Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Major Ammo for Tactical Sport

Jody Waring

I posted about this before, just wondering if anyone has developed any other loads that they would like to share. I have been shooting a 180 gr. cast this year with good success. Accuracy is good, and is very reliable. The Hodgdon manual says 5.4 of WSF with a jacketed bullet, and I backed the load off to 5.0 and 5.2 and they both shoot really well. I would like to develop some more loads with cast and plated/fmj and am hoping to get some insight. I have titegroup, WSF, WST, 231, N320, long shot, and HS6. Where I have to load short for these mags and the short chamber, as you guys know a lot of data we see is for longer OAL and doesn't work for us. Anything you would be willing to share would be appreciated. I will be loading to IPSC power factor of 170. Thanks!

i run a 180 fmj-fp with 5.1grs of vihtavuori nn340 at 1.135 coal making the pf by a hair according to my chronyLOL.

very accurate, my TS is a tack driver at any typical distance. however i know i meet the FPS/PF numbers by a hair,used it in my TS when it was my main standard gun ( now a G35).

very mellow load in my TS while not as mellow in my G35 .there's still some space left in the case ,the TS like it.

found some chrony numbers i've got when i was testing for my TS:

1-942

2-947

3-944

4-951

5-942

6-962

7-944

8-945

9-956

10-947

chrono'ed on my digital pro-chrony .

Edited by sigsauerfan

What would be a safe starting point? 4.4-4.5? I might give the N320 a try.

why start that low? you'll certainly need more powder to make major, so I'd start at 4.7 or 4.8. I use 5.1 gr of n320 with a plated bullet at 1.13 oal, typically chronos 170-173 out of a cz 75b (4.75" barrel).

There's a reason n320 is so popular. It's fast enough that the recoil impulse is lower than many other powders, but slow enough that you need not fear overpressure issues.

The load I tried with 4.7 of N320 yielded me an average just at 165 +/- power factor with only one round making it to 951 fps, which likely was a fluke considering the spread; the others were 912-920 fps. I loaded a few more at 4.9 and hopefully will try them tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll end up at 5.0-5.1 as mentioned earlier in the thread. SDM, I hadn't thought about 231, how is the recoil impulse?

The load I tried with 4.7 of N320 yielded me an average just at 165 +/- power factor with only one round making it to 951 fps, which likely was a fluke considering the spread; the others were 912-920 fps. I loaded a few more at 4.9 and hopefully will try them tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll end up at 5.0-5.1 as mentioned earlier in the thread. SDM, I hadn't thought about 231, how is the recoil impulse?

just finished loading another batch of 40 ammo at 5.1 grs of NN340@ 1.135.....there,s still .6 left before the max load of 5.7 according to vitha,fps jumps in the range of 1037fps !!!

I'm not good at judging it against others. I like it. I've shot a friends loads using N320 and I can't tell a difference (recoil wise). You may though.

For production, I switched from titegroup to 231 with 147s and like it much better. I might give it a try. I have to admit, even though I didn't make factor, the N320 load was really soft and don't expect the recoil to get much harsher from 165 to 170. Never considered N340, if I ever see any available I might give it a try.

My standard Tac Sport load has been 4.6g Ramshot Competition or 4.7g N320 w/180g MG @1.135" Both make 172PF with no noticeable difference in recoil impulse. Almost all my loads are the Ramshot load since i can't tell any difference and the Competition powder is much less expensive.

My chronograph crapped out tonight so wasn't able to check my ammo. I weighed a bunch and the N320 seems to be metering well and my loads ended up with 5.0 gr. With no time to get to the range before the weekend it looks like ill be going back to my Shadow. I'm almost thinking I should just shoot the match and try to shoot alphas with the TS, major or minor.

My chronograph crapped out tonight so wasn't able to check my ammo. I weighed a bunch and the N320 seems to be metering well and my loads ended up with 5.0 gr. With no time to get to the range before the weekend it looks like ill be going back to my Shadow. I'm almost thinking I should just shoot the match and try to shoot alphas with the TS, major or minor.

Sorry I have not checked this thread for a while. The OAL I am loading at is 1.135-1.138. In my G35 KKM barrel with 180gr Precision Deltas I'm at 987 fps (177PF). For some reason I can't find my TS data in my log book. I guess I will do it over again when it comes back from IonBond.

Given the assumption that the VV N320 is behaving "linearly"...your load of 4.7gr at 920fps is 195.74 fps per grain. Therefore, 5.0 grains is 977 fps. I think you are in good shape with a margin of error. Then again, I'm a few thousand miles south of you and have nothing to lose. :goof:

For the record, I believe that my initial chrono results were wrong. I shot my Provincial Championships this weekend and my load with an "AIM" Canadian produced 180 gr projectile with 5.1 gr of N320 yielded me 182 PF. I can definitely back it off, the original 4.7 load should easily get me over 170. I should have spent more time working up a load, one can't take anything for granted including the possibility of faulty equipment. Thanks for all the help guys, it is deeply appreciated!

Temperature difference,.. Yes it was but significant I would say no. 2-3 degrees celcius at the most. Ammo was in a plastic Tupperware container out of the sun on both occasions. Mind you .4 of a grain increase is a lot as far as I'm concerned with a faster powder especially in .40 and the 4.7 load will likely make major just on that day it was a different chrono and it likely wasn't giving accurate readings. I'm going to try it again on the weekend and see if this is the case.

• 1 year later...

I just realized i had a typo in my earlier post. I use 4.6gr of 231 with Blue and Bayou bullets at 1.135 oal. Makes ~171pf. Might take 4.8 with plated. I'm not sure how different lead would be than coated.

Edited by SDM