Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first match today.

quicky06

Finally got off of my ass and went to a local USPSA match. I have shot a couple 3 Guns but had to sell all my caddies but dont have the funds to replace them yet, havnt shot any match in over a year.

Well I finally got up and shot a Pistol match because i have everything for that. Shot Limited with my MP40 PRO 5" with all the goodies. Was alot of fun, Pistol has always been my weakest link so i plan on shooting atleast one match a month. Went in with a simple goal of not DQing.

First stage was a standards stage, first time I have shot a Virginia count, and I missed my last shot and took another shot out of habit.

Well I got warned once that i came close to the 180 on the second stage ( first had no movement) I am a righty and I had to choose between going backwards or going to my left so i went to my left. Nice helpful talk with the RO as soon as the buzzer went off with him kindly warning me and taking the time to tell me exactly what I did wrong.

Forgot about 2 mini poppers that where hidden behind 2 full size poppers,Told my self in the walk through but I shot the big ones and moved on. Add to that that i forgot to reload and went to slide lock with one target lef

As the match went on I got used to the luxury of shooting a big cardboard target instead of 8" steel plates ( my clubs plate racks) and had a miss on a Virginia count classifier(this time i only loaded my mags to what was needed, but looking back if i would of had a malfunction i would of gotten a FTE), round went to the let of the target when transitioning between targets left to right. .

Over all I am happy and hooked now, EVERYONE was nice and helpful. cant wait for the next match.

Also shot my first USPSA today. Besides Bullseye it was my first pistol competition. Like you I had some screwups. Planned the stages out and then on a couple the plan didn't work out. Went to slide lock twice on one stage. Almost broke the 180 rule when I crossed over to a box with a window that I kind of had to squat down to shoot through. When I went into it I was due for a reload and I brought my pistol up to my body and according to the gallery I was very close to breaking 180. I didn't even realize I had done it.

I definately loved shooting the 5 stages. Didn't set the world on fire with my times or hits. But I'll be shooting again next month.

I've now shot two matches, plus a couple two stage mini-matches. What you're saying sounds like my matches. I shoot single stack .45 and first stage I shot I ran out of ammo on last target. It was a 32 shot minimum stage and only had 4 mag holders. Took an extra shot or two to get one popper down and went to slide lock with one more shot needed. Had stuck an extra mag in back pocket, but couldn't find it as had fallen flat in bottom of deep pocket. Had pre-planned the stage and how to have enough ammo on my belt (was supposed to charge weapon and insert the mag in back pocket) but when got called up to box mind went blank I guess and forgot. Have also been cautioned on the 180 rule as when moving to left and reloading had a tendency to turn gun to left so magwell is facing me. Sometimes have it pre-planned, but miss a target or something else goes wrong and forget the plan. After a few times it begins to all come together better though and you can go back to being able to think while you're shooting the stage.

The only money I plan on spending is on match fees and ammo at this time.... we shall see how long that lasts. Just ordered 2000 200gn lead bullets. mail man refused to deliver the flat rate box had to go pick it up from the post office.

One thing I love about shooting sports is everyone is more then willing to help out the unkown face.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Always load your mags to the max the division allows...don't ever assume that you won't need it.

YUP, I always do that - learned the hard way with a procedural in an IDPA match when I was told I had only fired 10 shots when the slide locked back. Could have sworn I had 10+1, but the timer said otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the same thing with new to USPSA shooters today in our match, gave same counsel. I see it all the time, shooters who have been trained to always bring the pistol to their face with the magwell facing them- Ok, that is the normal tactical training and makes sense- until you are not facing downrange! Might be the hardest thing I see people have to change.

Sounds like you all had good matches!

Shot my 5th match this past Saturday. I think I'm getting better, but it seems the stages are getting harder. Longer shots, Texas Stars, swingers, and other things I've not seen before and therefore can't practice or prepare for. Still having a blast though I'm still having too many mistakes for my liking. I haven't gotten yet to the point where I feel I can move smoothly and quickly through the stages like I mentally plan it. Something always seem to happen unexpectedly that throws my perfect plan in the basket. I started out shooting slow compared to everyone else and scoring as many and usually more points hitting the targets than most everyone else, but at twice the time and finishing near the bottom. Then started trying to shoot faster and started missing too many targets and still finishing near the bottom. Now trying to find a happy medium.

Now trying to find a happy medium.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still trying to FAHM 20 years later:))

The trick is to shoot to hit what you need to hit everytime as quickly as

possible.

That sounds like I just said shoot as fast as you can, and hope that you hit -

But, that's NOT what I said:)

As fast as you can - shoot to hit. Slow down the shooting a bit, and do

everything else fast - moving, reloading, etc. :cheers: