Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pike's Peak Shotgun Challenge

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Maize,

We are super stoked to hear that you will be able to join us for the clinic Friday! As Mark said, we will be starting at 3:00PM and going till ? We will be going over several shooting and reloading skills and drills and then walking some of the stages for the match to do stage breakdown and planning.

We look forward to seeing you out there!

James

The Noveske Shooting Team

Carbon Arms Corp.

Cameon,

That is awesome that you are working on your load and watching Janna's video. She is really good at making it very easy to understand and pick up quickly. I know she will be happy and able to help you a lot at the clinic.

James

The Noveske Shooting Team

Carbon Arms Corp.

Ok, learned my lesson again :( Never clean you gun before a match.... Cleaned the SLP tonight and today it wont cycle..... Pretty sure I made this mistake before last years Noveske match too.

Congrats to my Freedom Munitions teammates Jansen Jones on his pump win, Janna Reeves on her High Lady win and James Casanova on the Auto victory! After watching there video I am really pissed off that I missed this match. I will damn sure be there next year.

Nice showing team Noveske. Thanks so much for giving our shooters the clinics on Friday!

Big shout out to Deane Graves on his win in Open. Some amazing sports center worthy stages.

Thanks to the staff for working hard to keep me bored on Saturday!

Thanks Mike for putting it all together!

Lots of fun was had with scatter guns yesterday. Kudos to Mike Payne and all his staff that pulled this off. Pikes Peak Gun Club is a shotgun centric range with trap, skeet and sporting clays ranges. The match utilized 3 of the sporting clays stages with static steel added tot he flying birds, one natural gulley and then six stages on traditional USPSA berms. We had thrown birds activated by the shooters foot, thrown birds activated by the timer at 3 second intervals, lots of popper activated kickers, several swinging paper targets, a couple max traps and a breaching door. The stages were challenging, consistent and fun. Some pictures below.

Stage 2 was shot from inside a duck blind, 8 thrown birds were activated by the timer thrown from roughly 7,8, 9,10, 12, 1, 3, 5 and the shooter was at 6 o'clock. Then 8 static steel.

10367182_711464295561926_568999363354617

Stage 3 had 2 thrown clays activated by the shooters foot and then a bunch of steel and a spinner.

1468671_711464472228575_3811451975443943

Stage 4 was in a natural gulley with small steels on the sides of the gulley and 5 poppers at the end of the gulley 3 of which had clay kickers activated by them.

10298764_711464528895236_875019077646719

Stage 5 had a Rocky Mountain Targets breaching door the shooter shot from the start box, then ran through the door over a step pad to activate 2 max traps and 2 swingers. Then went on to shoot some static clays and steel.

10320457_711464672228555_241851089935461

Stage 6 had some static clays (including 2 no shoot clays), 2 paper and then a Texas Star obscured by barrels

10294398_711464858895203_240150872860608

Stage 7 had a real tight shooting area with 4 arrays of 4 steels.

1506788_711465008895188_7291081964330440

Stage 8 had shooters shooting of a shaky bridge and popper activated and static clays.

Stage 9 had a spinner, static clays, plate rack, and slug paper.

Stage 1 was shot on an elevated platform at static steel, a clay wheel and 6 shooter activated thrown birds.

rtr,

It was fun shooting with you. I don't really ever get to!

The rest of Squad 8 was a blast as well! Some new to action shotgun, but everybody was really good and were fun to shoot with!

Really enjoy meeting new people...including parents!! :D Keep working on your mom to become a rifle woman!

Thanks to all!

:wub: Denise

Our first Shotgun Challenge is behind us. Whew what a job of work. I must be as sick as Denise cuz I woke up this morning already thinking about how to make next year's match better. Many things went extremely well. Everyone seemed to like the stages (at least the ones they shot well) and I was surprised to find every one done shooting all 10 stages 2.5 hours ahead of schedule. That was good because we needed that 2 hours to deal with our administrative problems at the end of the day. Sorry for the scoring mess everyone. My only defense is plausible ignorance and I will play my first time MD card on that one.

