Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver grip and thumb position.

Petrov

Hey guys I shoot a 627 and I am left handed.

My dominant hand thumb goes on top of the frame as close as I can get it without the hammer spur hitting my thumb so it rids kind of on top of the frame.

My support hand thumb gets pressed on the back part of the blast shield almost above the bore of axis.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by doing this? I have small hands so the dimensions work out well for me.

Do not aim at your feet and you will not shoot your foot. ;-p

I have the same grip right handed. I had to add some cushion on the back of the shield because I was splitting my thumb shooting major power factor.

I'm a lefty also. I cannot put my thumb anywhere near the blast shield. The pain when the blast shield hits my thumb nail is extremely distracting. I put my right thumb over my left thumb and pull it down just enough to get a consistent position. What little I know about shooting a revolver was learned using a 625 with major loads. That experience may not apply to the 627.

I'm a lefty also. I cannot put my thumb anywhere near the blast shield. The pain when the blast shield hits my thumb nail is extremely distracting. I put my right thumb over my left thumb and pull it down just enough to get a consistent position. What little I know about shooting a revolver was learned using a 625 with major loads. That experience may not apply to the 627.

I do this as well, but I use the correct hand. :devil:

On little guns like my j-frame I move my support hand thumb to the back my shooting hand and press down on the base of my thumb behind the web.

That's what I do, right handed. I added a bit of skate tape to the blast shield where my thumb hits. I grip so high, though, that I had to cut off that pesky hammer spur, and there's no way to use (or reason for) an extended cylinder latch.

That's what I do, right handed. I added a bit of skate tape to the blast shield where my thumb hits. I grip so high, though, that I had to cut off that pesky hammer spur, and there's no way to use (or reason for) an extended cylinder latch.

Yeah, I have an apex hammer with parts sitting waiting to be installed. Currently I did not touch any of the sear/notch surfaces at all just polished all the parts that are moving inside the frame and it made a HUGE difference in making the trigger consistent with no stacking.

I shoot right (read this correct) handed. I put my right thumb on the Hogue cylinder release and my left thumb firmly on the blast shield. This works for me major and minor with N and K/L frames. People say it doesn't work, but my hands were never told that so it works just fine. It also puts the revolver very low in my hand. My spur is cut off.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

I have a 325 with boot grips and that's about the only way I can shoot it without the cylinder latch mangling my thumb knuckle. (The strong hand anyway) The tip of my thumb is up by the rear sight and literally rubs against the hammer rising and falling, for a while I was worried this would cause problems but it hasn't. I have a Freedom Arms 97 that I also shoot with a high thumb on the sheild, all the others I shoot "normal". Well, not really normal but... :)

Edited by cas

I'm a lefty too and I use the same grip with the revolver that I use with my bottom feeders. My right thumb is along the frame under the cylinder and my left thumb sits on top of it. Some folks don't like that because of the"blast" off of the b/c gap but I've never had an issue with it. I can tell when I've had the right grip because my right thumbnail gets sooted up.

Then again, I'm not shooting a 500 or 460 S&W and putting the knuckle of my thumb in that area like I was holding a rifle :excl: