Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which of 3 powders for a 200g .40 SW w/ comp?

igolfat8

I have a LW bbl on my Gen 4 G35 with a Carver Comp. I have 3 powders on hand: Clays, WST and N320. I have only worked up loads for 165 and 180 rounds so far. 200s are new to me so looking for suggestions to load Extreme 200 grain plated FP bullets. Looking for a soft starting load for target shooting & plinking. Don't have a chrono so can you suggest some loads and COAL?

I have found published data on Hodgdon site for WST at 3.0 - 3.4 but my Speer manual says 3.8 - 4.5. That's quite a discrepancy?

I read where a comp needs a slower burning powder to create more gas to operate the comp more efficiently but I don't know what the burn rates are for these 3 powders and which would be best for the comp?

How does the COAL effect burn rates and is shorter better than longer?

Are you shooting minor or steel challenge? If you are those powders are great with the open gun. If you are shooting major you'd be best to try 135 to 155gr bullets with a powder like autocomp, hs6, aa7, 3n37 or silhouette

. Don't have a chrono

Hodgdon for WST at 3.0 - 3.4 but Speer says 3.8 - 4.5. That's quite a discrepancy?

Right. That's why You Need a Chrono.

Start low (3.0 might be for lead bullets, and 3.8 might

be for Jacketed bullets - I'm not sure- just guessing),

and work up slowly with the Chrono. :cheers:

Are you shooting minor or steel challenge? If you are those powders are great with the open gun. If you are shooting major you'd be best to try 135 to 155gr bullets with a powder like autocomp, hs6, aa7, 3n37 or silhouette

Not a competition shooter. I only shoot paper targets for fun. I am having problems with G35 slide not cycling w/ comp and trying to find the sweet spot for reliability.

You will likely need to load hotter to get more of a recoil impulse. The comp adds lots of weight, so more recoil will usually help reliability. A slower burning powder will give you more recoil for the same velocity, and will also provide more gas to help the compensator reduce muzzle rise.

However, burn rate is only a general guide. The better rule of thumb concerning recoil is charge weight. More charge weight for the same velocity means more recoil - regardless of a gunpowder's burn rate.

• 3 weeks later...

Last 2 guys have right idea. Lighter projectile with more slower powder to produce as much gas as possible to make the comp function. Think 155 gr or lighter.

I'd be tempted by the 135gr if I could get a good quantity of them. Working my way up to a max load.