Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What extended optic mount do you recommend?

StarvinPilgrim

I'm looking at replacing/upgrading my 1X4 primary arms to a Burris 2x7, I want to get a quality extended mount at the same time.

I've looked at the Burris Peeper http://http://www.burrisoptics.com/arpepr.html

or the Larue SPR with out QD option http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-spr-m4-scope-mount-qd-lt-104

What are some other options out there that I should consider?

Larue SPR-E pushes the scope out even further. its the one I use and I'm pretty happy with it

Although the PEPR is a decent mount, I'm not sure I'd put it in the quality category as Larue, or ADM.

Based on my experience, the QD feature is overrated in 3 gun...at least for me. I almost never remove my scope and even when I do, I always go to the range to double check my zero.

Edited by Onagoth

The Burris does hold its zero but is a little on the bulky side compared to the Larue and QD. Mine came with the Burris 1-4 I started with and has never done me wrong. Having said that I have switched this season to the Vortex glass and am looking for a lighter and less bulky mount. Not sure if this applies to you but I have been looking at 2 of the low profile Vortex rings. I run an ace skeleton and could still get a a good look through the glass and maintain a solid cheek weld while bringing the optic down several millimeters closer to the barrel. Might be worth looking at and would love to hear from the more seasoned shooters on this approach.

i currently have the PEPR mount that came with my MTAC and it has worked all season without any issues and is holding zero. At the last match I went to I am slightly kicking myself for not picking the cert. for a Warne mount. Anyone used them and can compair them to other quality mounts?

I am currently running the same setup as the OP describes. I am running a Warne RAMP mount on mine. Love the mount, holds zero with no issues.

ETA: Jeremy just check out my setup next time I see you.

Edited by LoganbillJ

I should've added a little more detail.

Yes it's for 3 gun. I'm shooting Open and have a red dot on a 45* mount so the one power isn't needed.

I shoot open as well and also have an off set red dot but I disagree 1x is needed. I use it a lot more than my off set red dot. I have a much better field of view and target clarity in the scope vs the red dot. The only time I use the off set red dot is on stages where you have to switch between close and far targets quickly. That said on mounts I would look hard at the Warne Skel mount. I love all mine.

Pat

Warne gets my vote, but I have not used Larue, since I've never needed the QD. The warne mounts use steel inserts for the threads instead of just threading the aluminum. I personally don't think the JP is worth the extra money over any of the chinese; Vortex, PEPR, or Nikon.

- Burris PEPR (decent, but not top quality as far as I have researched)

- LaRue SPR (very popular, but unable to get it in Europe)

- American Defense Manufcaturing Recon (not that much reviews, but the ones I could find were very positive)

- Vortex Cantilever offset moun (watch out, they have two different models. One is build by ADM and looks exactly like the Recon mount, these should be equally as good.. but you might as well get the ADM version ; the other version I have read very mixed reviews on it and I would avoid it)

I choose for the ADM Recon mount.

Good luck.

I've had the Burris, LaRue and the JP. I'm going to keep my JPs and have sold the rest. The JP is built like a tank and has 5 screw holding the base to the rail. I like the way you place the scope in the rings like you would on a standard mount and I couldn't care less about quick detach for my 3gun rig. I don't wan't QD for my 3gun rig. Just more to go wrong at the wrong time. That being said the LaRue is a top notch mount too.