Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI / Infinity Holster Recommendations

Booger

First Post! And .. yes, I searched for "Infinity Holster" and "SVI Holster" with no hits.

Would you folks please recommend holsters for an SVI that is almost exactly "stock" 1911 configuration, except that the bottom dust cover (standard length) is squared rather than rounded. I'm more interested in secure retention than speed.

Thanks!

First Post! And .. yes, I searched for "Infinity Holster" and "SVI Holster" with no hits.

When doing a search, the engine only finds exact matches for the string you entered..

Try SVI AND Holster you'll see tons of stuff.. There's always a few new things coming out, but you should find long discussions about every holster imaginable - and the holsters for the S_I's would be the most popular (I think).

I recently got a Guga Ribas from Speed Shooters. The holster seems to have no problems whatsoever. I tried the Ghost but found out very quickly that if the holster is unlocked and you put downward pressure on the back of the grip it will roll right out of the holster. I just finished the season using a Limcat but the gun would hang up in the holster unless I had the angle right. The Guga doesn't seem to have either of these issues. It has a very simple lock that you can flick off in a rush if you want, or need, to do a locked gun start. There is also a very easy tension adjustment that you can adjust at the stage without tools if you need a little tighter fit, or if you're doing a standing draw on a speed shot to lighten it.

I'm leaning more and more towards Kydex for all my gear. Having shot Production extensively for 2 years, I'm more than used to it. I'm consistantly faster out of a Bladetech than I am out of a Ghost. I've watched Manny Bragg shoot Limited out of a Bladetech a few times we've been squadded together, and I would have to say he's got one of the quickest match draws I've ever seen.

I'm consistantly faster out of a Bladetech than I am out of a Ghost.

Matt,

Why do you think that is?

My thoughts are along the line of the non-race holster being more solid...holding the gun better...allowing the shooter to go to the gun in an aggresive manner.

Flex,

I'm not sure about that.

The H&S I mentioned earlier in this thread allows the slickest and most natural draw I could imagine: I just have to slide up my right hand parallel to my body, and it will grip and draw the gun in a single fluid motion.

Hard to believe there can be a more natural and smoother movement. :unsure:

Flex, I think that's probably it. I think I am more cautious going after the gun in the Ghost or other racier holster because I always think its about to fall out. I know my fastest draw ever was out of a bladetech with production gear, not a Limited race holster.

At the Area 2 match last week I picked up a Guga Ribas holster. I have only dry fired with it to date. I will use it in a match this weekend. I like the fact that it can be tensioned with very little effort. I had a problem with my other race holster in that on a seated start the gun would dislodge from the holster. I also found the lock difficult to release. The Guga Ribas holds the gun tight and the tension can be adjusted by turning a dial. The lock is also easier to release. Of course this is for me, others have no problem with the holster I was using.

I also find the platform to be more stable. I can go for the gun more aggressively and not worry that it will fall out.

This may fall into the "Trick of the Day" catagory, but it works for me.

Good luck with whatever holster you choose.

Matt. I am the same way. And, with my Hogue (unlocked) I used to be slower from hands at side. (I could go aggressive from surrender without worry.) Fixed that (see below).

Sky, I gave up the "scoop" draw in favor of what I will call the side-slap that Burkett shows of his DVD's.

I don't know that we give up much with the "nonrace" holsters. In fact, we may gain a bit from the feeling of freedom that the extra security adds.

Funny that this thread is here. I just spent the last few days playing with holsters. I have been thinking of shooting limited 10 this year a little (got a really nice Rock River 1911 from Phil Strader). So I took the plunge and ordered a 012 and all the 077 mag pouches for a single stack (again it is winter time so I get to play a little).

Anyway, after some dry fire I started to feel the speed of the 012. But the first trip to the range changed my mind. After all the years of shooting IDPA and Production style holsters, the 012 just made me a little nervous. I switched back to my Tactical holster (I have a Kydex holster with a suede lining made for my company) and I don't think I gave up much, if any speed. I also think I am more consistent from this holster than the 012. I know I did not give it much time, but I feel much better about the security of my equipment. I think Matt is dead on with this one.

Thanks,

Ernest

Have you guys compared your draw times with a practical vs. a speed holster from a sitting position?

I agree that you aren't giving up much with the kydex holsters in a normal standing start. But the adjustability and the distance from the torso that the speed rigs offer (from what I recall and perceive) makes a marked difference in the smoothness (and maybe speed) when drawing while sitting down.

Holsters...much like mag pouches, are more of a matter of comfort. I can draw just as fast out of my idpa De-Santis or Uncle Mikes Kydex as I can my CR Speed holster. It all comes down to how much time you're willing to commit to it.

Phil