Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super Newbie ? On Different shooting sports...

PatriotMac

Ok, I’m obviously a super Newbie to shooting sports so this question may seem foolish to some but here it goes. What is the difference between the different shooting sports between IPSC, USPSA, IDPA, GLOCK shooting Sports, Steel Challenge, etc. And are there any that would be more Newbie friendly and more geared toward using real world scenarios and gear.

I’m really not interested in shooting with a 3,000 dollar race gun at this time. Maybe down the road I will but for right now I’m interested in shooting in more realistic situations with a stock or near stock firearm I am likely to carry in real life.

I live in El Paso TX so I will need to know if there are any that are more prevalent in this area as well if that’s the case. Any advice or recommendations on which entity I should be leaning toward would be appreciated.

USPSA or IDPA (or both, if you can live with the rules differences).

The Steel Challenge might be a little easier to get started ...

Don't worry - attend the next match in your area, and bring your

equipment. Tell the match director that this is your First Time,

and he'll set you all up and guide you - you'll have a blash.

Just remember, the first time out - speed and accuracy are NOT

important - ONLY SAFETY.

Good luck. :cheers:

IDPA is more geared towards carry equipment.

Steel challenge is little to no movement so it's a good place to start.

IPSC is the world body of which USPSA is a region of. A few rules differences but quite similar.

GSSF (Glock) is more about accuracy and kind of like target practice in my opinion.

IDPA is more geared towards carry equipment.

Steel challenge is little to no movement so it's a good place to start.

IPSC is the world body of which USPSA is a region of. A few rules differences but quite similar.

GSSF (Glock) is more about accuracy and kind of like target practice in my opinion.

Good Breakdown. Think I'm leaning toward IDPA but will see if there is any Steel Challenge in my area as well. Will probably take up Hi Power Jack on his advise and check out a local USPSA match as well.

A good place to start is with the purchase of a glock 34 or 35, or a 17 if you like a little shorter sight radius. All of the disciplines you mentioned have classes that allow that weapon. There are tons of aftermarket upgrades that you can add to both if you decide to move up In classes like from stock to enhanced service pistol in IDPA. It's all about fun and being safe as had been said. I second to let the range staff know that it's your first time and they will guide you through the fun.

IDPA and USPSA production or Single Stack will be the most similar between the two games. Little if any "race" type upgrades. Production is Shot with typical polymer guns and SS CAN be shot with basic 1911's.

IDPA requires things like reloading behind cover and not dropping mags with ammo in them on the ground, etc. and you have to wear a concealment garment such as a vest. USPSA Production lets

you run and gun and have fun. I believe IDPA round counts are lower as well.

Steel is the only game you can shoot a 22 in.

Looks like most of your questions regarding the differences have been covered. As far as El Paso is concerned here's the line-up:

IDPA: Every third Saturday at 9 AM at the Fort Bliss Rod and Gun Club-when you get there ask for Steve Seligman-he will take care of you. First-time shooters shoot for free

USPSA: Second Saturday of the month at Fort Bliss Rod and Gun Club. Winter hours start at 10AM. Ask for Randy or Francis.

Steel Challenge: Every 4th Saturday at the Butterfield Range-Las Cruces, NM at 9 AM. Ask for Robert Mullan or Bill Miller.

I am not aware of any GSSF clubs in this area

Edited by The_Vigilante

I would advise you to find and shoot a few steel challenge matches to start. It's the best for beginners. Go watch an IDPA and USPSA match. Ask questions, look at gear, listen to stage briefings and discussions among shooters. You'll see what's different and what's similar and you can decide which sport and division works for you and your equipment.

I picked up action shooting earlier this year during the ammo insanity. I was cooked on 9mm, but had enough 45 to run my Glock 21 for an Intro to USPSA class as my local club and then to do a GSSF match. I got 9mm in the Spring and was able get started in earnest. I started off shooting some Steel Challenge matches (which are awesome) at my local club and then started doing weeknight matches as often as I could.

My first major Steel Challenge match was 2013 Steel Challenge at Frostproof which was amazing. My first Level II match will be at the same range for the Florida State USPSA Championships and I made sure I squaded up with one of my shooting mentors.

