person we want as a leader of our organization isn't going to give us 100% of his time for that pay.

I agree with you, but...

Are you willing to quit your job for a $55k salary, and no guarantee that you will keep the job for more than 4 years? I have a feeling the caliber of person we want as a leader of our organization isn't going to give us 100% of his time for that pay.

I don't think one would be that hard to find.

I would venture to guess that there are plenty of semi retired or full retired USPSA members that could take on the challenge of USPSA president and do well with it. For the semi retired or full retired guys the salary for the position would be well worth doing it as it would pretty much be icing on the cake from a personal finances perspective. Hell, look at your local shooters who would fit into this category. These are the same guys that bust their hump making USPSA Matches happen in their area for FREE serving as Match Directors, Section Coordinators, Club Board Members, or whatever else.

The challenge with getting one of these type of guys voted in as president of USPSA is that it usually comes down to a popularity contest more than a "can they do the job effectively" perspective. Some no name shooter in BFE no where may be the best person for the job, but since he is not nationally known he does not stand a chance of getting voted in. This is the problem with voting to fill a position. I think they should treat it like any other Officer or Director level hire in a large business. Interview the candidates, review their skills and history, then make an educated decision to pick the best fit for the position.

I am not saying this to put Phil in a bad light. I think he has done a good job as USPSA president so far. I also think that it is very admirable of him to publicly admit that he has bitten off more than he can chew. That in its self shows how much of a class act he is.