Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

getting front sights out?

DrLove

Freezing the slide seems counterintuitive since that would cause the slide to shrink. Either way XD sights are extremely tough to remove without the tool. That's not to say they can't be taken out without one but most that do end up with a pretty beat up slide.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

If you happen to have an XD then it might be worth it to sent the slide to a smith. I had an XD9 Tactical that I removed sights from. Chucked the slide in a vise and used a heavy hammer and steel punches to beat the shit out of the sights. also tried to carefully cut out the sights with a cutting wheel in my trusty do it all Dremel. I'll never, EVER touch an XD's factory sights EVER again. It took me lots and lots of hours of pounding and swearing. I'm very surprised that I didn't damage the slide with all of that pounding lol. The sights must have been pressed in with some sort of hydraulic press or something. damn.

FWIW I really liked that XD aside from removing the ****ing sights haha

I dunno what that means lol not much torture. Also if you can't line up a front blade and a rear sight on a slide then someone's eyes are crooked as heck lmao

I think he is implying you are lucky, if you go over to xd talk you will see more than your fair share of hoar stories on this subject. Many more than success stories.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

• 3 weeks later...

An air hammer is what I use...I've cut the end of the drifting tool to match up to the sight base...you'll never get it out besides cutting it out any other way..two zaps with an air hammer and its done. You will need to replace the sight after this...LOL!! I would recommend properly fitting the next one and using red loctite.

-H.Owens

Edited by hammerhead1

I dropped mine off with a smith and was told to come back in a couple hours. When I went back, it was done...he also swore a little, said he had to machine the sight out and swore he'd never do another XD :)

• 2 weeks later...

I went through the same frustration trying to remove the front sight on my XDM 45,I was ready to send it to Dawson when I found about the Universal Hand Gun Sight tool sold by Fisher in San Diego.I bought the combo kit that has adapters for most pistols...about $85.00 including shipping!Great design and made swapping out my front sight for a Dawson.o1FO easy!It feels good to be able to do it yourself.Now I have a tool that should last a lifetime and an excuse to buy more pistols so that I can get my money's worth out of the sight tool!!

Edited by DFABOVE