So check out some matchs, have some fun, and figure out what you want to shoot. I'd recommend not buying much equipment but whatever you need as a minimum to get started until you're sure about what games and divisions you want to shoot. The equipment rules between games can be different enough where a really nice pistol for one, doesn't fit as well (or at all) in another game.

Check out IDPA and USPSA web sites. They have club finder threads to lead you to local clubs. You can also check out the rules there.

Richard

PS: USPSA also owns "Steel Challenge" so you can check out SC there also.

Just a heads up. When you are first starting steel can be a humbling experience. My first match was steel challenge with a Glock23 and the instant feedback was rough. You can suck through USPSA or IDPA without slowing down. You will not be the only one, but milking a grip trying to hit a stop plate 4 times is pretty obvious.

I don't now about El Paso, but the 2 clubs I shoot at in Oregon both have classes that teach the basics and safety. Great way to start if you can find one. 350 rounds in 6 hours finishing up with running some small stages.

+1 to those who recommending starting with Steel Challenge. After my class, I did 3 gun first. That was pretty intimidating. But no one got hurt and I didn't get disqualified. I considered it a win.

Good advice here. However, I don't always agree with starting with Steel Challenge just because you don't have to move. Heck, in your avatar pic, you have a football jersey and a pistol. That tells me you probably want to run and gun, USPSA for you! :>)

Mike

I usually think IDPA is easier to start out in for most people. The round counts are lower, and they generally tell you exactly what you need to do in the stage briefing, so you'll spend less time scratching your head while watching other shooters.

You'll find that most good shooters compete in multiple sports, so go to a match and ask what other matches they'd recommend.

Well I think everyone else has got the matches covered. I wad going to say in this game everyone has differing opinions on what is the best gun. If you want to be out of the norm and would like a nice heavier all steel frame pistol with a lifetime warranty I would say go with a Eaa witness. They aren't very common so there aren't a whole lot of after market parts but its a great platform and I enjoy it. The witness runs about as much as a glock and mags are about $25 each, you can run it 100% stock straight out of the box. I literally got mine took it apart, cleaned it, oiled it, and took it to the range... Shot a match with it that weekend and I must say I don't think I will be changing platforms any time soon. On the other hand if you are looking for a lighter polymer framed gun with a TON of after market parts that most everyone seems to like, I would say go with a glock. I cannot personally vouch for them but I might know one or two who like them ;

They both run between 4-500 dollars so they ate both pretty economical.

Hope this helped/just my 2 cents,

Will

Edited by george76904

• 4 weeks later...
Guest COUNTYGUARDIAN3

Did not see many advocating GSSF shooting. I picked it up about three years ago after having been out of competitive shooting for about 20 years. Found it to be very challenging (for a dude of my age and eyesight) and have met no small number of new friends. Matches are sponsored all over the US with a listing of dates and locations on the GSSF website.

Plusses are that you use virtually stock guns with the least expensive ammo that will feed them (no power factors, etc.). This keeps costs to as low as possible.

Also, GSSF awards random cash prizes and random Glock pistols to the enritety of the participants of the match. You can shoot a division, have a good time, finish dead last in the division and still win money or a gun. I know this for a fact LOL.

Good entry into competitive shooting. As noted in a previous post, geared first toward accuracy then time. Great fun for novice or experienced shooters.

I think it depends on your personality too. I shot GSSF Bianchi and Steel and find them boring. I wasn't becuse I was a good fast shooter then I just like the dynamic movement, freestyle, high round count, brain challenging USPSA matches.

You don't need a $3000 gun in any sport but I will warn you. There are plenty of shooters shooting $4000 Single Stack and Open guns. You are competiting against people using similar equipment but others will be shooting the course with you. Pick one and practice. Its not the arrow its the indian. In any division

Edited by BSeevers

CG3, I can't fault your choice of GSSF except there are not a lot of clubs within easy driving distance in all areas. I think 2 hours is the closest around my neck of the woods. Hope to have one or two closer in the next year or so.

Richard