Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I really need a balance beam scale?

I started off using digital only. Then I found myself second guessing its accuracy and bought a balance beam to verify accuracy. This is potentially dangerous shit we're dealing with and a little planned redundancy gives me peace of mind. The day I lose my healthy fear and respect is the day I should quit reloading.

I only use digital. I use check weights periodically. I sold my beam scale NIB after about a year of starting reloading. I agree with the above that a new scale is only a day or two away if needed.

It just seems in my mind that a good calibrated digital would be more accurate. Maybe the digital now, and the beam in a few months? I have not started reloading yet. Just buying all that I need and will get the RL550 while I am off during Christmas and New Year. Have bullets, brass, powder, primers, bench that should be completed in a couple of weeks. Chrono(thinking CE ProChrono Digital) is on the list to get. Thanks for y'alls help.

I have found a use for both.

The balance beam is the scale I use when weighing a powder charge. Set the scale to the desired weight, put the powder pan on the scale and you have an instant reading and knowledge of how far off the charge is up to about four tenths of a grain.

The digital scale is really handy when weighing batches of things with different weights, like empty cases. For example, fussy rifle reloaders (I count myself among them) will sort brass by weight batches in some cases.

I have two digitals that go through mysterious periods of accuracy problems, some of which I attribute to their use in an unheated garage. They seem to want to "warm up" and will wander about .2 grains for no apparent reason. I don't trust them as the only source of information for weighing powder, although when initially setting up a charge I will use one because they're very portable. My balance beam scale sits on another bench where it will not be disturbed by the occasional shaking of the reloading bench as I operate the press (Dillon XL650).

If I had to have only one scale, it would be a balance beam.

Chris

I only use the digital scale attached to my RCBS Chargemaster. I calibrate it every time before I use it with the check weights it came with.

I did borrow my dad's Dillon beam scale and checked the first probably 500 throws and all were close enough for me to be happy.

The balance beam is the scale I use when weighing a powder charge. Set the scale to the desired weight, put the powder pan on the scale and you have an instant reading and knowledge of how far off the charge is up to about four tenths of a grain.

The digital scale is really handy when weighing batches of things with different weights, like empty cases. For example, fussy rifle reloaders (I count myself among them) will sort brass by weight batches in some cases.

I have two digitals that go through mysterious periods of accuracy problems, some of which I attribute to their use in an unheated garage. They seem to want to "warm up" and will wander about .2 grains for no apparent reason. I don't trust them as the only source of information for weighing powder, although when initially setting up a charge I will use one because they're very portable. My balance beam scale sits on another bench where it will not be disturbed by the occasional shaking of the reloading bench as I operate the press (Dillon XL650).

Chris

I'm surprised at your balance beam. Four tenths of a grain is not a very accurate reading. Even a cheaper digital can get witin +/- .1gr.

Chris

I'm surprised at your balance beam. Four tenths of a grain is not a very accurate reading. Even a cheaper digital can get witin +/- .1gr.

I didn't make myself clear. The graduations on the scale are .1 grain, it shows six graduations in either direction.

Chris

Chris

four tenths could be a MAJOR issue in something like 9MAJOR.

Chris

four tenths could be a MAJOR issue in something like 9MAJOR.

I wrote "..up TO four tenths...". Then i went out and looked at the scale, and the error range is six tenths, one-tenth at a time. Since I'm apparently unable to explain this in writing, this photo should make it clear. I need more coffee.

Chris

P1010582_zps579ec3b9.jpg

I never trust either the beam or electric scale - I trust my Chrono.

I use the scale as a first step in attaining PF

Then I shoot 20 over the chrono - see if the load needs to be adjusted.

If I have to adjust it, I fire 20 more over the chrono - until I get the

PF I want.

The scale doesn't have too much to do with that - just a starting point.

I have more trust of a balance beam than I will ever have for a digital scale.

Started out with a really cheap digital. Reputable brand but the numbers bounced all over the place right in the middle of weighing multiple charges, didn't matter how many times I recalibrated it. Also turned itself off at in opportune moments but like I said this was a cheap scale and doesn't reflect what the quality digitals might do for you.

Bought an RCBS 5-0-5 and couldn't be happier. Most of the time I prefer older technology.... But what would you expect from a guy who shoots a gun designed before his grandfather was born. :goof: I do believe this scale is made by the same folks who make the Dillon, Ohaus Corp.

I have been using the same RCBS beam scale since starting reloading about 40 years back. I also have a new Hornady digital I've been using for a few months. For some reason I always trust the beam scale and adjust the powder drop with it. The digital is used for checks while reloading since I think it is faster to respond. If ever in doubt I check with the beam scale.