Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pike's Peak Shotgun Challenge

Ok, got it. The internal functional length. Learned something today. FYI, for those who care... We can thank Mark and his interaction with the state legislatures for ending up with a shotgun magazine tube length that most of the local competitors can work with. The state trouble makers wanted to ban all extensions and shotguns holding more than 5 shells. The way the laws were originally proposed, they would have banned any shotgun capable of accepting an extension at all. For whatever reason the gun grabbers were willing to listen to Mark and he was able to get them to compromise to a magazine limit that wouldn't kill 3gun in CO. The new laws suck, but they would have been way worse had it not been for Mark and I'm sure a few others I don't know.

Edited by co-exprs

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Koppel was really who pushed it through after a conversation in the hallway down at the state capital. I did spend 5 days down meeting with several government officials, lawyers, and local TV crews. While I enjoyed some portions of being involved in the process, it was a royal PITA.

There were a bunch of competitive shooters, gunshop owners, instructors, match directors, even TV personalities down there working it, still are some working the current session. But there were also a lot of rank and file gun owners there too.

If you have questions, please send me a PM. Let's not get into any political discussions on this thread so it can remain open.

Rocky Mountain Targets completed the entry door. Mike brought it down yesterday, so we got a chance to set it up and shoot it a bit. Works great! Couple of minor tweaks and it'll serve us well at the match. Here's a vid of the door. For you thumb suckers worried about 12ga recoil... watch my 14yr old daughter run my Nova like a boss.

http://youtu.be/4ko3eyH0oYo

I'm off to HeMan Nats on Fri. When I get back it's all hands on deck, building the stages for the Shotgun Challenge. All the plans are coming together nicely and we will be ready to go for a rockin event. This is a non profit event and we've used just about every penny to make this as good a match as we could. There has already been countless volunteer hours and tons of equipment loaned to us by other clubs. Special thanks to Mike Griswald at Rocky Mountain Targets, for making and donating more than half of our targets, including our door, plate rack, spinner, static steel, slug gongs and clay holders. Also a special thanks to Pikes Peak gun club for letting us use the sporting clays range and 17 professional grade throwers for the event. Yep you read that right... 17 thrown birds. Plus 9 more birds from Black Sheep kickers.

See everyone soon.

Ok gang! The Noveske shooting team has a reserved slot they can't use for the shotgun match. They specifically asked me to give the slot away for a female shooter (sorry no love for you guys). So.... I will give this slot to the first "female" shooter who PM's me the answer to this question:

What song is emblazoned in bronze atop of Pikes Peak?

First PM with the correct answer and I will update the thread with the status of the open slot.

Remember that James, Jansen and Janna of Team Noveske will be providing several mini clinics on specific shotgun skills to all match participants on Friday afternoon. Just make sure to plan to be out at the range Friday afternoon so you do not miss out.

All three are members of Team Noveske and shoot on the 3GN ProTour. James and Jansen have several shotgun match wins including PanAm titles (with medals and all) to their credit. Folks pay hundreds of dollars for their instruction, but PPSGC and Team Noveske get you up close to help you improve your skills, and hopefully match scores as well.

Edited by MarkCO

A special thanks to the Noveske Shooting Team for donating their unused, reserved slot to a female shooter, and co-exprs for assisting them. I can't wait to compete in this match, and look forward to the stages. I'm a little intimated since this will be my first shotgun-only match, and only second non-local event, but you have to start somewhere :)

You do have to start somewhere true. Mike has assembled a very good match that will be approachable for the Pros, and us common folks alike.

Just ask questions, take some deep breaths and have FUN!

Remember that James, Jansen and Janna of Team Noveske will be providing several mini clinics on specific shotgun skills to all match participants on Friday afternoon. Just make sure to plan to be out at the range Friday afternoon so you do not miss out.

What time frame are the mini clinics expected to run?

Cameon, we are more than happy that we can help out! We are looking forward to getting to shoot with you too. One of the biggest advantages will be getting to shoot with Janna Reeves, she is one of the fastest climbing stars of 3-gun right now and being a female has the best insights on how to progress as a lady shooter. It turns out there are a few things about competitive shooting that us guys would never think of, and they make a big difference! We look forward to seeing you out there!

Also, any other ladies that will be shooting the match, Janna will be doing the clinics as well so come on out Friday to meet her and learn some great stuff!

James

The Noveske Shooting Team

Carbon Arms Corp.

James, thanks so much! And Janna too! I've been watching youtube videos of Janna to try and figure out the Twin Loading technique. I recently picked up the Backbone, but still haven't completely figured out how to set it up correctly or how to effectively grab and load. I'm looking forward to watching you both in action and soaking up new knowledge and techniques. Thanks Again and am looking forward to the event.

James, Im not a lady YET, love shot gunning and use the Twin Loading System. Got permission to skip school Friday, really interested in the clinics. Can I get more information on the time for a clinic with Janna?

James, Jansen and Janna will be rotating through 10 to 15 minutes skill specific topics. You will get to work with all of them. We plan to start between 2 and 3.