Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock River 3 gun rifle good/ bad

Travtastik

My local shop called me today and told me they had a rifle for me to check out. Ends up they got got a rock river 3 gun rifle, and I think I am in love. Anyone have any experience with one?

I have been setting money aside for a JP rifle but this is about a third of the price. So I am looking for some opinions from the crowed.

They do not support the shooting sports...move on. There are at least 20 good AR companies out there that give 100s of thousands of dollars in cash and prizes to prize tables every year. If you a going to shoot the sport, support those that support it!

JPRifles are at the top, but there are better values out there than the RR.

Agreed. Buy to support the sport. If you've had your sights set on a JP, you will be dissapointed with the RR. I like JP's too, and there are several other good companies to buy from. Just close your eyes and back away slowly. Unless of course this is one of those threads where we find out later that you actually already bought it and were hoping for validation.

Haha I have not made the purchase but I was close. If I was not headed up to Rockcastle in the morning it may have been a different story. I hope I have a chance to check several rifles and see what I like. I hate to drop that kind of coin and not check all the options.

Oh man, at RM3G, John Paul broke out several "soon to be offered" products. His 308 SBR with switch block and suppressor was especially eye catching for me. Nearly tripped over a picknic bench staring at the rifle as I walked by. JP says it will be available sooner than later. Bring it on!

So with this line of thinking I should stop shooting my Rock River at the 3gun matches because they don't support. Man is that closed minded. Shoot what you want to shoot.

I agree that you should shoot what works for you, however, I think supporting companies that support us is just as important.

Accusing us of being close minded is a bit harsh...is it close minded to try and buy stuff made in the USA vs. stuff made overseas? Sometimes it might not be possible, but I think we should do it when possible. That doesn't make me close minded.

So with this line of thinking I should stop shooting my Rock River at the 3gun matches because they don't support. Man is that closed minded. Shoot what you want to shoot.

If its what you got, shoot it. If you are going out and buying a new rig for 3 gun, the companies that support the sport deserve at the very least a mention in these types of threads.

The RRA seems like a nice rifle. My preference would be to save my pennies for a JP or buy a similarly priced gun from a supporting company, like a Stag 3G.

My local shop called me today and told me they had a rifle for me to check out. Ends up they got got a rock river 3 gun rifle, and I think I am in love. Anyone have any experience with one?

I have been setting money aside for a JP rifle but this is about a third of the price. So I am looking for some opinions from the crowed.

Back to the original question, I like my Rock River. Shoots well, very accurate, and never had any problems. The RR 3G rifle seem very nice for the price point. I am sure that this rifle will perform like any other RR.

Yes.

Mick

Has anyone ever asked Rockriver for sponsorship?

As an average shooter, I am my own sponsor. I am sure that most of us has the same problem as me. As I started to get more involved in 3G, I started to buy more items from "The Sponsors". In reality, I am still paying the same retail price as I would from a non-sponsor. I believe that only the top shooters benefit from "The Sponsors". Let's turn the prize table upside down and see how the Pros feel.

Back to the original question, I like my Rock River. Shoots well, very accurate, and never had any problems. The RR 3G rifle seem very nice for the price point. I am sure that this rifle will perform like any other RR.

Yes.

Mick

Has anyone ever asked Rockriver for sponsorship?

As an average shooter, I am my own sponsor. I am sure that most of us has the same problem as me. As I started to get more involved in 3G, I started to buy more items from "The Sponsors". In reality, I am still paying the same retail price as I would from a non-sponsor. I believe that only the top shooters benefit from "The Sponsors". Let's turn the prize table upside down and see how the Pros feel.

Every big match I have been to has had a good enough prize table that even folks at the back end of the table were still getting good stuff or close to their entry fee back. That is from the sponsors. Nothing against RRA I have owned them and they are a middle quality rifle priced about right for what they offer. But if I have a choice between two products at a similar value I will take the one that supports the sport over the one that did not.

Pat

You are not your own sponsor unless you are wearing blinders. EVERY shooter at every 3G match in some part benefits form the sponsors. Food, lower entry fees, targets, etc benefit all shooters.

RR 3G, worth about $1100, JP worth every penny AND they support the sport.

If there were no sponsors, majors would not exist or the price would be MUCH higher. The Noveske match benefited from over $30k of sponsorship just to get the first match on the ground, mostly NSSF and MGM targets. It is America, buy whatever you want, but buying a RR instead of say a M&P or a Stag IS a detriment to our sport.

I would love to find a stag 3 gun rifle but I have had no luck. 2 local shops have had them on back order since last year. I have seen a few on gun broker but not for a price I am willing to pay.

No one is going to give you a hard time if you should up to your match with the RockRiver. I'm sure you shoot well with it. I've retired my RR. Currently, I'm running a Colt CRP-Pro 18.

My first rifle was a Rock River, It shot well as i shot more and more I bought a Stag 3g and it shoots better. If i had the foresight i would have bought a JP like i want now and the money i have in the Rock River (modified) and the Stag (modified) i could have bought a JP. There are things on the JP i am not crazy about but the ones i have been around shoot great and are reliable, the chances are a JP will get you to a high level of competition and still be a solid performer! The AR platform is like the small block chevy so there is always something new to bolt on to it. The shooter skill set is the biggest factor.

RockRivers are fine reliable rifles, however I just read the description and am not overly impressed with they're "3 gun comp rifles". Not to say they aren't good rifles but for the money, and upgrades you'd need or want to do, I'd go with something different. My first 3G rifle was a S&W Vtac model, it's light, shoots well, reliable, has a JP trigger and is a nice handling gun. Accuracy, however is at best 1.5 moa. It's a great gun for matches where the longest shot is at 100, beyond that I was out gunned. At that time S&W listed the rifle for $1,800, that price point was (in my opinion) way too much, I wish I had waited. After learning the hard way I bought a Lancer, sub moa, cmc trigger, and a HUGE mag well for quick mag changes. JP is a great rifle, I like the Lancer better partly because they do a lot of LE/Mil business. Check out the Super Comp, I'd buy 12 if I had the $$$.