Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rudy Project Glasses

v1911

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Codes are valid, you can use code "pistol" for the most current.

While I cannot help with the RX part, I will say that Rudy's are fantastic quality, I like them more than Oakley's and IMO are better quality. I do wear mine for "everyday use" but I have the Magsters. While it's not RX, lens changes are super easy as well.

I don't think you'll have an issue...what pair are you looking at getting?

Edited by polizei1

I wear Rudy Glasses for shooting and for driving at work. While not RX I do use the Rydon sport readers exclusively. They allow me to read scoresheets, driving instructions etc without switching to reading glasses.

By far the best performing sun/shooting glasses I have ever owned.

And no, I am not a Rudy squad or team shooter trying to sell you on their product. I used to be and did not like it but they make some damn fine glasses. You won't be disappointed.

Keep in mind you can get the glasses in RX or you can have inserts made that many guys prefer because these are some expensive glasses to not be able to change the prescription for cheap. From what I understand you just order the insert thingy and get a prescription from your local eye doc. You can have him get the lenses made or send the insert thingy to an online lens company and they will make them to fit.

Good luck!

I was looking at the KARBONEYE WHITE CARBON WITH IMPACTX PHOTOCHROMIC CLEAR LENSES.

I shoot mostly indoor but there are a few outdoor shoots I compete in as well. For that reason I wanted to go with the Photochromic clear lenses.

I have a pair of Rudy Rydons. I love them. They are daily wear glasses for me. For driving I choose the impactx polar photochromic brown lenses, the shooting I use the impactx Laser? Racing Red, and for work safety glasses I use the clear impactx photochromic lenses.

I chose the Rydons because they seem to have the most options for lenses.

Hmm. Definitely some food for thought.

Sarge, you mentioned the photo red lenses. How does that effect how you pick up the red FO?

Butterpuc, you bring up a good point about the selection of lenses for the Rydon frame. Maybe I should think about a frame with more options.

The red lenses make the red FO look like a red lightbulb. It really pops.

I agree, I use the red lenses for outside, and clear for inside. Makes a big difference, IMHO.

And I'm certainly not trying to sell you on Rudy's, just giving you my honest opinion about them. Go check out Oakley's and some other brands as well. My Rudy's are the best quality, lightest weight I've tried yet...

I'll skip on the Oakleys. Took a look at their website. Clicked the tab for sports and didn't see shooting listed. I'll stick with a brand that supports our sport.

Before choosing your frame, were any of you able to try a variety of styles? There happens to be a distributor within driving distance and I was considering stopping in. Don't know what kind of selection they would have, but something is better than nothing, right?

With so many choices it's hard to tell if something that looks good will also fit good.

I tried on many many many pairs of safety glasses before taking the plunge. I truly wanted the Oakleys to work for me, they were comfortable, but just didn't have all the options I wanted. Also, a huge plus for me was that the Rudy's are nearly infinitely adjustable versus the Oakleys.

I use a red FO Dawson front sight and use the photolaser Racing Red lenses, it makes the FO stand out. It also seems to make the cardboard brown stand out compared to the background.

Not only does Rudy make outstanding glasses, their warranty is the best in the business. You can break your lenses with a hammer (good luck if they are Impact-X) and send them back with a few $ for shipping, Rudy will send you new ones.

Scratches, same thing.

I've got a set of Rydons with prescription inserts I use for road cycling. I really like them but I've noticed that in high humidity - as when the ambient temperature and the dew point are the same - they tend to fog, and having four air-glass surfaces makes it worse. I haven't found a good anti-fog for them, though there well be one out there. I haven't tried them for shooting.

Butterpuc pretty much gave my setup.

I use the ImpactX photopolarized grey for every day use, the ImpactX photolaser racing Red for shooting (I love how the red FO pops and the contrast on the targets is awesome) and the ImpactX Photochromic clear for indoor shooting.

I use a Rudy Project Rydon with RX lens inserts, smoke grey and amber lensesas as well as an ESS ice naro with rx inserts and clear and smoke lenses.

I like the style and fit of the Rydon. Don't know if the lenses are ballistic grade. looks like these are designed more for cycling. the metal parts tend to corrode easily in humid weather. Well got mine 5 years ago and it still does the job.

the ESS ice naro has bigger polycarb lenses and is lighter, without any metal components. also I feel more secured using them especially when shooting at steel targets, knowing they are ballistic grade lenses.

Next time, I'd get the ESS CDI Max series and RX inserts. Looks sooo cool.

Edited by davidwebb

• 2 months later...

You guys have helped me decide on RX Rudy Project Rydons. I thank you but my wallet hates you, after lenses they're around $650, we'll see what the discount code does when I order at the end of Jan.

Does anyone know if their blue mirror exterior coating with AR inside coating is worth it and could someone explain what it does a little better for me? How will a blue mirror coating affect the red lenses. I'm stuck with 2 trains of thought. On one hand it's already 650 and thats bad enough. On the other hand, for $650 I better get the absolute best and just add the coating with the extra cost. It's not like I can afford to change my mind or have any regrets.