Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

first time to clean my Trubor problem?

DrLove

folks, I just took apart my Trubor for its first cleaning. Well, then I put everything back togehter with one problem. Slide does not go back into full battery with a round in the chamber!! Do you guys know why?

Edited by DrLove

so probably no one will ever beleive this but I had a squib in the bbl!!!!!!!!!!!!! As in wow, I could have just pulled the trigger wihtout noticing this. I have no clue how did that get in!!!!!!!!! As in last time I shot that everything was fine...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't take any heat for not cleaning your barrel. The only thing I put down the barrels of my open guns are 121grain MG IFP bullets. I do clean the chamber obviously and look down them but nothing down the barrel for years now and I shoot a significant amount. Also I only clean when I think I might start having reliability issues before a major match which translates to around 1200 to 2000 rounds between cleanings.

There, I've made my confession, I feel so much better now !

Edited by TerryO

Schuemann says to not put things besides bullets down a barrel

LOL That's funny, don't care who you are that's funny!! :) LOL

So is Schuemann saying I shouldn't run my Otis down the barrel?

Edited by mike g35

Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullet

From Schuemann site. So yes.

Squibs are bad juju. ..

Especially when it seems nobody knows how it got there. Usually somebody on a stage realizes there was a squib when it happens. Especially with an Open gun, it should have been quite obvious.

That thought crossed my mind but I gathered from the OP that the gun was going most of the way into battery. If the bullet is pretty far in there I would think that would be a squib. If the round had been too long and the bullet got left behind the slide would barely go forward

That thought crossed my mind but I gathered from the OP that the gun was going most of the way into battery. If the bullet is pretty far in there I would think that would be a squib. If the round had been too long and the bullet got left behind the slide would barely go forward

Yep. My thoughts too.

When I bought my open gun the seller gave me a few hundred rounds for it to use, not having any 38super rounds I figured why not shoot them up. At a club night shoot I ended up having 2 squib rounds both times there were not much of a diffrance in sound and the slide moved just jammed the spent case, if this was the last shot I would think the barrel would be clear. Might have been what happened to you?

I don't think the OP has shot his Trubor in a match yet, as he has just started reloading for it.

correct, never shot it with my loads yet in a match. Seems need much more tools/testing. Weird things are still happening.

the gun did go to many matches though, just not with my loads, with AAA ammo it works like a dram.