Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Secondary division for open shooters?

DrLove

I sometimes shoot my Production M&P 9mm Pro.

I forget I need to line up both sights and go too fast then realize I need to slow down a little to get the hits and concentrate on firing the shot to get better (A) hits. It humbles me when I shoot Production.

Shooting Production doesn't hurt my Open shooting but I don't know if it helps me..that much :goof:

Edited by HI5-O

I sometimes shoot my Production M&P 9mm Pro.

I forget I need to line up both sights and go too fast then realize I need to slow down a little to the hits and concentrate on firing the shot to get better (A) hits. It humbles me when I shoot Production.

Shooting Production doesn't hurt my Open shooting but I don't know if it helps me..that much :goof:

So I have been told by an open GM that until I'm at least an A shooter, I should only shoot one division. That's why I'm interested in your inputs guys to see if that's what you do as well. Also, if you do shoot another division, there is nothing "close" to open so which secondary division would that be??

Knowing what I know now, if I were to start over, I would start with Open and stick to only Open.

As you said, no other division comes close to Open so for me, switching back and forth to iron sights and the dot would slow down my progress in Open. If I would only shoot divisions with iron sights, then I don't think that would be a hinderance in progressing to a higher class.

Switching guns may be fun but I'd rather be good :ph34r:

With the same rig (belt, holster, pouches) the only real differences are the sights and the # rounds in the magazine. I deliberately use a different color fiber so I don't mistake it for a dot though.

(I am ignoring the comp in this case it does affect the sight recovery, however not as much as one would think, since there are many shooters who can pull off ~.12 splits with a limited or production gun.)

I only shoot Open for now. I tried to shoot my Glock 34 after shooting Open for a full season and couldn't hit anything. At least not with any speed. I bought an XDM and might set up a rig for it and try it in Production or Limited minor. I'm kind of fond of not having to reload 3-4 times every stage!

Hello: I shoot them all. I get bored with one and move onto the next. Revolver is alot of fun once you get the mindset of only 6 shots--reload. Limited I like alot as well as single stack. So I gues in order it would be Open, Limited, Single Stack, Revolver, Production and Limited 10. Thanks, Eric

I got back into shooting after a long absence during which my competition guns (Open and Limited) were stolen. When I returned all I could afford was a production set up. I did this for most of a year while I saved for a used Open rig. I would like to shoot a little in SS or limited and am saving to fund a rig for one of those. Does it help my shooting in open, not really. Does it help to keep me interested and having fun, definitely.

Haven't shot any other division since moving to Open.

I may go back and shoot Limited, L10, or SS at a local match just for the heck of it, but I need to load some ammo for that first. Production or Revolver would require buying new guns and gear.

So I have been told by an open GM that until I'm at least an A shooter, I should only shoot one division. That's why I'm interested in your inputs guys to see if that's what you do as well. Also, if you do shoot another division, there is nothing "close" to open so which secondary division would that be??

I've actually heard that shooting Open would make you a better shooter with iron sights. Not sure I believe that though. I know that it only took me 7 months to make B in Open. I just finished 15th overall out of 158, and 12th out of 32 and 2nd B Open at the Missouri Fall Classic. I spent a year shooting L10 with a 1911 and 10 rnd mags and never made it past 53%. YMMV.
Edited by Parallax3D