Huge thank you to the RO's. Finding enough experienced RO's to run a match this large, for an unusual match format and with such an extensive rule set was really challenging. Some of your RO's had USPSA, IDPA and Outlaw match experience. I think they all did an amazing job of keeping things moving. They were professional, thoughtful and were all very interested in making their stage the best stage.

Huge thank you to the stage helpers. Those kids were dog tired at the end of the day. They were certainly a positive influence on everyone's fun factor and on the fast turn around times. As I write this, it is 10:45am and both my kids are still asleep. Not even the promise of taking them out for a pancake breakfast has stir'd them from their beds.

Huge thank you to every one who attended the match. I've shot with fun squads and not so fun squads. Being on a fun squad doubles the enjoyment for me. As I moved around from squad to squad throughout the day, I saw everyone smiling and enjoying everyone else's company. So with all of the little match quirks and problems aside... my primary goal for the event was for everyone to have a good time and that was (at least from my observation) achieved.

Huge thank you to Jeremy Moore. Jeremy's Shooter's Source was not only the title sponsor for the event, but also spent much of the time helping us with our scoring issues.

Huge thank you to Jansen, Janna, and James for the pro clinic. There were about 30-40 people in that clinic and the Noveske team covered a wide range of topics.

Huge thank you to Mark and Denise for the hours they spent helping me with the planning.

Finally, thank you to my wife, who has put up with a grueling schedule. She doesn't even like guns all that much, and still helped out by making breakfast for the staff and being a score keeper on the goose hunt stage all day. I owe her big.

Goal for next year: Just as much fun with less mistakes. I think I'd rather it be done right before it gets any bigger.

I ain't never been in no goose blind 'afore........

....which explains why those clays were at about as much risk from me as real geese flying a week ago over a hypothetical goose blind which, obviously, I would not have been in....

ericm

This match was awesome, but don't tell anybody cause Mike doesn't want it to get big. Tooooooo late Mr. Payne! Great job! Even the stage you didn't care for was awesome because of its simplicity and need for perfect execution.

Thank you Burris, Carbon Arms, Brownells, Nordic Components, and Shooters Source for sponsoring such a great match.

Great job Mike and team!

Thanks for those who put on the match! All of the stages were a lot of fun and the match overall was very challenging. The stages all ran smoothly and having people to help reset stages made things go really fast. Kudos to all those that helped make it happen. It ran like it was the 5th year of operating that match!

Many of the stages introduced new elements that I haven't ever seen at other matches, such as the foot pedal activators for aerial clays. The range has quite a few resources to use that other ranges don't have access to which made it very challenging. Hopefully we'll see some midi's and rabbits next year ;). We'll be planning to attend next year as well!

Rabbits? Maybe... but I think we might be able to squeeze in a man on man shoot off next year. We could do trap runs to determine the shoot off contestants. I'll have to give that some thought.

Edited by co-exprs

I debated whether I should post this or not, but after reading some other threads, I feel compelled.

Oftentimes, working as a RM, I see competitors who are frustrated with their performance, or mistakes and take it out on staff. It also seems that some competitors would rather try and get something they did not earn, even argue for it, and use the rules as justification. There were three situations at this match where competitors right at the top corrected their scores, or calls made by the RO to their detriment. I have known these three men for a while and feel fortunate to be friends with them. Integrity is what you do (or don't do) when no-one else would ever know.

So thanks also to those three for being true sportsmen!

That was a TON of fun, and two of the longest days I've ever had. I slept for about 14 hours afterward.

Unfortunately, my Gopro died halfway through Friday, so I only got five stages up. They're still chewing through Youtube processing, but I got the tight squeeze, the wobble platform/random targets, two of the bird stages, and the door busting stage.

If we can get a solid supply of rabbits, I'd LOVE to see the door come out in more club matches.