Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer problem fixed

just a heads up. I recently got a new case of winchester lp primers for my .45 acp. started to have problems, sometimes the primer loading arm would not pick up a primer. checked and cleaned for dirt, checked adjustments, but could not find any problem. then I started having trouble loading primers in the pick-up tube. could load a few and then one would not go in. pushed on it pretty hard and still no-go. I had to poke them out backwards of the tube. Picked up a case of federal primers and have loaded 300 or so and no problems whatsoever. Any of you guys ever run into this before? Just thought I would mention this in case anyone else has this issue arise. Ron. Press is 550b.

i also have noticed recently that w primers are not very uniform...i have no idea how old mine are but when you put them in the fllipper tray you can see that some are flat on the bottom and some are more dome shaped....but they all work fine in my machines....

i also had a problem with my machine li've never experienced before....the primer punch was not retacting all the way back down as it should on my 650....i put the small assembly from my other machine and it cured the issue...dillon has another one on the way

personally i don't like cci primers....i have had large pistol ones that were so big that you couldn't seat them flush......D I C K

I just got done loading about 100 40 cals with Winchester primers. Every time I picked them up in the tube four or five would get stuck. Even using the out of primer thing to try and punch them through they would not break free. I had to take the yellow plastic thing off the tube and of course primers go flying all over. I'm going to try CCI next time!

I am running in to primmer feed issues on my 650, Small Pistol and it's about 5 per hundred don't like to feed straight.

Is Winchester / Olin still manufacturing their primers here in the US, or have they out sourced production to North Korea like the "White box" ammo line?

After the last national election I finally bought 15k Winchester small rifle for 223 and 40. I finished off the Federals I had and just started on the Winchester and noticed some issues, I love it when a plan comes together!

So with the primers being out of spec, what are y'all doing about it? Call the manufacturer and complain? Will they send new ones to you? Obviously a store whether local or online will NOT take back primers. But the bottom line is you paid for a product and didn't get what you paid for. Any options here?

Two things

1. I have the Pal filler and some of the winchester primers hang up before they drop. Gotta push them in by hand. Havent had a problem with federal at all.

2. I had a winchester primer fizzle on me at this past sundays match. It dropped out when I racked the slide. Didn't ignite the powder at all. Flash hole wasn't obstructed.

• 1 month later...

I've been having problems with Winchester SP primers loading 38 super. In a run of 500 rounds, I will get 3 or 4 incidents where the case is fed 2 primers. I have to add significant pressure on the handle to cycle my 1050 and the case that was over the double primer is jammed cockeyed in the shell plate when it arrives at the powder station. I have to remove that case because the primer looks as though it has been fired. The case will not fire after this. The primer that was forced into the seated primer falls out on the loading bench flattened. No problem with Federal but I have about 15,000 Winchesters that I recently purchased.

I've been having problems with Winchester SP primers loading 38 super. In a run of 500 rounds, I will get 3 or 4 incidents where the case is fed 2 primers. I have to add significant pressure on the handle to cycle my 1050 and the case that was over the double primer is jammed cockeyed in the shell plate when it arrives at the powder station. I have to remove that case because the primer looks as though it has been fired. The case will not fire after this. The primer that was forced into the seated primer falls out on the loading bench flattened. No problem with Federal but I have about 15,000 Winchesters that I recently purchased.

Its highly unlikely the 1050 could feed 2 primers, maybe even impossible. Same with the 650. What is probably happening is the used primer is getting pulled back into place at the decaping station, and getting pushed back into place by the new live primer at the seating station. Its not the Win primers. If they go in the tube they should be good to go.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I have only been using CCI large pistol primers and of late they are sometimes getting caught up in the feed tube of my 650, plate rotates but doesn't pick up a primer... Think they are actually binding in the tube because when it happens I can hear them drop when I get them moving again

Not worried yet but it may not just be Winchester....

How much of it may be related to companies rushing the manufacturing process to keep up with demand?