Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Popular Shotguns for Heavy Metal Limited (Pump)

jkrispies

If you have something already, by all means dust it off and go and play with the heavy guns. If you need to purchase something to go along with a new M1A or .308 AR, a Super Nova is hard to beat, as is a Nova. I think you'll see these guns most often in the division.

I know some shooters are using Winchester 1300's and of course 870's. Last year at the He Man, one gentleman on my squad was kicking butt with a Winchester 97.

Like they said, if you are going out to get a new Heavy Metal shotgun, look at a Nova or Super Nova. These will be the most popular Heavy Metal shotguns these days. Other guns can be very competitive, but these are fairly cheap, smooth operating, have a very large loading port, a shell carrier that stays up after you push in the first round and are very reliable.

Like Dan said, run what you got until you figure out what you want.

Hurley

I will slowly start to build my HM set up this winter. My shotgun will be a Nova or Super Nova, what ever I find a good deal on. I thought about running a 870 and working on.the action and smoothing everything out but I think I'll make the jump to Benelli

I would shoot as many as you can.

Ive tried all 3. For me...

The Nova is by far the easiest to load, but I don't shoot one well. Feels very 2x4ish in my hands. The Super with its adjustable drop and cast is a little better.

The 1300 is the smoothest and fastest to cycle. I wonder why you don't see more of them.

The 870 shoots where I look, the controls are easiest to use, and I can load it reasonably fast using load 2.

Since everybody is hot on the nova/super nova, I'm curious if the bolt can be machined like an M2's to ghost load?

I doubt it. But why would you want to ghost load anymore? Just buy an extension tube long enough to hold the shells you want. No one ghost loads during the course.

Since everybody is hot on the nova/super nova, I'm curious if the bolt can be machined like an M2's to ghost load?

I doubt it. But why would you want to ghost load anymore? Just buy an extension tube long enough to hold the shells you want. No one ghost loads during the course.

Just curious, really.

If you get one over the carrier of a Nova, it will bind up like a Remington (if you have ever let a shell slip back over the carrier with an 870, you know what I am talking about), you will have to use a thin blade knife to put the shell back in the magazine before you can open the bolt. I found this out while practicing one day. The Benelli Automatics release the shell from the magazine when the trigger is pulled, the Novas release the shell when the bolt is to the rear, so the shell carrier is shaped different and doesn't allow enough room for the bolt to run with a shell on top of it.

Hurley

I've not tried one yet, but the inertia assisted shell extraction sparks my interest. I think I remember the Casanovas getting one to try out. I wonder how it went. James is all about speed so if there was any advantage he'd be be tuned in for sure. It is a different design completely from the 1300 (which was also a good gun).

Edited by co-exprs

Winchester SXP and Winchester 1300 same same sans a couple of parts and the SXP being made in Turkey and the 1300 in the USA.

I ran one for many years and while it is very fast it is tougher to load (loading port is narrow and difficult to open)

Once I got used to my Super Nova's not only could I run them as fast and could load a whole bunch faster!

Great video, Pat! (Very nice job on that rearward retreating stage, BTW. Sometimes I wonder if the stage designers actually WANT to get swept when they design CoF's like that!!!)

I was 100% good to go on buying an M2 or VersaMax Tac but then my finances went down the drain... or, more specifically, into my leaky shower that now needs a full replacement. I have an old 1300 defender that I bought when I turned 18 but would like to step up into the new millenium, and those Super Nova's look awesome, if a bit pricey. I bet that loading port is a plus. I haven't shot one yet, but from video they look to cycle fast and don't seem to shove the shooter around as much. From what I'm reading, the ComforTech stock may not do much on an autoloader, but I suspect it earns its keep on the pumps.

Edited by jkrispies

• 3 weeks later...

those Super Nova's look awesome, if a bit pricey. I bet that loading port is a plus.

The Nova is another option without much difference. You can usually find them at pawn or gun shops for around $300-$400! The loading port on them is unreal, as they are setup to shoot 3.5" shells. I still don't understand why the competition based auto guns don't come with a massive port like this??

those Super Nova's look awesome, if a bit pricey. I bet that loading port is a plus.

The Nova is another option without much difference. You can usually find them at pawn or gun shops for around $300-$400! The loading port on them is unreal, as they are setup to shoot 3.5" shells. I still don't understand why the competition based auto guns don't come with a massive port like this??

Versamax and SBE2 have huge load ports. The new Beretta 1301 seems to have a larger than normal port as well. One of the big draws of the Versa is the 3.5" load chamber and it shoots light loads very well. The two big draws of the Super Nova for me, are the 3.5" load port and modular design, which makes service very easy.