Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best kept secret on budget great shotgun.

gunfighteruk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked one up last week for just over 400 bucks out the door. So far I am very happy with it. It has a plain finish with nothing special going on in the looks department. That being said, it's very simple with very few moving parts. The few moving parts are very robust, which leads me to believe this thing will last for sometime.

Curious to how the M3000 shoots, I brought it out to the Indian River Trap and Skeet Club to take it for a test drive. Which was hilarious because my shotgun was by far the cheapest and ugliest at the club that day. I got a few comments and chuckles, but everyone was curious.

It took me all of five minutes to break it down, oil it up, and adjust the shim to pitch the buttstock to align the bore to my eye. Piece of cake, again very simple design, but that's not a bad thing.

Next I hit the range with an assortment of powder puff loads. I fully expected it to need a break in. 300 rounds later, no jams, no feeding issues, it simply ran. It points easy and recoil is very manageable, not it's not as soft as a gas gun, but it's plenty soft to shoot all day. The recoil is very smooth and recovers nicely.

All in all, it is a solid foundation. I'm going to order my Nordic Tube, open up the loading port and use the 1000+ I saved going this route on ammo.

A few people at the club shot the M3000 also now appropriately nick named the beast. While it's not a looker, it shoots good.

I hate to say it's good value for money, because that implies it's cheap and not good. It's a practical designed work horse built with only the essentials for an economical price.

I'm happy with my purchase, it works... It's a beast!

I'll report back after it is 3gun ready and I put it through some hard use.

post-33357-0-38164300-1386599750_thumb.j

Edited by OperationHitFactor

In answer to a private question and just to clarify. No I'm not a 3gun shooter, but I have been shooting shotguns my whole life. I went this route to learn the sport. I couldn't justify spending tons of money out the gate to learn a new sport. 3gun looks like a fun, so after I learn the sport, try out other people's guns, and get an idea of what I like or don't like, then I'll drop some coin. Until then, I'll use my beast to figure it all out and have fun.

I have been using one HARD for the entire second half of this season, and only had trouble with it twice. (Both my fault!) First time was an FTF from a poor cleaning job after I opened the loading port and ported the barrel. Only once, but after the match I broke it down and thoroughly cleaned it instead of just blowing the crap out with an air nozzle :rolleyes: . Lotsa aluminum under the action bars, duh. The only other time I had a problem was after re-cutting the trigger hook to reduce engagement distance and sweeten up the pull, I took too much, and it doubled twice in a match. Both times I was shooting so fast the RO didn't notice, but I knew it happened :D . I advanced the disconnector timing to close the gap, and no issues since. I have several thousand through it now, and mostly the cheap Walmart Federal crap, with no malfs. Only thing I have found so far it won't cycle are the Fiocchi low recoil slugs. Ejects the empty, but next shell stays on the carrier. No issue with any other low recoil slugs tried. I milled out the loading port like the pics Kelley posted in the clays forum (thank you sir!), works great. Nordic mag tube, Benelli Supernova threads opened up in the lathe. I am intending to make a nut to replace the Nordic as a drop-in part for this model if we can ever get the AR guys to quit ordering parts and let us catch up! Nice thing about the modular Nordic tube is that only the attachment nut needs to be manufactured, the tube itself is interchangeable. Somebody here asked if we were going to put the nuts into production, Sorry I didn't reply before I forgot who asked. All I can say is I hope someday we aren't buried. If we do, I will announce it by buying in as a vendor, as I don't want to take advantage of the nice folks who pay their dues to keep this forum going. I appreciate the genuinely good people on this forum and I think that following the rules is important for all of us, so I desire be part of what makes this forum special.

Tom

Only thing I have found so far it won't cycle are the Fiocchi low recoil slugs. Ejects the empty, but next shell stays on the carrier. No issue with any other low recoil slugs tried.

Tom, were you using the 1oz @ 1150fps slugs or the 7/8oz @ 1300fps slugs? Fiocchi makes both in the LR Aero line. The Benelli M2 generally does not cycle the 1oz slugs, but I have not run across a Benelli that would not cycle the lighter, faster slugs, which makes sense—they make about 200ft*lb more at the muzzle than the heavier LR slug. I'd be curious if the same holds true for the M3000.

Only tried the 7/8oz from Fiocchi, I have never actually seen their 1oz slugs. It has been hell finding a selection of slugs here for almost a year. I have run it successfully with low recoil from Remington, Speer Lawman, and Winchester, and std slug loads from Remington and Winchester. In one September match I had slugs from 3 different boxes in the magazine at once! Whatever I could scrounge before each match. The ONLY one I have tried that wouldn't cycle was the Fiocchi.

Tom

Interesting. Im running a 930 right now, how do you think these compare?

David and I were your ROs at the Rockcastle match in November. I run a Mossberg 930 that I converted from the Turkey model. I put the Stoeger together for David before this match. We actually sold a JM930 to build the Stoeger and I think it turned out well. Me personally I like the Mossberg, but I have had exceptionally good luck with my gun and feel comfortable maintaining it. I have practiced only slightly with the Stoeger and it seems to be a good budget minded option. I still am working on a couple things to make it more three gun friendly....mainly opening up the loading area. I do like the transition from receiver to forearm better on the Stoeger, but will say that the inertia system recoil is different than a 930 and would be something to get used to. If your JM is still working then I say stick with it......if you are having issues then a Stoeger would make a good option to look into.

The 3000 has a longer barrel shank than the 2000 and an improved ejector system. Those are the main differences, others are mostly cosmetic. It is a significant improvement for rigidity, reliability, and wear resistance. 2000 got a reputation as a finicky gun, poorly fit and finished. In that regard, the 3000 is also much improved.

Damn! That is something I should have noted!. Can the safety be reversed? I will have an answer Sunday.

Curious for an update to this if possible. Thanks.

Crap! I forgot...I will have the M3000 back in my hands Saturday...I'll return here Sat night!