Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 SPARTAN 9MM set up

jimbullet

Got a 1911 9mm STI Spartan intended for steel challenge. The current set up is all stock with the exception of a recoil spring which I placed a variable 13lb Wolff.

I've got a few questions:

1. For 9mm minor loads, what do you recommend to use as a recoil spring weight?

2. The trigger is very heavy too - not sure what STI has put in there but what do you recommend. Can I use 15 lb main spring without experiencing light strikes?

Got a 1911 9mm STI Spartan intended for steel challenge. The current set up is all stock with the exception of a recoil spring which I placed a variable 13lb Wolff.

I've got a few questions:

1. For 9mm minor loads, what do you recommend to use as a recoil spring weight?

13# sounds rather stiff. Try going with at 9#.

I shoot a rock island tactical 9mm (pretty close to your spartan). I run a 10 lbs recoil,and 17 lbs main spring, with a EE light speed trigger kit. So far no light strikes w/ CCI primers. As for loads I like 124's with either 4grains of titegroup or 4.8 grains of IMR 4756.

What magazines do you run? That probably has ore to do with the stovepipe issue as anything. I use wilson ETMs w/ a coil cut off the spring( can't load it slide closed w/ 10 in them easily without trimming the spring). Have a friend that has good luck with the dawson magazines.

I'm running a 9lb recoil with I believe a 17lb mainspring. My USPSA load is as follows:

MG 124gr CMJ

4.5gr Win 231/HP-38

CCI SPP #500

Mixed Brass

OAL - 1.140"

PF - 135

For shooting steel, I would drop the charge down to 4.0gr and see how that works for you. I also run a Dawson ICE magwell, it's awesome. Also using Dawson tuned mags exclusively, they are super high quality, high recommend them.

Edited by polizei1

I run a 9 pound recoil and a 17 pound main spring in mine. I would stick with a 17 pound main as a 15 may give light strikes especially with the factory hammer. If you want a lighter trigger pull, a trigger job is what you need to improve the trigger as a simple main spring swap doesn't do much at all. Most people will run recoil springs between 8 and 10 pounds depending on preference

I run a 8lb recoil spring and a 19lb mainspring. On a 1911 the mainspring has almost nothing to do with the trigger pull so swapping it wont cure anything, take it to a gunsmith and have him do exactly what you like to it (personally i like 2-2.5lb with about 0.04 pre travel and no overtravel

I run a 10# recoil and a 15# main. I think mainsprings have a lot to do with trigger pull, as do the left arm of the sear spring. For the stove pipes, check your extractor tension. I've heard from several sources the extractor tension goes quickly on the Spartan/Armscor/Rock Island guns. Just keep an eye on it as part of general upkeep. Use good mags. I run Dawsons. I heard the Tripps are great, and the Wilson ETMs may be OK with a different mag catch.

Thanks guys...as for mags, I bought 5 of the STI original mags and thought that they would work 100% given STI mags for an STI gun. I have not made any modification on the STI mags at the moment. You think that the stove pipe would be due to the mag?

What do I need to do to the mag to avoid a stove pipe/

The extractor appears to have the right tension as it does hold a live 115 gr 9mm ammo and even if I shake it, the round wont budge and in fact does not move at all.

Try lowering your spring rate first. Unless you're running a commander Spartan, 14# is just too much. You should experience little if any nose dive with an 8-9# and still cycle properly with a 9mm minor load.

I run a 10# recoil and a 15# main. I think mainsprings have a lot to do with trigger pull, as do the left arm of the sear spring. For the stove pipes, check your extractor tension. I've heard from several sources the extractor tension goes quickly on the Spartan/Armscor/Rock Island guns. Just keep an eye on it as part of general upkeep. Use good mags. I run Dawsons. I heard the Tripps are great, and the Wilson ETMs may be OK with a different mag catch.

Since you have used the 15# main, did you change any of the other ignition components like firing pin, hammer? Does it fire 100% or did you experience light primer strikes.

I am considering to put 15# but mindful that Im not changing any other parts at the moment.

Unless you have a lot of experience with tuning a 1911, it would be best to change one component at a time. This will give you a much better idea of what each specific change might do to performance, plus will help you isolate any specific issues you might encounter along the journey.

Since you have used the 15# main, did you change any of the other ignition components like firing pin, hammer? Does it fire 100% or did you experience light primer strikes.

I am considering to put 15# but mindful that Im not changing any other parts at the moment.

With the 15# M/S, I use Federal SP primers. With a 17#, I can use any SP primers. With a 19#, I can use SR primers. You can also get a long firing pin from Dawson to aid with reliable ignition. I run one in my open gun with a 15# M/S and rifle primers.

With the current setup of 15# M/S and 10# recoil and Federal SP primers, Dawson 10rd. mags, my Spartan has been 100% reliable. My Spartan came with a 9rd. Metalform mag that has the groove down the front of the tube, the so-called "Springfield" mag. It has worked too, but I only use it for the Barney round at Make Ready.

9 lb recoil spring and 17 lb mainspring. Changing to a 15 lb mainspring is not going to improve the heavy trigger. Have a good trigger job done on the gun and stick with a 17 lb mainspring to avoid any chance of light strikes.

Just fyi, I have an SV with 23# mainspring and 1.5# trigger pull. Gun has well over 20k rounds on that hammer/sear combo and is 100% reliable. Plus trigger is very crisp. A light mainspring is not the key to a good trigger job.

Get rid of the extractor. Buy an Ed Brown and replace it. That is the big issue with the 9mm spartans. I have an EGW prefit bushing, EB extractor, 15# mainspring, 9# recoil and a buff, an SV short flat trigger on my 9mm spartan. Gun runs like a champ.

Polish all surfaces of the trigger group that slide, and then check the trigger weight. The coating on the internals can yield a rough trigger pull, make them smooth and you will notice a huge change. Also polish the sear and hammer pins. The geometry is near perfect for factory sear cut, so avoid changing the angle until the rest of the issues are sorted out.

17# mainspring is fine, I did not notice a difference between a 15 and a 17. YMMV

I thought I noticed POA/POI was inconsistant. Confirmed when sandbagged at a bench. There was play between the barrel and bushing. I replaced it because I was not happy with accuracy. It made a notable difference. Lockup is great, the only play at lockup was at bushing. She's as tight as a vault now. I think it was just one of those things that got by in production / qc.

The factory extractor was junk. It was loosing tension as well as clocking causing feeding and extracting issues.The groove for the firing pin stop was also oversized. All in all, it has been a great gun after getting rid of the out of spec parts. She is overdue for a refinish.

I shot mine with stick internals until the extractor failed at around 1500rds. About that time I had an opportunity to trade for a sw1911 pro series 9...and gone it was.

As a general run single stack 9s run finicky ... especially around magazines. I this.k the OEM ones are junk. Tripp Research cobra mags are the only ones I trust for a 9mm 1911