Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Nation Outlaw Matches?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was hoping to shoot the divisional series next year. Sorry to see it go.

I hope their regional match setup works out for them. I've got a list of matches I'm planning to attend for next year. I may try to attend one of these matches, likely at Rockcastle, but may not have the chance/money. The matches are spread out enough I wouldn't be able to attend more than one and also attend the matches I was already looking forward to.

On a positive side, with one body governing the semipro matches, the matches should be more equal in comparison. Hopefully that allows more "shooter equity" as I think someone called it, because getting semipro points in comparison to whatever top pro happened to be able to show up or not show up to a major match could really skew results for the points series.

Was hoping to shoot the divisional series next year. Sorry to see it go.

I hope their regional match setup works out for them. I've got a list of matches I'm planning to attend for next year. I may try to attend one of these matches, likely at Rockcastle, but may not have the chance/money. The matches are spread out enough I wouldn't be able to attend more than one and also attend the matches I was already looking forward to.

On a positive side, with one body governing the semipro matches, the matches should be more equal in comparison. Hopefully that allows more "shooter equity" as I think someone called it, because getting semipro points in comparison to whatever top pro happened to be able to show up or not show up to a major match could really skew results for the points series.

With only 200 slots / match and only four matches, racking up semi-pro points is going to be a bitch next year.

Edited by gose

There were 119 people in the semi pro series this year and something like 55 in the pro series. I took 36th after some rough stages in each match, but I ended up in good company IMO. Since I wouldn't be able to make the matches, that's one open spot of less than 175 competitors out of an "approximate" 200 people at each regional match. You have to figure that there will be a certain number of people who back out for next year for various reasons and a certain number of people who will jump into the race. I think they will be fine around 200 shooters and I don't think anyone will lose out on semipro points if they are signing up for matches on time.

There were 119 people in the semi pro series this year and something like 55 in the pro series. I took 36th after some rough stages in each match, but I ended up in good company IMO. Since I wouldn't be able to make the matches, that's one open spot of less than 175 competitors out of an "approximate" 200 people at each regional match. You have to figure that there will be a certain number of people who back out for next year for various reasons and a certain number of people who will jump into the race. I think they will be fine around 200 shooters and I don't think anyone will lose out on semipro points if they are signing up for matches on time.

Yeah, youre probably right. Having fewer matches will probably mean less than 119 semi-pros next year as well.

1st year shooting 3 gun and I am around 20ish in the Semi pro series with plenty of mistakes along the way..

With that said is 3GN going to make pro series shooter pot any better? As it stands if 55 shooters pay 1300.00 to be a member and they then pay 250.00 to shoot in 4 seperate matches 3GN is racking in $126,500.00 based on my math they are only paying out $90,000 and $50,000 of the payout is courtesy of Leupold Tactical Optics and NRA Sports thus leaving them with $86,500.00 from the pro series alone.

It doesn't make sense to shoot the pro series unless you are consistently in the top 3 at each match... Now that I have chased points all year I have come to the conclusion to stay home for the Pro Series qualifier. I cannot justify spending thousands of dollars to reap no benefit. I do love shooting but I can shoot plenty of outlaw matches and reap a reward for decent performance rather than NOTHING! Hope someone from 3gun reads this and makes a positive change for the shooters!

Sorry for the Rant.

1st year shooting 3 gun and I am around 20ish in the Semi pro series with plenty of mistakes along the way..

With that said is 3GN going to make pro series shooter pot any better? As it stands if 55 shooters pay 1300.00 to be a member and they then pay 250.00 to shoot in 4 seperate matches 3GN is racking in $126,500.00 based on my math they are only paying out $90,000 and $50,000 of the payout is courtesy of Leupold Tactical Optics and NRA Sports thus leaving them with $86,500.00 from the pro series alone.

It doesn't make sense to shoot the pro series unless you are consistently in the top 3 at each match... Now that I have chased points all year I have come to the conclusion to stay home for the Pro Series qualifier. I cannot justify spending thousands of dollars to reap no benefit. I do love shooting but I can shoot plenty of outlaw matches and reap a reward for decent performance rather than NOTHING! Hope someone from 3gun reads this and makes a positive change for the shooters!

