Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some Rifle Gear Inquires

YounMultiGunner

I have a Lancer Systems Super Competition upper, I am going to buy the matching Lancer lower. I am looking at different stocks and triggers, so far I like the ACE and VLTOR fIxed stocks, I'm most likely going to end up with the ACE one.

As far as triggers go I'm looking at the Geissle Super Dynamic 3 Gun trigger or the AR Gold, I liked both of the ones I tried and it dosen't really matter that much to me, though. I really would like some input on the qaultiy of the products I picked out. I am open to other options, too.

I am looking at scopes, too. I have looked through all of the popular 1-4/6x scopes out there. By far my favorite is the Vortex Razor HD 1-6x: It has the clarity of the Swaro, Awesome field of view, and has the best reticle. Heres the thing, I like to do a lot of long range shooting, and I don't do as much multi-gun as I'd like, so I have been I eyeing the NF 2.5-10x with a scope cover. With the scope cover down and the Illuminated reticle with both eyes open, the reticle just kind of floats around and I can shoot almost as fast with a 1x whatever up close. Then I just flip up the lens cap for long range shots. I'm looking for serious input on that front, also. I have and optics budget of about $1650. Again, I'm open to other suggestions.

~Seth

I used to run a NF 2.5-10 back in the day when I started. The Vortex will be a much better option for you. The true 1x is way more important than cranking it up to 10x in 3gun.

And I'd pick the AR gold, but triggers are as personal as underwear.

Nice upper. I run a Lancer, very nice rifles. Mine has an EFX-A2 stock, and the CMC trigger, both which came with the lower. I thought about the gold trigger and a different stock but after shooting it I ready liked the set up. Prior to the Lancer I've always shot an adjustable stock but now prefer the solid fixed.

If you shoot more long-range than 3Gun, I would go with the NF and an offset red dot. That would put you in Open but since you only do it occasionally, that should be fine, right? That would give you the best of both worlds.

The Vortex is awesome but if you are doing more LR, I would rather have the NF.

Thanks, I have all winter to sit on it. Next year I'm going to try to make at least 1 match a month. I can't afford the offset rds. I ordered the ACE stock and the Geissle trigger. I think Ill just buy the Vortex. Mostly because I want to get serious about multi gun. Again, Ive got all winter to think about optics.

Thanks, I have all winter to sit on it. Next year I'm going to try to make at least 1 match a month. I can't afford the offset rds. I ordered the ACE stock and the Geissle trigger. I think Ill just buy the Vortex. Mostly because I want to get serious about multi gun. Again, Ive got all winter to think about optics.

My vote is for the Vortex also. IMO it is way better than the NF for multi gun. I started shooting multi gun with my NF 2.5-10x32 because that was all I had (I had it for a .308 build). The main thing I didnt like was that the illumination is not daylight visible, and I shoot in AZ and it gets pretty bright here. Also with the scope on 10x I found the FOV was too small (or the mag was too much), and sometimes when shooting a long range stage fast, I would get "lost" when there a bunch of targets, or if they were close together. For example if there were 6 targets close together, I would accidently skip one, then realize I only shot 5 and not 6, and had to figure out which one I missed. Once I also shot the same target twice, because I was going to fast, and swung past the next target, then came back too far, and shot the same one. I got the Vortex earlier in the year, and I love it. Daylight bright illum in the AZ sun, and I think the 6x is perfect for father distances. We even had a stage a few months ago with a 550 yard shot and it was no problem. I actually just sold my NF and will be getting another Razor, as I love it that much. Im sure the swaro is awesome, but you could almost have 2 razors for the price.

Oh and I agree with you, I love the reticle of the Razor also, I think it is perfect for multi gun for me.

One thing I would recommend is an extended mount for the Razor. I have mine currently in a standard LaRue LT-104, but I just bought the extended Bobro and I think that will be perfect, since the eye relief is so generous on the Razor. I havent mounted it yet, but Im pretty confident it will be the way to go. I actually just bought a 2nd extened Bobro for when I get the 2nd Razor.

I am not an expert and YMMV, but just wanted to give you my experiences and opinions. Hope this helps and good luck with your search!

FWIW, a buddy of mine who shoots a lot of high power with the National Guard said the Geiselle has a much faster lock time than the Gold. I love my Gold but am going to try a Geiselle on my next build. I'm too bad a shooter to feel lock time, he shoots so much of the high power game that he can feel it.

Thank you guys. I won the upper at this years MGM 3gun junior camp. I also won a Warne mount, so I'm good there. I do like NTCH for Irons but as long as I Practice NPOA with it I should have no trouble. Since I am going to get serious about 3-gun, Ill buy the Vortex.

On an aside note: I really appreciate the input.

~Seth

I'm switching from a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x to a Vortex Razor HD 1-4x (because its FFP and I hate the reticle they put in the gen 2 1-6x)

If you want to run a higher magnification scope, off set iron sights is another option too that would keep you out of open.

I have an AR gold in one 3 gun rifle and a Giessle Super (not dynamic) 3 Gun in the other. I like them both but the edge probably goes to the AR gold

You know the best accessory? A good zero. WAY more important than this trigger or that, this stock or that, this scope or that. The important questions are stuff like this: can you hit an A zone consistently offhand at 100? Reverse kneeling at 200? Prone at 300? Can you run thru a shoot house quickly and efficiently? Can you shoot support side? Can you manage a sling? do you know where to hold on a plate at 150? Can you remember offset on close range targets?

That being said, 2.5-10X scope is a bit much or 3 gun. If you like the Votex, buy one. Zero it. Check zero again. Practice. Then practice some more.

I polled guys like Craig Outzen, Tommy Thacker, and Greg Jordan. I shoot a stock rifle with irons, no brake, and mil-spec trigger. I was smacking 10 inch plates at 350 off of a rooftop prop.

I just want to step up my game a little. I prefer heavier triggers with short resets. I like simple reticles and clear glass. Solid and medium weight stocks.

That said I really appreciate Kelly and Jesse's advice and input.

~Seth

I polled guys like Craig Outzen, Tommy Thacker, and Greg Jordan. I shoot a stock rifle with irons, no brake, and mil-spec trigger. I was smacking 10 inch plates at 350 off of a rooftop prop.

I just want to step up my game a little. I prefer heavier triggers with short resets. I like simple reticles and clear glass. Solid and medium weight stocks.

That said I really appreciate Kelly and Jesse's advice and input.

~Seth

That makes it simple then. JP Trigger with yellow springs, Leuopold VX6 1-6 with a cross hair and an illuminated dot in the middle.

Ummm he said Iron sights!!! I agree, I have never been disapointed by a good set of Irons. At the ranges the "pro,s" shoot they would never be a handycap, and probably better than many optics!! I got to agreee with Mr.T though, Swaro scopes....but I'll bet a J.P. tirggers gives the Gold a run for the money on the "pro" circuit, I know a lot of these guys and the J.P. is what many use.

You know the best accessory? A good zero. WAY more important than this trigger or that, this stock or that, this scope or that. The important questions are stuff like this: can you hit an A zone consistently offhand at 100? Reverse kneeling at 200? Prone at 300? Can you run thru a shoot house quickly and efficiently? Can you shoot support side? Can you manage a sling? do you know where to hold on a plate at 150? Can you remember offset on close range targets?

That being said, 2.5-10X scope is a bit much or 3 gun. If you like the Votex, buy one. Zero it. Check zero again. Practice. Then practice some more.

Kelly, better they spend all their time and ammo shooting little groups off a bench. :D