Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Capacity Questions for you experienced 3 Gunners

Moltke

Recently I installed the Nordic extension on my Versamax Tactical shotgun to give it an total capacity of 12 + 1. Additionally I have in my range bag the parts to change it to a 10 + 1 capacity, or an 8 + 1 capacity if the need arises.

First question - I assume that changing capacity on a shotgun while at a match is no different than changing chokes and since you're using the same gun the whole time... it won't change your division/etc. Is that accurate?

Second question - Is there a reason to have an extension that holds an odd number of shells? Such as a 9 +1 or an 11 +1? If the new generally accepted loading method is either by 2's or 4's, then how does an odd numbered extension fit into the plan?

I don't know of any match that lets you change the tube during the match except trooper at IronMan and CTC Invitational.

The extra capacity allows you to top off at the beep if you want. 10 or 12 would be prime provided you have an 1/2" past full, otherwise 11 or 13. The longer the tube, especially with clamps and mid-threads, the higher the propensity for feeding problems and the requirement to change the mag tube spring more often.

I have gone to 10 and it works for me.

Didn't realize that about changing magazine tube extensions.

I figured for large blasting stages that it would be beneficial to have additional capacity but if you're starting in a car or other tight quarters, it would be nice to have maneuverability without such a large tube banging around. I'll make it a point to decide what to use before shooting starts and not change configuration mid-match.

Are there rules somewhere that cover this, or is this just the way it's always been?

Edited by Moltke

Unfortunately, no.

Our matches, run by the 3-Gun Nation club match head honcho, would have you DQ'ed right away. Everyone would be apologetic, but firm...."you're out. Hope you come again next month with no hard feelings." Those are 3GN Club Series rules. And that was the rule in our matches before he got that 3GN position. No tube size changes on a gun in competition.

Unless you shoot Open, I don't see much of a practical advantage across a match to being able to make such a change. Even in Open, our rule set doesn't allow tube-fed shotguns to vary tube capacity. In Open, I disagree with that since magazine ("box") fed shotguns get that capability by default. "Hmm, I'll take a pair of coupled 10 round magazines with bird shot and then shoot that slug target in the middle of the stage with a 5 rounder with only slugs." This is one of my reasons for going to the dark side of magazine fed shotguns, very soon.

I don't think you're giving up much, if anything by keeping it constant, by rule.

Edited by michael1778

The only advantage to being able to easily change capacity from say, 10 back to 8 would be if you want to use the same shotgun, but in different matches that have different rules.

Let's say you shoot SMM3G, you would want your 10+1 configuration as an example.

Then you go to another match that has an 8 rd tube capacity only. At that point, you would change out to your 8rd tube BEFORE the match.Since you have the Versamax Tactical, you would use the standard OEM tube.

That is how the Roulette Tactical end caps were born, to give the ability to change from 8 to 9 or 10 rds without having to disassemble your clamp/tube and potentially your point of impact..

Same thing with the Carbon Arms Versa Tube - the tube is 8 rds, then you can change out the assemblies on the end to increase capacity based on the match rules you are shooting under.

However, whatever configuration you begin the match with, is how you must finish.

Mick

The only advantage to being able to easily change capacity from say, 10 back to 8 would be if you want to use the same shotgun, but in different matches that have different rules.

Let's say you shoot SMM3G, you would want your 10+1 configuration as an example.

Then you go to another match that has an 8 rd tube capacity only. At that point, you would change out to your 8rd tube BEFORE the match.Since you have the Versamax Tactical, you would use the standard OEM tube.

That is how the Roulette Tactical end caps were born, to give the ability to change from 8 to 9 or 10 rds without having to disassemble your clamp/tube and potentially your point of impact..

Same thing with the Carbon Arms Versa Tube - the tube is 8 rds, then you can change out the assemblies on the end to increase capacity based on the match rules you are shooting under.

However, whatever configuration you begin the match with, is how you must finish.

Mick

Total agreement. I hope my comments didn't confuse on that matter. Configuring a shotgun before a match is a good concept. It's a good thing to have some capacity options at home, ready to go depending on the future situation.

Is not Blue Ridge the only 8 rounds max in the tube match left?

Task Force Dagger as well. I personally like having the different match rules. I use a 10 rd tube and always carry a plug that limits it to 8 rds. Set for everything.

Not to drift the thread but I personally think an all shotgun match (since it is all about the shotgun) should have tubes plugged at the 8 rd limit. What say you?

Task Force Dagger as well. I personally like having the different match rules. I use a 10 rd tube and always carry a plug that limits it to 8 rds. Set for everything.

Not to drift the thread but I personally think an all shotgun match (since it is all about the shotgun) should have tubes plugged at the 8 rd limit. What say you?

Kind of like the single stack classic but with shotguns

Edited by APL-G35

I think just you should have an 8 round limit.......wait, expand that to your kids as well :devil:

Recently I installed the Nordic extension on my Versamax Tactical shotgun to give it an total capacity of 12 + 1. Additionally I have in my range bag the parts to change it to a 10 + 1 capacity, or an 8 + 1 capacity if the need arises.

First question - I assume that changing capacity on a shotgun while at a match is no different than changing chokes and since you're using the same gun the whole time... it won't change your division/etc. Is that accurate?

Second question - Is there a reason to have an extension that holds an odd number of shells? Such as a 9 +1 or an 11 +1? If the new generally accepted loading method is either by 2's or 4's, then how does an odd numbered extension fit into the plan?

1. No

2. 9 round tube allow you to run 9 in the tube on an empty chamber start. But you're better off just getting a 10 or even better a 12.

I quit shooting matches that limit your shotgun to 8 rounds. It makes the stage strategy more restrictive which limits creativity.

NO...NO...NO!!! 8+1 to start then let 'er rip. IPSC has run that way for years and it works and it is more fun and as Jesse said allows for more creativity.

It really comes down to...does it improve the shooters experience? Running events is just like any other business. Happy customers are return customers.

Limiting capacities, or at least the talk of has yet to make more shooters MORE happy. Some maybe...more..I think not.

On the other hand...every match has its own flavor and as a business catering to the local shooters may work, unless you what that business to expand

outside of the local area.