Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9grs of HS-6 is giving me 200PF?!

DrLove

Are you tumbling loaded rounds? Are you running the chrono after a long hot match? Have you rechecked your OAL after racking them into your chamber a few times (checked for set-back)?

What on earth does tumbling the rounds have to do with anything? I think you may have some bad info.

Some believe there is evidence that excessive tumbling can pulverize powder and change it's characteristics

It's been talked about here in the past..

Yeah, that is what we call BS where I come from. How do you think the ammo you buy in the store gets so clean?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you tumbling loaded rounds? Are you running the chrono after a long hot match? Have you rechecked your OAL after racking them into your chamber a few times (checked for set-back)?

What on earth does tumbling the rounds have to do with anything? I think you may have some bad info.

Some believe there is evidence that excessive tumbling can pulverize powder and change it's characteristics

Yeah, that is what we call BS where I come from. How do you think the ammo you buy in the store gets so clean?

To each there own pal. FWIW I tumble mine after loading to get what tiny bit of one shot is left on them off. I had a guy tell me I was going to blow up my tumbler doing it. I thought that was BS too but I was humble enough to let him have his opinion.

You measure the OAL. The OAL for using STI mags in 9 Major should be 1.165. You get minor variances in OAL with different headstamp brass.

That barrel will run 1.165 with issue.

so you're saying I"m loading too short and I should go longer? did you measure round by round in the bbl when you loaded?

A little late on this post. Yes you were loading tooooo short.

When using STI mags with spacers, the OAL should be 1.165 to 1.170. Because the press is not a precise instrument OAL size will vary depending on brass headstamp. There is a maximum OAL length on the STI mags with spacers. If you load some rounds with no powder or primer, you can experiment and determine the MAX over all length that will fit in the mag AND chamber. However; you can not emulate a 2011 firing and loading the next catridge no matter how fast you rack the slide.

You may have to adjust your OAL a thousandths sometimes. Example. A friend of mine gets a custom open gun and every 3rd of 4th round he was getting a FTF (Nosedive). His OAL was 1.168 on most of his rounds. He was using 121 IFP. The 121 IFP has a profile like a JHP, but the hollow point is filled in with lead. So you now have a flat point. I noticed each of the rounds that failed to feed had a horse-U shaped mark in the nose in the lead. He reduced his OAL to 1.166 and the problem was no more.

If someone states "OAL for 9 major is 1.185" they are probably using SVI mags, no spacers, and round nose bullets.

I never tumbled loaded rounds, but I do take a rag and wipe each round. JHP can get media stuck in the nose and that media comes loose and dislodges in your gun at the worst time.

To each there own pal. FWIW I tumble mine after loading to get what tiny bit of one shot is left on them off. I had a guy tell me I was going to blow up my tumbler doing it. I thought that was BS too but I was humble enough to let him have his opinion.

Opinions are fine, I like facts better. The old wives tale about tumbler explosions needs to be put to rest. Can't happen, won't happen. Tumbling loaded rounds does not effect powder or primers. You could tumble ammo loaded with Federal primers along with some carbide tipped punches and they will NEVER go off.

Opinions are fine, I like facts better. The old wives tale about tumbler explosions needs to be put to rest. Can't happen, won't happen. Tumbling loaded rounds does not effect powder or primers. You could tumble ammo loaded with Federal primers along with some carbide tipped punches and they will NEVER go off.

I do not recommend this.

Well I'm up for someone to do a little tumble testing. Load 20 rounds to the same specs, tumble 10 of them for several hours then chrono each group.

I honestly don't know, but I'm guessing there will be a difference. I remember a story (possible urban legend) about leaving ammo in a vehicle and how the constant vibration would change its characteristics and make it unsafe after a long time.

Any takers?

Definitely I want a taker on the federally primed rounds tumbling with punches. I say very long extension cord, maybe several, and a video camera. Ok I'm kidding on this one.

And Sarge is correct on the spelling, just saying, lol.

Edited by Chris iliff

I tumble my completed rounds and theres no velocity difference between tumbled and not tumbled ammo. I do get compliments my ammo looks REALLY shiny...

I don't recommend tumbling Zero jhp. It was a bitch getting the media out of the hollow point cavity....

MG on the other hand retains little to almost no media in its cavity.

Definitely I want a taker on the federally primed rounds tumbling with punches. I say very long extension cord, maybe several, and a video camera. Ok I'm kidding on this one.

Pretty harmless when rounds are fired without being chambered. If you have never seen this video, check it out:

(Warning: Not for those frustrated with the lack of ammunition availability!!)

Whoops! is not only correct but his name fits this thread perfectly!

Hell, I'm probably one of the few people here who has used this powder and bullet combination intentionally . . . with Federal small pistol primers. I don't recommend that either. I also don't recommend 10.4 grains of HS6 behind a 115 grain bullet. In fact, I don't recommend anyone reload anything, there are plenty of reliable factories that produce safe and consistent ammunition.

*This post strictly intended to relieve me of all liability from posting anywhere in this thread. Thanks.*

Edited by Whoops!

Well I'm up for someone to do a little tumble testing. Load 20 rounds to the same specs, tumble 10 of them for several hours then chrono each group.

A few hours won't do anything. Heck a plane ride around the world is a lot longer than that and literally tons of ammunition does that every year.

They were not reloads but I had 20 rounds of norinco .223 that post load tumbled in the tool box of a 4 wheeler since 1995 (yeah most are still in there), the 2 I took home, cleaned up and shot were within the average of some that had spent the same amount of time in a cabinet.

Edited by jmorris

A few hours won't do anything. Heck a plane ride around the world is a lot longer than that and literally tons of ammunition does that every year.

They were not reloads but I had 20 rounds of norinco .223 that post load tumbled in the tool box of a 4 wheeler since 1995 (yeah most are still in there), the 2 I took home, cleaned up and shot were within the average of some that had spent the same amount of time in a cabinet.

Urban legend then. This satisfies my curiosity.