Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carnival Texas stars

This is actually 2 questions.

When is it too much? A texas star with barrels on each side, so you can only see one side at a time, and with a popper activated bouncing no shoot metric on top half of star, with a swinging steel hard cover on bottom half.

Second question: if I decide to just say $#&$@ it, and move on, do I have to send 5 rounds towards the star to avoid failure to engage targets?

When is it too much? A texas star with barrels on each side, so you can only see one side at a time, and with a popper activated bouncing no shoot metric on top half of star, with a swinging steel hard cover on bottom half.

Second question: if I decide to just say $#&$@ it, and move on, do I have to send 5 rounds towards the star to avoid failure to engage targets?

On the second question, yes.

On the first question any pictures?

On the second question, yes.

On the first question any pictures?

Better yet, any videos. That sounds like fun,,,,,,to watch!

I think, personally, that things like this prove that people are not "afraid" of Texas stars and many shooters if not most shooters handle them just fine with a little practice. We shoot them here and people tend to get used to them quickly, and then when they show up at a steel match, our shooters handle them quickly and accurately. Same with the Polish Plate Rack and the movers. So, MDs need "tricks" to make them big and bad and scarey!! Just shoot them and have fun!! IMHO...

Can you shoot it before knocking down the activating popper?

The most I've ever done was to put three pepper poppers directly in front of the lower three plates of the star. The outer two activated no-shoot swingers behind the star. The no-shoots only covered from about 2-4 o'clock on the right and 8-10 o'clock on the left. But you could shoot the center popper and take most (if not all) of the star plates before activating the swingers.

Edited by JAFO

It was somewhat like a typical swinger, but the target swinger was on a swivel rod. Somewhat like a swinger on a swinger. I have seen these with metric targets in them, but this time there was a no shoot in it, in front of the texas star. the bottom weight of the larger main swinger was a black steel plate that acted as a hard cover, swinging back and forth over the lower plates.

A few years back, the term "bubblegum IPSC" had widespread use on this forum. The phrase "monkey prop tossing" got some mileage after a Nat's where the super squad guys forgot to carry an ammo can in "the typical luggage carry position" and racked up a bunch of PE's when a lot of the top shooters carried it like the football on the Heisman trophy instead.

Guess I changed my signature line too soon. It was a cut and paste out of the first page of the rulebook, about the guiding principles of the sport, and for stages to be practical.

I must be broken, because that sounds like fun to me. On the down side one shot throughs the no shoot that hits a plate and we have a REF Reshoot ( all targets are impenetrable) if they put the no shoot behind the star that problem would go away.

The big thing to remember when encountering targets like that is they are mostly mental, just aim at the target when and where it is available and press the trigger. If you focus on the target at hand and the sights the rest of the stuff kind of goes into the background.

Oh and you really want to shoot it if you are at all capable. Skip the star all together and you would get 5 FTE's and 5 misses so down 100 points in penalties so the rest of the stage would need to be at least 20 Alphas just to get back to zero

Mike

The risk verses reward all comes down to the hit factor math. If the crazyness of a star takes too much time to engage or you risk losing too many points by clipping no shoots, then it may make sense to throw 5 rounds "At it" quickly then move on hoping that you get at least one or two plates in the process. If the high hit factor for the stage is 8.0 then you would have to "Save" 9.4 seconds of not dealing with the texas star by throwing 5 rounds at it and not hitting any plates then moving on. 9.4 seconds is a LONG time though so the texast star contraption situation would have to be VERY time consuming to complete in order to make it worth blowing off. You would more than likely have to take down 2 - 3 plates then shoot the extra rounds but blowing off the rest might be a viable plan. But it all depends on what the high hit factor of the stage is. The higher the hit factor the more viable blowing off plates becomes.

The risk verses reward all comes down to the hit factor math. If the crazyness of a star takes too much time to engage or you risk losing too many points by clipping no shoots, then it may make sense to throw 5 rounds "At it" quickly then move on hoping that you get at least one or two plates in the process. If the high hit factor for the stage is 8.0 then you would have to "Save" 9.4 seconds of not dealing with the texas star by throwing 5 rounds at it and not hitting any plates then moving on. 9.4 seconds is a LONG time though so the texast star contraption situation would have to be VERY time consuming to complete in order to make it worth blowing off. You would more than likely have to take down 2 - 3 plates then shoot the extra rounds but blowing off the rest might be a viable plan. But it all depends on what the high hit factor of the stage is. The higher the hit factor the more viable blowing off plates becomes.

I understand what you are saying. would you happen to have a link that would teach a guy how to figure out if a stage is a high or low hit factor stage before shooting it? I've heard people talking about it before but have no clue how to figure it out.

I understand what you are saying. would you happen to have a link that would teach a guy how to figure out if a stage is a high or low hit factor stage before shooting it? I've heard people talking about it before but have no clue how to figure it out.

That is easy. Use a stop watch to time a realistic dry fire run through the whole stage. The key here is to dry fire the stage at a realistic speed. Then take the total stage points and divide it by your dry fire time. That will give you a probable hit factor for the stage. If you are a B class shooter you can assume that your performance will be 60% - 70% of what the top shooters will be performing. As a B class shooter if you simply add 30% - 40% to your hit factor that will be the probable high hit factor for the stage. Doing this is obviously a guess, but it usually ends up pretty close when I do it that way.