Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 issues.

I got this press new about 30 days ago. In 20+ hours, Ive only managed to run about 3k 5.56.

The setup from the factory was abysmal. Ive had to re adjust each station, as well as re adjust shellplate tension. Ive had to disassemble and reinstall the primer feed. I had to remove the ratchet, as the tension screw that dillon told me to adjust did absolutely nothing to improve the situation.

The rubber stop on the primer conveyance has already torn and come off.

The powder measure refused to drop consistently. On that phone call, they suggested I attach a fish tank air pump to shake the powder out of the charge bar and down the funnel, or tap the charge bar every cycle.

Now, I feel there is absolutely too much side to side movement. If I hold the handle to the left when cycling, it seems to tighten everything up.

Between the suggestions of aquarium accessories, and it taking 3-6 days between response from customer service... I'm absolutely exhausted.

My 650 on its worse day runs circles around this thing.

Take the powder measure off, look at the powder die. Did you wipe it down too? You may need to clean and wipe it with the drier sheet. I had this exact same problem when I began loading 223. The powder die was all clogged up.

I would check it all again. The powder drop is easy to pull off. You have to push the powder die up thru the powder drop mount once you pull the drop off.

With the cleaning with the alcohol I should have specified the metal parts only. I pull the powder drop completely apart. Did you disassemble the drop, pull the powder bar and wipe all the metal parts with the dryer sheet? I run that sheet in every nook and crany where powder can contact it.

Edited by Why1504

Unfortunately, a full-size extruded powder like IMR 4198 is not the best choice for a smallbore cartridge. It will logjam in the powder funnel, giving very irregular powder charges.

A steady vibration will improve this. Otherwise, I strongly recommend switching to a ball/spherical powder for 223 use. I suggest phoning us for assistance when you can be in front of the machine.

Mondays are our highest volume day, so phone waits average 15-20 minutes. Late in the day (after 5PM MST) is best. We are open until 6Pm MST.

1) There is always a lemon.

2) Every powder measure should have all metal parts degreased and a hopper of graphitized powder should be run through it before loading ever begins. Even powdered graphite may be used.

3) Do you have the proper charge bar installed? Not too big and not too small.

4) Did you get frustrated and mis-treat the press? The priming system sounds like you forced things at least once. Either the press works very smoothly or something is out of adjustment and forcing anything will only make things worse.

Good powders for 223 & 308 in a Dillon Powder Measure: Winchester 748, Hodgen H-335 & Benchmark, Accurate 2230, 2520, and 2015, which is a "stick (extruded) powder," but the sticks are very small so it rarely will bridge in the Powder Measure. Also, Alliant RL15 and Ramshot TAC and Exterminator.

Good powders for 223 & 308 in a Dillon Powder Measure: Winchester 748, Hodgen H-335 & Benchmark, Accurate 2230, 2520, and 2015, which is a "stick (extruded) powder," but the sticks are very small so it rarely will bridge in the Powder Measure. Also, Alliant RL15 and Ramshot TAC and Exterminator.

Hodgdon 335, BLC2, and benchmark would be an obvious first choice to the 4198, but try to find 100 pounds of them... I was able to find that much in the 4198.

One of the issues is the charge bar. The adjustment screw is so loose, I had to put a dab of blue loctite on it to keep it consistent. This has eliminated the variance in charges. I now get a +- 0.1gr, which I find acceptable for plinking ammo.

100 lbs of powder.......Your locked in then.

Clean powder measure out with alcohol.

Get a Unique Tek Micro measure.

Get the Metal Anti-static insert from there as

Well.

I have a cheap engraver that vibrates like hell

Mounted to top of measure for stick powders.

Pick up a reamer and open up powder funnel

One size

And slow down some

• 2 weeks later...

Now my swaging support rod has snapped after 8000 rounds. Oh, the headaches.

I destroyed one of those VERY early on, like 1000 rounds. The case mouth got smashed by my universal de-primer and when it went into the swage station the swage backup rod rode outside the case and snapped off.

I bought a few extra.

Well IMO they wont send you one for free, or at least I never asked since it wasnt their fault that it broke. Just go on their website and order. Much less frustration.

I think they are 8 bucks. I ordered 3 or 4 of them.

Nothing I have broken on my machine has been the fault of Dillon. I simply go online and order the part and generally a few more for good measure.

I inspect each case before it goes into the bucket to be processed. Therefore I am confident it was not a crushed mouth that went in and broke it. Ive found that for some reason unbeknownst to me, a case will not completely seat in the shell plate and come out all retarded, going crooked into the decapper.

Warranty is warranty, and I expect to get one by warranty, as well as purchasing a backup.

Ive found that for some reason unbeknownst to me, a case will not completely seat in the shell plate and come out all retarded, going crooked into the decapper.

I have noticed this as well and have no clue why some times they dont get quite into the shell plate correctly. I have had a few as the shell plate advances come flying out of station 1 and across my shop. Had a few where the press wouldnt advance and I had to back it up JUST ever so slightly and then it would advance freely. No clue.

Overall its MY fault for not noticing the de prime die has crushed the case and I tried to feed it into the swage station and broke the die.

OF everything going on on the 1050, the de-prime station is the one place that I constantly watch as my machine is running. Once a case makes it past there with zero issues every other operation runs just fine(got almost 50k pieces on the machine so I THINK I have it figured out). The biggest issue I see now is primers getting pulled back into the pocket and then the press locks up on the swage station. I have taken to not running the locator button in station 1 so I can watch in the small gap to make sure the primer gets dropped.

Edited by rjacobs

The biggest issue I see now is primers getting pulled back into the pocket and then the press locks up on the swage station. I have taken to not running the locator button in station 1 so I can watch in the small gap to make sure the primer gets dropped.

Putting an ever so slight beveled edge of about 60 degrees on the end of the decapping pin then highly polishing the end along with the 1st 1/4" or so with red jewelers rouge will keep that from ever happening again.

You just need to set your devapping pin a little lower.

ive set it high, ive set it low, ive polished it, ive put a slight angle on it, etc... doesnt seem to matter.

Im de-priming all LC crimped brass. I have a feeling what is going on is that some of the primers are crimped a little tighter than others and on these the tip of the pin is very slightly piercing the anvil in the primer and pulling it back up into the pocket.

I would say it only happens maybe 3 or 4 times every 1000 so its not a HUGE issue, but its basically the only issue I do have with the press so I am not that concerned about it.

Edited by rjacobs