Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone with open gun in 40?

DrLove

There was a very similar topic just posted a few days ago about this.

It seems the general consensus is that .40 doesn't hold any advantage over 9Major/38Super except it has many published Major loads and 9Major doesn't and 38Super has few. If you wanted to standardize on one caliber (for Open/Limited/etc.) and not reload many, that could be an advantage also.

Nothing says you cant run just big sticks. so 3 big sticks for a 40 open gun is plenty enough. Also you dont have to load anywhere near as hot to make major and work the comp as you do with 9/38.

Edited by WidowsSon683

Would I concider it? yes

If I was not into reloading and was set on shooting Major PF then a 40 would make sence. Will the gun work a comp as well as a 9/38? no Will it hold as many bullets? no So if you dont reload you have to decide whats more important capacity or power factor. another down side to 40 open is espesialy with factory ammo they dont work comps as well as th 9/38's do.

that said I have a 357sig open Glock, is it the best open gun? NO would having a nicer gun improve my scores? probably not enough to notice. Why would I build one? Because its fun, and thats what this is all about.

Mike

PS remember you can only buy so much performance, and that is not much, the rest is skill.

yeah I have considered it since I shoot 40 for USPSA< Steel, 3 gun, etc. It would be fun. All I see it giving up is some of the gas to work the comp and a few rounds (but not many). you can get a 140 to hold what, 23 9mm or 20/21 40S&W? I would be it's not a huge difference, just have to plan a reload or 2 extra a match. But bigger bullets = more likely to hit a good perf (I hear) and would be soft to shoot major.

Plus I already have a ton of 40 mags and a gun, etc. Just slap a red dot on and go nuts. I'm not here to win, I'm here to turn money into smoke and noise and a fun afternoon

I shot a Bedell Custom .40 open gun for a few years and I don't think it held me back at all. There were probably a few stages where I had to make a reload while someone shooting .38 Super or Super wouldn't have to, but all in all I really enjoyed it. The big advantage was going to a match and not worrying about my brass because it was so cheap and readily available. I could just concentrate on the stages. My SV big sticks held 24 and with one in the tube, most stages only required one mag change and there always seemed to be a convenient spot to do one.

I shoot a hybrid barreled STI in 40, and can use lead bullets that a club member casts at a great price. The gun is light, wears a bulletproofed Grams Docter on the slide, and fits in any holster. I like it, but to be fair, I shoot mostly steel, and don't have to worry about the recoil. I also have a Steelmaster that sits in the safe more than the 40!

I'd like to hear someone who has shot two similar pistols, one in 9mm and one in .40 describe the difference in feel???

I've shot both and I just didn't like the feel and muzzle jump of the .40. It wasn't extremely bad but I am biased toward the 9Major loads so I may not be the best source. I can tell you I wouldn't run a .40 Open.

However, like I was saying, if you only want to load up one caliber or you are just so conscience about published Major loads, then .40 is the way to go.

Forgot to "describe" the feel as you asked...the .40 felt like shooting an untuned (comp/powder/bullet combination) 9Major with heavy bullets.

Edited by gng4life

Forgot to "describe" the feel as you asked...the .40 felt like shooting an untuned (comp/powder/bullet combination) 9Major with heavy bullets.

Thanks, I know exactly what you're talking about because that's what I shoot right now!

I shoot a CZ Open gun of my own creation with a three port comp which was advertized as 9mm, but has exit holes which measure .4125" (obviously .40) and 135gr bullets over 7gr of HS6. I realize I need more gas, so I'm experimenting with lighter bullets and working on a better comp.

I have shot 40 in open way back late 90's, like it, lots of powder to choose from ,But my problem was on the bullet availiability, I found out that the 135 gr was ideal bullet for my set -up, unfortunately before I moved to North Am, we dont have so much alternative, so I save my 135gr. for level 3"s and use the 155gr. lead. on practicce and club shoots.

Hybrid Commander bbl with 3 holes,and 3 top ports/2 side comp, powder was Vhit,105

Now Im shooting major 9, the only plus side is brass availiability, I would say my open 40 before was lightter, shoots softer and flatter than my 9 currently. Even here in the North, 135 gr. 40sw bullet is not common and hard to come by unless you are willing to pay premuims.

For optimum open caliber, I would say the Super family is still on top.