Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Evening at the Grill

Trini

Was grilling steaks this evening and on the phone reading Enos while they cooked. Heard a loud pop and looked toward the grill and noticed the tank was on fire. Tried to close the tank but flames was going really good. Ran back into the basement and called for the wife to get a bucket with water. After 3 attempts of throwing water on the tank fire finally went out. But gas was still leaking and it took a couple of tries to shut it off. Had to finish cooking the steaks on the electric skillet. Didn't taste quite as good.

Bummer news... Big Green Egg with lump charcoal... No gas needed!!!!!

+100. glad yer ok, but charcoal is the only way to bbq.

Yeah but he said he was grilling. Not BBQing. Personally I grill on gas and BBQ with charcoal.

I'm thinking of getting a pellet bbq next Just set the temp you want and let it cook. Wood pellets come in different flavors too. My buddies dad cooks on one. I kinda like it.

To the OP. Glad that fire went out. Was it a 20 pound tank?

Before you light a grill, check the burner tubes to make sure there are no bug nests in them. It is a common occurrence and the results can be disastrous. One of the reasons we tell people to keep grills away from overhangs and wood structures. Higher end grills have bug screens for a reason. I work a few grill fires just like this every year. Problem is the obstruction usually gets burned away leaving no obvious cause.

Before you light a grill, check the burner tubes to make sure there are no bug nests in them. It is a common occurrence and the results can be disastrous. One of the reasons we tell people to keep grills away from overhangs and wood structures. Higher end grills have bug screens for a reason. I work a few grill fires just like this every year. Problem is the obstruction usually gets burned away leaving no obvious cause.

I see a novel twist in there somewhere.

Bummer news... Big Green Egg with lump charcoal... No gas needed!!!!!

+100. glad yer ok, but charcoal is the only way to bbq.

Yeah but he said he was grilling. Not BBQing. Personally I grill on gas and BBQ with charcoal.

I'm thinking of getting a pellet bbq next Just set the temp you want and let it cook. Wood pellets come in different flavors too. My buddies dad cooks on one. I kinda like it.

To the OP. Glad that fire went out. Was it a 20 pound tank?

It was a 20 pound. I was told tanks if they get to hot gas pressure will release. Never had that happen before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...