Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide Rod Head & Slide Peening.... What Could Cause This?

Ssanders224

I'm having a problem with my Limited gun. Thought I would put it out there to see if anyone has some insight.

First off, I don't run any super hot loads in the gun. 170PF and I chrono often. I run 13# recoil springs and 17# mainspring.

Problem is, the top edges of the guide rod head, and the back of the spring tunnel are deforming where they make contact.

Any ideas as to what is causing this???

DD6BC842-AE1A-44D3-8B3A-2954A56D3B49-801

4C5A9790-57AE-492A-8D4A-2972DC1131CA-801

2351FFAD-1DBD-4CA4-9EA5-223C86CA2092-801

How old is that recoil spring? Possible it's past it's use by date...

Also I noticed you have a lightened slide.

A lighter slide will have a higher slide velocity which may batter the guide rod head/frame a bit more than a non lightened slide, all things being equal (i.e. recoil spring, main spring, ammo, etc, etc)

How old is that recoil spring? Possible it's past it's use by date...

Also I noticed you have a lightened slide.

A lighter slide will have a higher slide velocity which may batter the guide rod head/frame a bit more than a non lightened slide, all things being equal (i.e. recoil spring, main spring, ammo, etc, etc)

The spring is fine. 13# Sprinco, and I change them often. 2-3k rounds.

And yes, slide is lightened... But the gun was built by a very popular and renowned Smith. It shouldnt be self destructing like this.

That guide rod is new, and only has about 3k rounds on it.

On the other side of the flange from where the damage is , does the round nub of the

guide rod fit and nest into the frame and sit square ?

Yes, the nub was fit to the frame, and the flange sits square against the frame.

The damage to the guide rod has happened rapidly. In the last few thousand rounds.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

the machine work on the slide isn't done from the bottom view.the part between the lightening hole and the spring guide tunnel.

+1. That surface where the slide is bottoming out on the guide rod should not be flat like that. It should have a radius cut going into the spring guide tunnel.

the machine work on the slide isn't done from the bottom view.

the part between the lightening hole and the spring guide tunnel.

Can you show a picture?

The gun was built by someone very well known and respected around here... I wouldn't think he would have skipped a step??

I'm at work, so I can't actually look at my gun.... But I was just looking at my picture again, and I sure hope I'm not seeing what I think I'm seeing.

It almost looks like there is a crack forming right where the spring tunnel meets the rail.

Holy cow I hope not.

This top end was brand new less than a year ago.

Here's a photo of a new Caspian slide. Note the rail cuts are a radius and not right angle like yours. Also notice how far they go back into the spring tunnel. The frame rails should have a radius at the front as well.

post-43146-0-47560100-1386116465_thumb.j

Here's a photo of a new Caspian slide. Note the rail cuts are a radius and not right angle like yours. Also notice how far they go back into the spring tunnel. The frame rails should have a radius at the front as well.

Thanks for the picture.

I'm not sure which radius I should be looking at, but my slide tunnel/rails looks pretty much exactly like the one in your picture?

Unless you mean the very small fillet where the rail turns to form the tunnel??

Going to be very dissapointed if this is actually a flaw in the build.

No, it has a standard looking reverse plug in it. The top end was built from uncut parts by the Smith... So whatever it is cut for, and whatever is in it, is what he intended.

The radius is there, you just half to look under the ledge, it's in a shadow

The slide is built correct

Edited by Sudden Death

Good news is, the slide is not cracked...

Just an illusion in the photo.

Bad news is, I still have no idea why the gun is beating itself up like this.

The reverse plug is definitely pushed a little far forward in the tunnel... It stands just a little proud of the front of the slide (they were flush in the front when the gun was new).

I think I might try to drop in a new reverse plug... And new guide rod?? Then see what happens.

No, it has a standard looking reverse plug in it. The top end was built from uncut parts by the Smith... So whatever it is cut for, and whatever is in it, is what he intended.

The rear of the tunnel is cut. Look at the rear of the plug in the picture that has the flange, not the collar. That is what would fill the area that has been machined and allow the rear of the the tunnel area to contact the guiderod head, not just the uncut area at the top of the rails as it is doing now. I would bet that your "gunsmith" ordered the slide cut for a reverse plug and didn't specify a collar style plug, which is what is in your picture. Changing the guiderod will not fix it. Getting the correct plug to fill the void at the back of the tunnel will.

I have had pistols through my shop that did the exact same thing. The slide had been cut for a flange style plug and the customer was using a collar style. Bent the ears of the guiderod head, pushing it back into the frame rails. Change the plug and it will run forever!

The rear of the tunnel is cut. Look at the rear of the plug in the picture that has the flange, not the collar. That is what would fill the area that has been machined and allow the rear of the the tunnel area to contact the guiderod head, not just the uncut area at the top of the rails as it is doing now. I would bet that your "gunsmith" ordered the slide cut for a reverse plug and didn't specify a collar style plug, which is what is in your picture. Changing the guiderod will not fix it. Getting the correct plug to fill the void at the back of the tunnel will.

I have had pistols through my shop that did the exact same thing. The slide had been cut for a flange style plug and the customer was using a collar style. Bent the ears of the guiderod head, pushing it back into the frame rails. Change the plug and it will run forever!

I think the picture of my slide might be misleading you. The tunnel is not relieved for a flanged plug. The back of the tunnel, and the two areas that are deforming are flush (or were before the damage).

The gun was designed for a collar type plug, and the slide is cut accordingly.