Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternate powders for VV N320 behind a 40 cal bayou bullet 180g

harleyrider8276

I have started using e3 under 180's. This is an ICORE load for my 610 S&W revolver with 4 inch barrel.

I am Roll Crimping into the crimp groove on 180 grain round nose 38-40 cowboy action bullets.

I was after a Soft Shooting load. Clean was also a major consideration. I have found e3 to be very clean.

I only need to make 120 PF in ICORE Limited. My load of 2.9 grains is clocking around 850 fps. 850 x 180 = 153 PF

I am of the opinion that if someone at Lyman (Lead & Plated Bullet Data) will wake up and get to work on some loading data for e3 for the 38 Special, 40 S&W, and 45acp, it may very well be the go to powder in the next 5 years for match shooters. Not sure about 9mm. I do not own one, so I have not looked into loading for it.

Bob

Edited by VIPERONE

You can't rely on the manufacturers to produce load data for e3. Alliant has been deaf to this for a couple years. Its been up to us. A lot of competent people here on BE with good tested data.

They gave me some pretty good info, so I would not say "deaf".

Getting ready to start working up a load using Bayou 180's and e3. Will be used in my 646 and wanting to make major. Any advise concerning OAL and weight to start? Thinking 170 PF will be my target.

Just chron'ed this month.

180 Bayou, 3.9 E-3, WSP, 1.132 OAL

Avg fps 945, ES 25, SD 6.7, Hi 956 fps, Low 931 fps.

170 PF.

I'm sure your going to load longer that that, but these are my numbers out of a CZ Tactical Sport.

I have talked with Ben at Alliant on several occasions about this and he keeps telling me that they are going to publish pistol data but also always says "just use the Red Dot data until we do". I have found e3 to be a most amazing powder for pistol rounds. I have loaded about 16 pounds of it so far and have pushed the limits with it just to see what it would do. Everyone seems to be of the opinion that e3 is dangerous because of the burn rate charts printed by the various loading manuals but this is not what I see in actual practice. The velocity it produces per grain of powder is better than anything Alliant sells for handgun loading. I know there is a limit with e3 and I know it is a faster burning powder but I have reached 1200+ with 124 grain bullets in 9mm and still no high pressure signs of any kind. Maybe if enough of us email them it will prompt some data but until then we will just have to experiment. I am pretty sure that MarkCO got the same response as I did when he talked with Alliant.