Sorry for the Rant.

Jeremy,

Unless things have changed for 2014, the $1300 Tour Fee included all 4 match fees. They paid a minimum of $250 to every competitor who finished the match, at every match, along with some pretty good product based prizes if you were in the Top 30-ish. For me, it was well worth the fee.

It is my understanding that these new events outside of the Pro Series will be "outlaw" in the type of stages seen.

Longer shots and use natural terrain, etc.

I think it is supposed to be a mix of bay Pro Series type stages and long range natural terrain stages... like a normal outlaw 3 gun match.. :)

It is my understanding that these new events outside of the Pro Series will be "outlaw" in the type of stages seen.

Longer shots and use natural terrain, etc.

I think it is supposed to be a mix of bay Pro Series type stages and long range natural terrain stages... like a normal outlaw 3 gun match.. :)

Cool, lets say it a third time. these matches will incorporate some "outlaw" elements.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Sorry for the Rant.

Don't sell yourself short! If you're finishing that well in year 1 you will be getting a lot better which means you could be a contender. Do you think I plan to move down the leaderboard next year?

I think everyone that shoots on the Pro Series would love to see larger payouts for everyone. I would love to see every shooter get $1500 cash or more. That way everyone is being paid to be there which defines a professional sport.

It costs about $1000-1500 to shoot any major 3 gun match depending on what hotels you stay at how nice of a rental car you get etc.

With that said all of the $1300 in entry fees for the Pro Series are paid back in Cash at each match. Here is the payout schedule form the last Pro match. The Top 3 payouts are not out of entry fees. They come from Stag Arms, Magpul or whomever puts up the $10,000 to have their name on those big checks that Daniel, Keith and a few lucky others are always holding up.

ProSeriesPayouts_zps71bb87d7.jpg

You need to finish about Top 15 or to better to earn about $1000 in cash and prizes as it stands now. I finished 15th at the last match ad got a $750 check and an awesome Seekins Precision gift certificate worth about $300 in product. I am lucky I live 1.5 hours from the range so it only cost me $500 to shoot the match. That includes, match fees, fuel, hotel for one night, food for a day, and match ammo.

Now if you go to an Outlaw Match like Rocky Mountain or FNH which have the biggest prize tables you will likely get a $1200-1500 rifle for 15th place. Remember those are the best prize table out there. At some of the major matches that don't have those big sponsors like Superstition or Midwest you will be under $1000 in prize value by 15th spot. So it really isn't that far out of line with the average match. Now should it be in line with the average match or should it be above and beyond because it is the PRO SERIES. Hopefully there is more to come as each year the payouts have grown down the line.

Speaking of making money shooting matches. I too try to pick the best opportunity to get my expenses back when shooting a match. This year I have shot 17 state, regional, or national level matches with 3 more to go. Here is what it cost me to do so and what the rate of return is on those matches. If you're in it to make money your going to be sadly disappointed. This does not take into account the days off of work which is well over 20 and probably closer to 30 or the help that I get from my awesome sponsors. As of now I am still $1300 in the red for the year.

2013MatchExpenses_zps346657dc.jpg

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I got the feeling the international match last weekend at the rock was this type of format. A couple bay stages, a couple with some rifle steel. 4 classifieds. It was a decent mix. Not a lot of movement. I would not put it in the "outlaw category" at all but much more fun than the pro series from my personal perspective.

Of course blue ridge and TFD were my 2 favorite this year so take with a grain of salt.

The biggest difference was the total time scoring. Me no like.

Edited by Lead-Head

Thanks Jessie and B.J. you both had great information! I didn't see the detailed pro series payout schedule on their website. Knowing what you have shown me makes it more reasonable. I am by no means in the sport to make money but I will not aimlessly waste money. I like the spreadsheet you made Jessie. Thanks again!

The new semi pro series does make more sense and it will be a fair race as stated before by someone else.

Sorry for the Rant.

AFAIK, 3GN is a business with salary expenses, where as most other matches are run with volunteers. Employees are usually more expensive than volounteers ;)

(ETA: not in reference to the numbers above, just a general reflection on why the price tables at the pro matches might seem smaller than some might expect)

Edited by gose