Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do you need to ream & freebore a Cz target?

biscuit

I've ordered a CZ target already and one custom gun shop list this as one reason to use them:

• Barrel is reamed and freebored to allow for JHPs and 147s

this as one of the upgrades they do on their Targets. This is not the shop I order from. I'm still learning a lot about guns and CZs, so why do this and should everyone do this and if you don't do this can your shoot 147s in a gun that is not reamed and freebored.

Other custom shops don't list this as an option when you buy the Target. Is that bad ..... I have had one ordered since early June from another shop and wondering if I should switch.

And thus one of the reasons it sucks to have to wait so long on a gun you have to much time to what if.... Plus everyone starts to tell you why you should've used someone else ahhhh. I love the way the target shoots and spending so much on production gun I want it right from the get go if that is possible.

In my custom, I had to load the 124 MG JHP to 1.085. They started hitting the lands and grooves at 1.095...Now, with a RN, I can load much longer...1.150....it's the shoulder on the jhp that causes the issue...

Ditto, the Montana Gold 124jhp, the new Zero profile and Hornadys would hit in my barrels at 1.09ish

Edited by DWFAN

The answer is you don't need to. If 1.10 OAL is good enough for Angus, it probably is for us as well. How long you can load depends on the ogive (profile) of the projectile. I load my 160s out to 1.160. Almost everything else I load to 1.100. I have run JHPs, RN and moly. All work fine.

I can load MG 147 gr out to 1.145. Generally load the 124 jhp to about 1.125- 1.130 out of my stock barrels.

Where do you have you Shadow Target on order from?

From your profile its seems you are the man I was told to have my trigger work done at your shop. I hope the target gets in soon I would like to have to time to prep before major matchs start back heavy in the south in Jan. I hope I have the right person one of my training friends that I see at major matches said you were the man outside of someone in cajun country.

You don't need to load long; you don't need to load RN profile bullets. I've shot 1000s of 124gr JHP bullets (3 different kinds) all at 1.080" like Gerard said to in several threads. Also about 800 Black Bullet Int'l 147 flat points at about 1.090". In both my Shadows. No malfunctions for me. Zero.

• 1 month later...

You don't need to load long; you don't need to load RN profile bullets. I've shot 1000s of 124gr JHP bullets (3 different kinds) all at 1.080" like Gerard said to in several threads. Also about 800 Black Bullet Int'l 147 flat points at about 1.090". In both my Shadows. No malfunctions for me. Zero.

Thanks Eric that's good news I have a lot of black bullet 147s that was what I was using my other gun. I just got my shadow in can't wait To shoot looking forward to some great practice time.

I just got an SP01 Shadow from CZC and like others have said it depends on the bullet ogive. I have some moly coated 147's from BBI, and those can be loaded out to 1.125 OAL without hitting the lands. I also have some Precision moly 147's and those needed to be 1.080 OAL to be short of the lands. With that said, and loaded to those lengths, they both function and shoot fine. I would not ream the throat unless you have a specific bullet that you want to load longer and really need to ream for that combo.

Mike

I just got an SP01 Shadow from CZC and like others have said it depends on the bullet ogive. I have some moly coated 147's from BBI, and those can be loaded out to 1.125 OAL without hitting the lands. I also have some Precision moly 147's and those needed to be 1.080 OAL to be short of the lands. With that said, and loaded to those lengths, they both function and shoot fine. I would not ream the throat unless you have a specific bullet that you want to load longer and really need to ream for that combo.

Mike

I know its a bit off topic but how long between your confirmation call and delivery was it??

I just ran into this issue with a new 1911 in 9mm. This was the only gun that would not chamber any of my reloads loaded to 1.120. This was with 124 gr LRN (S&S casting), Berry 124 gr TC, Zero 115 gr FMJ. All those loads would feed in my Sig P226, Glock, SA 9mm.

I guess a lot of these bullets sold for reloading will have a longer bearing surface and will bump into the leades before fully chambering.

I have since reamed that barrel and all my loads plunk in.

Just brought home my new CZ 75 TS last night and found out it will not chamber my reloads also. So I may have to ream this next week as well. OTOH, I can experiment with a shorter OAL like the previous suggestions and see what works. I'm just not so comfortable about loading too short since it may increase chamber pressures, especially if a bullet is accidentally set back.

If your gun order already comes reamed as part of the job, I consider that a bonus and will allow you to shoot the most varieties of loads without having to experiment with different OAL's.

Mike

I know its a bit off topic but how long between your confirmation call and delivery was it??

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. They shipped it the same day they called, and I had it two days later!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was about 1.5 to 2 weeks quicker than they had estimated. Its funny going from a polymer gun to steel is a big difference in that the weight does have an impact. I had developed a pre-ignition push with my other gun. I'm shooting groups at 25 yrds to get rid of it.