Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the trick to chamfering the Black 38super 8 shot cylinder

mrmetalweld57

I did a Ti cylinder today.

Posted Image

Tomorrow I tackle the .38 Super. Wish me luck. Also, I don't feel like starting a new topic, but for those running a JM mainspring with the spur still on, what rebound spring do you use for ~6# trigger with all the normals (Fed well seated, Starline etc.)? I addressed a few small areas in the action and when I put the kit in and set the strain screw to 6# the rebound spring seemed heavy. I am not opposed to clipping coils if that is the solution, but I don't know the weight of the spring in his kit either. Thanks,

Lee

11 pound rebound with 2 coils cut off.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Nice alecmc,

Where did you find the Ty cylinder? I talk to S&W they told me unavailable.

private seller,

i was calling S&W for damn near 8 months straight for ti cylinders for 625 and 627 and they never have anything in stock.

Nice alecmc,

Where did you find the Ty cylinder? I talk to S&W they told me unavailable.

private seller,

i was calling S&W for damn near 8 months straight for ti cylinders for 625 and 627 and they never have anything in stock.

I've had 2 Ti 627/327 cylinders on BO for quite a while now. Just letting the BO ride. Maybe someday...

• 1 month later...

So I take it there's no issue on the Ti Cylinder with the coating or heat treatment/hardness once cut?

The only issue would be that Ti and Pb don't play well together and once the protective coating are gone this could be an issue.

Lee

I'm a bit slow, Pb?

So I take it there's no issue on the Ti Cylinder with the coating or heat treatment/hardness once cut?

The only issue would be that Ti and Pb don't play well together and once the protective coating are gone this could be an issue.

Lee

I'm a bit slow, Pb?

Forgive me Pb=Plumbum=lead's atomic symbol.

Lee

Lee

I'm a bit slow, Pb?

Forgive me Pb=Plumbum=lead's atomic symbol.

Lee

Yea just figured that out also.

• 6 months later...

Found this thread while trying to decide how to chamfer my new 929's cylinder. After seeing alecmc's post I dug thru my Dremel pile and viola, there's a 1/2" ball!!! Well, after about 30min sneaking up on it I have the light chamfer I was looking for.. Even the light bit done makes a huge difference loading with tight moons... Guess there is a use for a dremel after all!!! Little more polishing and we're good to go!!! Thanks for the tips!!!

post-16185-0-38831300-1416150544_thumb.j