Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil master or not?

Matt W

So, I bought a STI Tactical 4.15 9mm and it has the Recoil master in it. When I shoot some 115's in it, it just seems

like the slide is so slow. I did some looking and it appears some people love it or hate it. I don't remember the nose

of the pistol dipping or not. It was a used pistol, so I'm not a 100% sure its stock, but appears to be. I'm used to Glocks

and M&P's where the slides seem faster.

Anyone's thoughts? I just didn't want to spend the extra on new springs and a FLGR if I don't need them.

Thanks

Have had 10+ different STI pistols in various calibers. All came with the RM. My first few pistols I ran them with the RM and didn't have any problems other than a "weird" recoil impulse. Maybe similar to what you're experiencing. Never had one fail. However, as I started to run my guns and reloads closer to a particular power-factor (major/minor) I started having feeding and or ejecting problems with all of them. Once I swapped out the RM for a FLGR and power-factor appropriate spring weight, I noticed ALL OF MY GUNS ran smoother, more reliably, and with a "friendlier" recoil impulse. I've since replaced all of the RMs with Dawson tool-less FLGRs and appropriate springs and NEVER looked back. It's been 5-6 years since then and I'd never go back to the RM.

Hope that helps, YMMV.

Cheers623

DVC

Well now i guess I need to go shopping. I was going to start reloading for my 9mm this winter, but I don't have figured out what I want to run yet. I was thinking something like the 125's or so. Currently I just shoot the 115 factory loads. Guess i'll have to figure out what springs I want to run and go from there.

I dumped my recoil master and went with a solid guide rod and 12.5 ISMI spring. That is for 40 major. The problem that your having is the problem with the recoil master, you just can't tune it. Mine worked fine I just wanted to be able to tweak my slide speed to my loads.

Ok probably gonna do the guide rod, at least give it a try anyway. Any particular brand? A few mentioned the tool less

type, but i only found those for the 5" guns and not the STI 4.15".

And where should I start spring wise? I'm shooting 115 factory loads, but I want to go to the 125's when i start reloading.