Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can a shooter be seriously competitive with .45 double stack in limite

Snapcap

In Limited 10? Sure. In Limited? Depends on how serious. A friend runs a P14-45, get 17/18 in his mags with Dawson pads. Sure he is 2-4 rounds down to the 40s, but most stages that can be worked around with good planning. He doesn't win Limited, but he shoots well.

Quite sure you give one of the big boys a P14-45 and they are still gonna kick most of us around the range.

Quite sure you give one of the big boys a P14-45 and they are still gonna kick most of us around the range.

This ^^^, there are a lot of stages where the # of rounds in the mag, # of reloads, make no difference. On a lot of ones that do a good stage breakdown, planning, and execution can make most if not all of it up.

Seems everyone talks .40 for the Limited/L10 for reasons we all know, but can one use say the new Para Pro Custom 14-45 and be competitive? Or will the limited .40 guys and gals have the advantage?

A double stack 45 would be fantastically competitive in Limited-10. In Limited, yes...there is an advantage to the 40's due to capacity. It may not be a huge advantage, but there will be times where more BB's gives more and better options.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though. If that is the gun you have/want...shoot that tool!

doing well in competition, HAS so much more to do with YOU, then it does with the gun! IMO

True enough. But I'm referring to the round per mag limitation, not the limits of shooting skill--that's another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

18rds vs 21rds...

Competitive: Yes.

Disadvantage: Sometimes... (which means yes, there is a disadvantage to having less rounds in your blaster than the other guys.)

Shoot more and get better. Then get better gear when it holds you back or whenever you want to. Just make sure that it works.

Gear is a very small part of the USPSA equation.

In Limited advantage 40 for increased capacity. There may be times where it doesn't matter and there will be times that it does. I doubt there will ever be a time in a course of fire when you say I wish I had a 45! I started with a 45 (I am a 45 fan) and went to 40's for one reason capacity and It is easier to find 40 brass.

Personally I think you can be competitive in Limited as long as the magazine capacity is 16 or greater. Rules say that each stage is a maximum of 32 rounds and each array is a maximum of 8 shots. On a stage that has four 8 shot arrays a gun with less than 16 round capacity will have to make three reloads while 16 or more round capacity will only have to make one.

On stages with random target arrays the larger capacity guns have more options on where to do reloads. For example in Open with 27 round magazines I have to make one reload, but I can make my reload anywhere in the stage I want.

As others said, it is the shooter not the gear. Before I went to Revolver, I shot a Springfield Hi-Cap 45 in limited and did as well as I would have using a 40. With Dawson pads, I get 18 rounds in the mags and I can count on one hand the number of times that the extra two rounds would have made any difference and still have fingers left over.

doing well in competition, HAS so much more to do with YOU, then it does with the gun! IMO

True enough. But I'm referring to the round per mag limitation, not the limits of shooting skill--that's another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

all I will say is that Niles J. a few times did the extra reload because...he need too....and he did it by accident on one stage. Reloading because you have not enough rounds, on a course of fire that is pretty neutral, is no excuse for not being competitive!

Again.... it HAS so much more to do with YOU than the gun!

With the .45 you can safely make major with N310 and have less muzzle flip. With the .40, you have the round count advantage.

Which is better? The round count advantage.

How much of a difference will it make with an experienced shooter???

Over the course of a 15 stage match, probably 3-5 seconds total with the stage varieties I've seen.

In other words, it won't keep you from winning B class, but it could potentially hold you back from an overall win.

Edited by Whoops!

• 2 weeks later...