Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" GP100 ok for USPSA revolver?

balmo

I was shooting production at my local uspsa match when 2 people at my squad were shooting revolvers. I was really amazed and said to myself I have to try that.

I have been interested in the ruger gp100 for quite some time now. I was wondering if the 6" will be alright shooting uspsa compared to the 4". To me, a 6" relover is just so awsome.

I was shooting production at my local uspsa match when 2 people at my squad were shooting revolvers. I was really amazed and said to myself I have to try that.

I have been interested in the ruger gp100 for quite some time now. I was wondering if the 6" will be alright shooting uspsa compared to the 4". To me, a 6" relover is just so awsome.

If you have a gp 100 now then that's what I would shoot. If you are looking for a new gun for USPSA then I would look for a 625 or a 627.

i'd second what toothguy says.

If you have a gp100, or really want one - go for it. But in my opinion there are better options if you are wanting to compete within uspsa ( the S&W 625 primarily / the 627 if they pass the 8 minor rule ) It's easy to make major with a 625 with 230 grain 45 acp, easy to load with moonclips, and a great shooter. also they have better trigger out of the box over rugers IMO. Though, any competition gun you will want to have a gunsmith work over the trigger.

the gp100 will need speed loaders, unless you send the cylinder off to get cut for moon clips, you'll probably be shooting minor 38 special loads, unless you really want to be shooting 357 magnum loads for an entire match ( ouch ! )

Read up on it a little more and make your best educated purchase for the division you wish to compete in. We love to have new wheelgun shooters.

as far as length... any will work, I've grown to like the longer barrels personally, I shot a 5" 625 for the past year in uspsa, now I just switched over to a 625 with a 6.5" barrel and really like it.

Edited by alecmc

Thought I'd jump in this thread with a question: what division(s) would the 6" GP100 be legal in?

I just bought a 6" SW 66 thinking to compete in Idpa Ssr, then read today 4" is the limit in Ssr.

The only other option in my safe is a 4" 24-3

Thankd

Didn't think any 6" were allowed in IDPA. In USPSA any Revolver is good in anything but Single Stack. In Revolver Division it just needs to be six shot, for now.

Of course all other Division requirements must be met. Optics/Comps only allowed in Open.

Balmo

Lots of good advice here. Tooth guy and Alecmc are spot on for USPSA.

bottom line for me is that shooting is a hobby. I do it because I enjoy it. I shoot revos and bottom feeders is all kinds of disciplines. I am ranked better in some sports than others. I really like revolvers so I shoot them more now. I am not worried about winning or even being competitive.

I have a GP100 that is unusually accurate. I use it to chase distinguished revolver points. It is fun to shoot because it shoots well. That said, the trigger leaves a lot to be desired and the mechanics of how rugers work really limit what can be done with them. Some magicians like Ron Power can get them close to a Smith & Wesson bit not easily.

If you want to be competitive in Revo you are better off with a Smith & Wesson simply because the actions can be made so much smoother and lighter. 625s dominate USPSA for now. 686s and 627s are also popular and useful for other sports too. I no longer shoot IDPA so the 4" barrel limit isn't a concern for me. I like longer revo barrels.

So if you have a GP100 shoot it and enjoy. Spend your money on hand loading equipment and practice ammunition. If you find your skill exceed the revolvers capabilities, good for you and by all means switch to a different platform. If joy, shoot the heck out of your GP100 because it is built like a tank and will last forever.

Shoot what you like and enjoy. Life is too short to do what other people think is right. Do what you like and have fun.

Last point. Go shoot all the matches and leagues you can. Other shooters will let you try their rigs and show you the tricks of the trade. It can be hard to get to matches, ESP if you have small children or work crazy hours. I think it is worth the time even if only one a month. You meet good people and learn a bunch.

Hope this helps in your decision.

-John

We have a guy here in Iowa who recently had his GP100 milled for moonclips by Tom Kilhoffer at TK Custom. You only send him the cylinder so you can use Priority Mail. Our guy has a 6 inch and enjoys himself. You can(maybe) buy .38 Special ammo and shoot minor. If you handload, use heavy bullets and push them just hard enough to make major. That GP100 will smooth out with lots of use.

Go for it!

Bob

IA203

Wilson Combat makes a spring kit for the GP-100. I use the 8# return spring and the 9# mainspring. A little polishing on the internals gave me a butter smooth 8# pull on my 4 and 6 inch GPs... and they will even light off CCI primers, although I use Federals. Some guys like a lighter pull, but I have managed to short stroke my GPs in competition a few times (invariably on disappearing targets...LoL) so I don't want to go lighter than 8#

I use the 6 inch in ICORE with 38 LC cases - the ejector stroke completely clears them from the gun. It's extremely accurate with Speer 158 LRN swaged bullets and Rainier 158 RN plated bullets (Clays powder). I've found the GP-100s to be noticably more accurate with lead bullets than the S&W guns.

The 6 inch is legal in Steel Challenge, ICORE, and USPSA -- not IDPA... 4.2 barrel is max there.

You'll have no problem making 125 Minor from the 6 inch - with pretty soft recoil.

Tune your 6 inch gun's trigger, shoot it, and I think you'll like it. Blade Tech will make a holster for it.

Edited by GOF

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I know a 6" revolver is legal in USPSA I might try my Model 14. Been shooting autos so i need to get some speed loaders other than the HKS's I presently have. Any guidance appreciated, direct me to the correct forum, need a kydex holster that I can use for the 6" Model 14 and my 4" Model 67 that I could use in IDPA. Model of speed loaders suggested too as well as qty. needed and brand.....Brands, models suggested etc.Also saw the Jerry Miculek smooth revolver grips and the newly announced checkered ones......Whats the pitch, for either afish4570

Now that I know a 6" revolver is legal in USPSA I might try my Model 14. Been shooting autos so i need to get some speed loaders other than the HKS's I presently have. Any guidance appreciated, direct me to the correct forum, need a kydex holster that I can use for the 6" Model 14 and my 4" Model 67 that I could use in IDPA. Model of speed loaders suggested too as well as qty. needed and brand.....Brands, models suggested etc.Also saw the Jerry Miculek smooth revolver grips and the newly announced checkered ones......Whats the pitch, for either afish4570

Any good K frame kydex will be fine. I have blade tech and comptac both work fine. Comptac is probably slightly better made.

Speed loaders. Get the Jet loaders and be happy. They are well worth the extra couple of dollars for each one. Google bubberizing to see a popular modification of speed loaders.

I have 8 of these and an equal number of Safariland comp 3s. Comp 3s rarely come out of the bag.

Grips. I use the cheap hogue monogrip. They are less than $20 so I don't mind taking the dremel to them till they fit. Second choice is the hogue big butt grips, but I don't think they give much advantage in the 38. They do help with the 45.

I do lot care for the Michulek smooth grip. Haven't tried the checkered ones and probably won't because I don't care for how they feel. Preference thing.

Run what ya got for now. Try other people's stuff when you can. To get better faster, dry fire and Spend money on practice ammo and match fees :)