Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firearm sharing

My brother and I have been shooting pistol matches for a while now, and were thinking of going into 3gun as well. We were planning on shooting the same division with pretty much the same gun -pistol. Is it okay/common to just share/use eachother's guns? For pistol matches, we normally always have our pistols strapped to us, so sharing isn't really doable or advised.

I've lent my shotgun out plenty of times. One local match I had 4 people plus myself on my squad shooting it. Even at bigger matches it should be ok, just make sure you are separated by a few people and let your squad know what's going on. Only issue I see is preloading the shotgun, but that can be mitigated too.

I have seen it done at big matches, like has already been mentioned, let your squad know so the squad mom can separate you in order and talk to the ROs about it on each stage. I have not seen it cause any problems with a little preparation.

Hurley

For pistol matches, we normally always have our pistols strapped to us, so sharing isn't really doable or advised.

To share a pistol, you have two choices. First option is to make sure there is a few shooters in the shooting order between the two sharing the pistol so that they can go to a "Safe Area" and trade it out. Second option is to advise the CRO you will be sharing a handgun. Usually we have the transfer take place on the line under RO supervision after the "Make Ready" command. Not a big deal either way.

Same with the rifle and shotgun. No big deal. The goal is safety.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd recommend that each shooter has his/her own magazines. I say this because it might not make your squad mates too happy if things get slowed down waiting for shooter #2 to load up after shooter #1 has emptied the shared mags. That, and if I'm the second shooter, I wouldn't want to feel all rushed for time loading the mags right before my run-- that's the time to get calm.

Edited by jkrispies

Maybe it's just me, but I'd recommend that each shooter has his/her own magazines. I say this because it might not make your squad mates too happy if things get slowed down waiting for shooter #2 to load up after shooter #1 has emptied the shared mags. That, and if I'm the second shooter, I wouldn't want to feel all rushed for time loading the mags right before my run-- that's the time to get calm.

Good point

You would only have an issue if you use different SGs or different rifles for different stages. (i.e. dont use a rifle with a dot for the stage with close stuff and borrow the rifle with the scope for long stuff) Rules generally say something to the effect that you cant change sights, barrels uppers etc. so its along the same lines. I second the space the shooters out as well as having loaded magazines etc.

Edited by dauntedfuture

Just don't try it in California

Why? As long as they are on the same squad, there shouldn't be a problem. Whoever the legal owner is would still be technically in control of the rifle as long as they were on the same range as the shooter. Otherwise I couldn't have my friends shoot any of my guns. The only issue would be if the shooter is a felon, ex-con, or otherwise disqualified from owning and operating a firearm.

• 2 weeks later...

Just don't try it in California

Why? As long as they are on the same squad, there shouldn't be a problem. Whoever the legal owner is would still be technically in control of the rifle as long as they were on the same range as the shooter. Otherwise I couldn't have my friends shoot any of my guns. The only issue would be if the shooter is a felon, ex-con, or otherwise disqualified from owning and operating a firearm.

I think we was joking (kinda) but ya I have done it with my friend and we both had our own magazines and we were both running ELS systems so I just unclipped and he clipped on.