Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tavor in 3 Gun?

jamesbtowle

Hey I'm searching around looking for anyone who has used a Tavor in a 3-Gun....I have not fired one but I am not all that happy with what I have and it seems to me a bullpup Type rifle with the weight on the shoulder end rather than the forearm end would be quicker to target....so where am I going wrong here because I have never seen one in 3-gun events...is it because of the long range shots?

There was a long thread on here about the Tavor specifically and most people did not favor it well. I have a friend that has one and I shot it...it was fun and the cool factor is up there but my tuned rifles are better suited for 3G. The most obvious attribute I noticed when I shot it is how it "jumps" quite a bit. Not sure if I'm just used to my rifles or what but it really did move around quite a bit more.

We plan on doing some 200 yard groups soon so I'll see what the accuracy is on his.

Edited by gng4life

...you're not "...going wrong", you're just going against 40+ years of commercial AR15 development.

Pro's: COOL factor, NEW factor, maneuverable (you can move with it in your shoulder, move things with your off hand, etc.)

Con's: I have not seen great accuracy; I have seen some POI shifts when holding it or supporting it variously; reloading is slower; trigger is 2-3X heavier than good AR; in danger of becoming just another collectable (i.e. IMI Galil) as far as factory support (for example: no spare parts available yet)

At the matches I have used it (all local) my "guesstimate" is that I have used about 1.5 - 2 times the ammo to complete a stage on average.

ericm

Well thanks guys....we are still talking about $2000.00 give or take and maybe I just got caught up in the Tavor new-thing thing but I did have high hopes everyone was going to say GET IT GET IT! lol..lol..ok back to the range. Someone else said they were not happy shooting prone and did not "feel" like they could hit 500yrd targets with store ammo.

A buddy pf mine has one, and while I have not shot it yet I did dry fire it the other day, I did like how it felt shouldered and can see it being quick for hoser stuff but i think it would be awkward on longer range shooting as it would be harder to rest on anything. the trigger on his gun was also VERY heavy, when I went to dry fire it i had to check several times that I had the safety off because when I pulled the take up out of the trigger it felt like the safety was still on as the break was so heavy. I didn't have a trigger scale but it was probably around 12+ lb

Mike

OK...guess you guys are going to put me on the spot....so here goes...I know JP as much as any media person knows someone they are filming. We filmed the RM3-Gun several times and also sponsored the Long Range Match. I do own one of his guns the CR-02 Super Match .223 with Acog 4x32 with a Vicking Tact. Forward grip / Magpul adj. stock and Hogue grip.....so that said I will admit I am still a newbee....I have the chance to shoot an event at least once a month and what I am finding is that the front end is heavier than the butt end and more of a challenge to keep it steady standing and firing....Sooo when I saw the Bullpups I thought well the weight is in the butt not the barrel...therefore should hold steadier when firing from a standing position? Now hey I work out twice a week..it's not lack of muscle here ok it's a holding steady on distance targets and a breath control issue....that is why I thought I would throw the question on the table. Whew... I'm out of breath..lol..lol..thanks!

Do you mean a CTR-02? If so, the CTR is a heavy gun, like someone said you could get a lighter-weight handguar, I like the seekins personally, and that may help with the weight balance issue that you have with your current JP. What kind of magpul adjustable stock are you using, there are several types with different weights.

I shot an AUG in the first USPSA 3 Gun Nationals and did ok with it. Didn't win, didn't lose. AUG triggers can be made better by far - but - will not equal a good AR trigger. I had a JP Tank Comp on it - which they specially threaded for me/it - and it stayed pretty flat. The game has progressed a lot since then and I doubt even a real "shark" could place real high with one. Has a nice wow factor and I'd really consider it if going into combat with one. I had what they called a "special receiver" which you could run a standard scope on and had a low powered Leupold variable on it.

Edited by Steve RA

Hey I'm searching around looking for anyone who has used a Tavor in a 3-Gun....I have not fired one but I am not all that happy with what I have and it seems to me a bullpup Type rifle with the weight on the shoulder end rather than the forearm end would be quicker to target....so where am I going wrong here because I have never seen one in 3-gun events...is it because of the long range shots?

Bullpups suffer from craptacular triggers. Generally don't have free floated barrels. Most of the Aug's and MSAR as well as a USR I owned were all 2 to 4 MOA guns. Good enough for military standards but not good enough for this game.

pat

It is a rifle screaming for a decent drop in trigger group.

Geissele has stated that they have one in the design phase. I'll buy it as soon as it becomes available.

I probably still won't use the Tavor in a match though... not a big one anyway. It's a good rifle, but not nearly as good as my purpose-built AR.

If the balance is an issue, why not sell the JP barrel and get a lighter contour barrel and a heavier stock? Should cost a lot less money and leave you with a viable platform with a good trigger and all the other desirable characteristics of the AR.

I know your going to laugh...but it's like asking me to sell the factory wheels and rims on my Vett for custom wheels and rims...looks better..rides better...but is it original equipment? Guess I'm too anal to break up the gun....Hey but good idea and I thank you for trying to help me make a decision....Thanks!

I know your going to laugh...but it's like asking me to sell the factory wheels and rims on my Vett for custom wheels and rims...looks better..rides better...but is it original equipment? Guess I'm too anal to break up the gun....Hey but good idea and I thank you for trying to help me make a decision....Thanks!

At the end of the day does it matter as long as it shoots like you want?

Pat

Hey Pat your right...the truth is I need to ask myself this question when I am looking at the JP ---> " Are you a collector or a competitor?" Thanks....and "Polymer" you made an excellent point...if I have the $$ to spend put the JP in a frame and hang it.... then build the gun that will better your odds in a competition..Both point well made here guys.

I have a Tavor, remove the adverse conditions spring on the trigger pack and the trigger pull drops to 9 pounds, break it in and it will drop to 8. It is a heavy pull compared to my SD3G trigger but it is a crisp let off.

Mag changes can be done in around a second and a half, yes it is VERY fast, it is easyer to do a fast mag change on a Tavor than a AR. There is no time difference in a regular mag change, and a mag change + release the bolt.

Strong hand releases the mag While weak hand is bringing the mag up. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QRlPf0P7aMg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQRlPf0P7aMg

It transitions CRAZY fast, if you transition L to R your hits will be on the right edge or miss. You have to get use to it.

I love the weapon but I don't have a lot of time on it to run it in a match.

Edited by Finbox