Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open glock with conversion barrel?

cpa5oh

I was told, and then read on this forum, that running a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel in an open glock is not a good idea...anyone know why that is? (Kkm makes a threaded .40 to 9 conversion.)

I've got a 35 lying around that u could turn into an open gun, but .40 open isn't something I'm interested in (I don't think) and if I don't use this 35 as a starting point I'm gonna hold off building an open glock...

I don't see why not? I would assume that a 40/9 conversion barrel would be stronger than a native .40 or native 9mm barrel, as the barrel and chamber walls are thicker. I am planning to do the exact same thing to shoot 9mm major loads in a glock 35.

It's what I figured (thicker barrel = safer)...but sjc told me it wasn't a good idea and therefore they don't offer a "kit" and I read a post where a guy talked to jäger and they advised him against it too...

Is the warning about safety or about success in a match? Are they suggesting a Glock 34 (that's basically what you're talking about) isn't a good host for an Open gun? Or are they suggesting that running a conversion barrel hard isn't safe?

I've actually got the exact barrel and gun you're talking about. I compete in Limited-Major with my stock G35, and I keep the barrel (and G17 mags and recoil assembly) around for fun and prepping purposes.

the issue is not safety but reliability, some people have great luck with 9mm on a 40sw breach face others have extraction and ejection issues, starting with the correct breach face can lower the probablility of having those issues.

Mike

i thought there was a slight alignment issue (width of a 9mm vs 40 - extractor a little left of where it would be on a 34) with the conversion barrels and that it COULD POSSIBLY have feeding/extraction issues. maybe thats why some are recommending against it

I had put DP adjustable sites on my G35 in anticipation of potential POI issues. What I found in my case, is that the shift in POI was minimal. Fortunately I didn't need to change extractor, and haven't had any malfunctions. I've only shot factory ammo so far, so I have yet to check function with hotter handloads.

Thank you for the replies - larger breech face on the 35 posing a potential issue makes sense...I don't know why I didn't consider that at all.

Think ill buy a conversion barrel and see how it shoots then decide whether to build an open gun around it.

I have 2 open glock 22's with conversion barrels, you have to change the ejector( some guns will need an extended ejector) and lowering the ejection port to function. and I use 10 lb ismi springs.I think the big issue with the 35 conversion is weight of the slide and barrel(a lot of mass to move around), you have to use 9mm major loads to function, and the will not function reliably with minor loads. there is no safety issues with the breach face.

• 4 weeks later...

We build open, conversion barrel Glock 35 -34's (with the KKM Barrels) every day.

We have experienced few problems (all most all ammo related = Power factor) 8 -10 thousand rounds a week in preparation for the Steel Challenge Title defense took it's toll on a slide or two (yeah . . . surprised us too)

as long as your using a quality barrel, the comp and barrel are timed and installed correctly, The correct recoil set up, The correct extractor set up, a known and trusted ammunition

IN THE CORRECT POWER FACTOR FOR YOUR SET UP you will not have an issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just shooting my Glock 35 40sw to 9mm conversion yesterday, factory ammo. No misfires no ftf nothing shot perfect. Kkm barrel, 9mm ejector gen 4 9mm glock factory springs. So i say do it build it shoot it.

Do you mean a 9mm extractor? Or do you actually switch out the ejector? Do you switch out the whole trigger housing, or just the metal ejector out of the G35 OEM housing?

Edited by CHLChris

Glock 35 40sw trigger housing has to be changed out to a glock 34 9mm housing for the ejector. The extractor in the slide does not.

The difference is in the diameter of the cases.

Reason is the angle of the bend on the ejector has to be moved in for 9mm cases or else they wont eject and you thus have fte's

Do not ever use a 9mm ejector on 40sw as this ejector rod is bend in further and wiil come close to middle where the primer is.

You also need 9mm glock 34 recoil springs

I use the 40 to 9mm KKM barrel, which this is as close to a 9mm bull barrel as you can get using a Glock 35.

I shoot my Gen 4 35 with just the barrel changed to a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion. Same extractor and ejector and it works just fine. I only change out the Gen 4 recoil spring and put in a Gen 3 stainless rod and 13# spring. Never had a problem.

I was told that I needed to change parts out and I bought them(extractor and ejector) and tried it both ways and both work fine. I leave it set for .40 so it's easier to change over. I have the parts as spares for my 34.