Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Hands for a 1911-Need help.

jnr88

I have pretty large hands. A 2011 is small and just this week I decided to shoot some single stack. Can anybody recommend some good grips for shooters with a large hand?

Thanks.

There is a cnversion grip to make a single stack the same as a 2011 size grip. I have one on my Trojan, it is easier to grip. I also have large hands and long fingers and there is no way to properly grip a single stack 1911 for me.

• 1 month later...

Just finished installing and shooting my first match with the Perman large grip. I installed these on a Dan Wesson Heritage and could not be happier. Fitting took about 2 hours and the gun now fits perfectly. If anyone is looking for a 2011 grip on their 1911 this is the way to go! Thanks Forum members.

Can't remember the company, but there was someone that was making 1911 grip panel spacers/ shims Seems like they came in 1/16" adn 1/8" thickness. You just put them under your normal grip (grips screws might also need to be longer). I personally ended up with as thick of wood grips as possible along with arched main spring housings on mine.

If you are handy, you could cut your own out of 16 - 24 guage metal and install....

Edited by bubbadoc

Thanks for the pic on those...do they copy the shape of the 2011? I had some Davidsons that came close on the maximum point of thickness, but they lacked the sort of squared off profile at the back I seem to recall on the Eagle that fit my hand perfectly.

Barnhart still sells them on his website. Depending on your hand size I'm sure they will help but I don't think they are the answer for large hands. Jerry responded to my email and I'm sure he will be happy to answer any of your questions.

• 2 weeks later...

I put one of these on under my grips, it adds some thickness:

http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/Colt/PG1911-1

On my Trojan then I have the Hogue palm swell grips over that. I may have to scrape up the cash to try one of those Perman grips.

DSC_0060_zpsd23d7541.jpg

I've got the Hogue and now a set of Perman. Both work ok but I prefer the hogue and they didn't require a dremel & etc. Had to go with Perman to make weight, but for the money I would have been happier buying the hogues and an aluminum mainspring housing to deal with the weight issue.