Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong hand reload

LSnSC

I stong hand load 2, feels more secure and requires less eyes on required while moving. The four in hand (non quad) never felt rich to me especially weak hand. Did better stroke hand but the gun had a tendency to jostle about when I was trying to giddy up.

I think you will see it come back as more people are loading 2 often strong handed. I ran a 3 gun match yesterday that required 26 shots. After I expired the tube and both 8 round dual loads I loaded 4 strong hand from an AP caddy. I try to keep them all practiced up. You never know when you are going to be laying on your side shooting in some messed up position and need to load in some goofy way. I am working on the Qualoads right now - I am a Taccom Dealer and need to make sure I can do it. Here is a video I put together a little while ago showing all the methods for guys getting started:

I also strong hang twins and now quads. All this season though until the last 2 matches I was weak hand loading. I had tried strong hand but it didn't work well with me. I like being able to keep my shotgun on my target while moving and loading weak hand when needed.

I try to keep up on all of the loads, the last match I shot had 26 targets, I was lucky enough to barrow my friends Otto belt and that was enough for me to finish the stage, but just in case, becuase I miss often, I had extra shells set up on my belt for weak hand.

I strong hand reload duals and quads ( although i favor the dual in matches ) . I also practice weak hand loading from caddies . That works better for me if i have to do a single shell or sometimes 2 slugs randomly . My stubby fangers don't do well with the old school load 4 .

I am a nobody, club-level shooter in 3G for about 2 years. I was loading 3-at-a-time strong hand from 6-rd caddies, because of stubby fingers and because I was faster while moving than dropping shells with weak hand. I switched to load-2 strong hand, b/c it is better.

I am a nobody, club-level shooter in 3G for about 2 years. I was loading 3-at-a-time strong hand from 6-rd caddies, because of stubby fingers and because I was faster while moving than dropping shells with weak hand. I switched to load-2 strong hand, b/c it is better.

Preachin the gospel !!

• 3 months later...

For me it was a no go with either strong hand or weak hand from any type of shell caddy that holds shell horisontally. I didn't have the motivation to work on the loading technique. The load two works well since I don't need to paractice as much.

• 2 months later...

i have been messing with both and strong hand just seems to work better for me with twins and quads...i think i just have better dexterity with my strong hand...which was the deciding factor.

Daniel Horner and Joel Turner are the only guys on top that load strong hand out of traditional caddys. It's definitely not the fastest method out there. So why mess with it? DDTQ is the way to go now for 3 gun especially if you're just getting started.

Nope. Carl Carbon still loads old school caddies strong hand. One of the best but with years of practice.

As for just practicing in the living room and not hitting the range and loading under the clock...Talked to Ron Avery at SMM3G...held up a red, black and blistered hand. Had not considered that loading strong hand you can burn your support hand on the barrel.

For Quads, the strong hand is certainly going to have a lower fumble factor over the long haul. But for loading Twins, there are advantages to both weak and strong, so you should put in some effort to try both.

As for the old school caddies, after carrying one in the bag all last year and never using it, took it out of the bag for 2014. I really can't think of any circumstance where I would need it. I have been practicing loading a Twin with the gun on the shoulder, and it is actually easier and faster than loading 2 old school weak hand for me.

Edited by MarkCO

Daniel Horner and Joel Turner are the only guys on top that load strong hand out of traditional caddys. It's definitely not the fastest method out there. So why mess with it? DDTQ is the way to go now for 3 gun especially if you're just getting started.

Nope. Carl Carbon still loads old school caddies strong hand. One of the best but with years of practice.

As for just practicing in the living room and not hitting the range and loading under the clock...Talked to Ron Avery at SMM3G...held up a red, black and blistered hand. Had not considered that loading strong hand you can burn your support hand on the barrel.

For Quads, the strong hand is certainly going to have a lower fumble factor over the long haul. But for loading Twins, there are advantages to both weak and strong, so you should put in some effort to try both.

As for the old school caddies, after carrying one in the bag all last year and never using it, took it out of the bag for 2014. I really can't think of any circumstance where I would need it. I have been practicing loading a Twin with the gun on the shoulder, and it is actually easier and faster than loading 2 old school weak hand for me.

When did Taran Start loading strong hand? Edited by Jesse Tischauser

When did Taran Start loading strong hand?

Carl Carbon, not Taran. But I am sure both can load well any method they want. :)

Oh, I have known that for a good long while. It didn't even happen loading, but rather trying to clear a jam in my old 11-87 with my weak hand on the forearm...until the whole thing rolled in my hand. One second-degree shotgun burn was enough to teach me!

I wear a weak-hand glove on shotgun stages because I dual-/quad-load strong hand. SinistralRifleman sells a forearm/barrel wrap that has possibilities. I think he intended it as a matte wrap for AR-15s to keep glare out of the optics, but it can be used as a simple shotgun handguard, as well.

I was looking at that heat wrap, but i too wear a weak hand glove on shotgun stages because i load strong side duals ( mostly ) . Well with the popularity of dual and quad loading i would think someone may address the heat issue loading dual strong with some doodad or gizmo. I look forward to it

I actually got one of Sinistral's wraps. It is a good idea, but it definitely works better on a constant cross-section, like an AR handguard. The forearm on the M2 (like most shotguns) slopes up somewhat towards the muzzle, which means when you wrap it, the wrap doesn't line up evenly. If he made a variation on the wrap that was bias cut with an angled velcro strip that conforms to the shotgun dimensions, I think it would be a real winner for strong hand loading.

I watched a video the other day with Miculek shooting an Xrailed own gun where is locked like he's was grabbing a few from an arm band to strong hard reload mixing between positions. Made me think that is should keep my old 3GunGear.com stuff closer to the top of my junk bin just in case.

On another note, how much faster is weakhand quad loading over strong hand quad loading?

I watched a video the other day with Miculek shooting an Xrailed own gun where is locked like he's was grabbing a few from an arm band to strong hard reload mixing between positions. Made me think that is should keep my old 3GunGear.com stuff closer to the top of my junk bin just in case.

On another note, how much faster is weakhand quad loading over strong hand quad loading?

Armband loading or standard belt caddy is great for that odd load I between positions especially when you're loading out of speed sticks and cant push all four. For hand loading if you have room to flip the gun off your shoulder then always drop a duece or toss in a quad.

If you need one and don't have far to go or no movement load one out of a tradition weak hand caddy or off a OS gun mounted caddy without dismounting the gun.

I don't think either strong or weak hand loading is faster than the other. Certain situations are better for one that the other though. Tight spaces like strong hand cause the gun is pulled in more and angled down.

If you gotta load off the beep you can pretty much put your gun in the loading position and still be holding it at a low ready start position.

If you have a gun on table start and need to load instantly weakhand is faster cause you only have to grab the gun with one hand do the other hand can go straight to shells.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I think part of my challenge is that I have to shift my weak hand grip to get the gun on my shoulder for a strong hand load. If would be faster if I could twist my wrist far enough to keep my grip but it does doesn't seem to want to twist that way. It just feels like half of my time loading 8 is moving the gun into and out of position.