Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 ftf help

Mike21STI

I'm working on getting some different ammo to try. The builder did tune the mags that I sent to make sure they are in spec... I'll try different rounds and the new recoil spring and update this post. I appreciate the info provided thus far.

The good news is the builder is still in communication with you. There are many reasons/variables that might not be the builders fault. As long as they are working with you that is a good thing. Crap happens frames, slides, and barrels can be out of spec. This can be very hard to identify, it can easily go unnoticed until after the gun is built.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone file or alter the gun other than the original builder, unless communication stops.

At that point he doesn't own the work anymore.

buy some regular 40 sw ammo and see if it works in the gun. many 2011's will work with both the regular and long length ammo. if it runs with the regular ammo, its the ammo.

Thanks, that is my next step as well as the recoil spring...

Here's a video on extractor tension, there are others on youtube for adjusting it give this a look. It sounds like too tight of tension on it.

The extractor is not involved. The OP posted that the rounds were still in the magazine, "I looked at the pictures (too large to upload here) and they all show the round still in the feed lips so it's definitely getting caught on the ramp before it even gets to the extractor".

The Precision Delta 180 fmj bullet has more of a round profile than most of the 180gr 40 bullets out there. They sell both bullets and loaded ammo, but I have no idea what their wait time is. I'd try some as it might be an easy "fix."

I do agree that you shouldn't need to go to this, but if all else fails and your smith can't take care of you give it a try.

• 1 month later...

If I may jump in on an old thread...

I had AAA .40 ammo (the short stuff) that wouldn't run at all in a Glock 35. The gun never had an issue with any other ammo. Unfortunately I bought a bunch of the stuff for matches and then realized it just wasn't going to work so I've been shooting it up in other guns as practice ammo ever since. The interesting thing is that it wouldn't run in that Glock 35, nor in an STI built by Shay, nor in a factory-built Infinity. I was chamber checking the ammo and I noticed that the OALs were getting longer after "plunking" them into a barrel. I think AAA has an issue with their crimping on these rounds. Perhaps that is the issue, if their recipe for the short .40 is similar at all to the recipe for the 1.180" stuff.

If I may jump in on an old thread...

I had AAA .40 ammo (the short stuff) that wouldn't run at all in a Glock 35. The gun never had an issue with any other ammo. Unfortunately I bought a bunch of the stuff for matches and then realized it just wasn't going to work so I've been shooting it up in other guns as practice ammo ever since. The interesting thing is that it wouldn't run in that Glock 35, nor in an STI built by Shay, nor in a factory-built Infinity. I was chamber checking the ammo and I noticed that the OALs were getting longer after "plunking" them into a barrel. I think AAA has an issue with their crimping on these rounds. Perhaps that is the issue, if their recipe for the short .40 is similar at all to the recipe for the 1.180" stuff.

Thanks for the input, I think this may have been part of the issue because it was my main test ammo. The gun is running perfect with reloads from a friend of mine.

Can't wait for the warmer weather so I can start shooting in limited

• 1 year later...

is there a little bit of room under the barrel ramp? (I believe the messurement from the rails to the bottom of the slot is .300)

barrel should rest at the frame rails not on the cut-out in the frame. mark your barrelramp with a sharpie and cycle, check for contact

when the barrel is in linkdown there should be adequate room between the slide and barrel

make sure the barrelramp is not sticking into the frame

If the simple fixes dont pan out, i.e. extractor, mags, ammo, take a hard look at the feed ramp. Sometimes they do need to be tweaked. A little bit of 'smoothing' or polishing can go a long way. Youll def want to get the fancy protractor before you start taking material off.