Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poppers in front of targets

At a recent match we had 3 poppers in front of 3 targets with the edges almost touching at about 10 yards with the poppers obscuring the middle bottom half of the target. From what I recall all the shooters in my squad shot all the steel first and then came back and shot the paper. It didn't ask at the time but I assume it was because they were concerned they would hit the steel again as it fell if they tried to shoot each paper straight after each steel and rather than wait for the steel to drop and clear the target they moved onto the next popper. How would you shoot it and why?

yeah it depends what else is around and how much of the target was covered. I may have gone steel then up to the paper if I could shoot at the upper level of the lower A zone. also depends if it's a forward or rear falling steel.

Hard to say with out being there but most likely I would shoot the steel a first then the papers after the steel fell. it would probably feel smoother to shoot all the way across than go back and get the paper that going up and down between paper and steel.

They were forward falling poppers (not pepper poppers) and classic targets. I did some dry fire on this tonight and for me it was quicker to shoot a popper then the paper behind it before moving onto the next steel.

They were forward falling poppers (not pepper poppers) and classic targets. I did some dry fire on this tonight and for me it was quicker to shoot a popper then the paper behind it before moving onto the next steel.

Uhh, if you actually did "dry fire" and not a live practice round on this, then your results are probably invalid.

It's going to take some time (probably about .5 seconds) for the popper to fall (unless you double tap it) and clear the A zone completely. Your points may not have been great, unless you hit the popper right at the top of the head and then followed it with a double tap on the paper--then you risk not knocking over the popper (with an edge shot or with a heavily-set popper and a head shot).

It would have been interesting to shoot this one--I imagine most of the minor PF guys would take the steel, then the paper. Major PF guys may have done what you did.

I would have probably shot paper, paper, paper followed by the 3 steel. Any steel already down while taking the steel gets an extra shot at the paper to make up the miss. That way I do not need to wait for the steel to fall.

They were forward falling poppers (not pepper poppers) ........

It's going to take some time (probably about .5 seconds) for the popper to fall (unless you double tap it) .

"Double tap" not gonna help you out. Forward fallers..

Missed that

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We had one similar to this, but at a closer distance. There was about 1/3 of A zone on a classic target above the head of the popper (also forward falling). I shot it all steel then the paper, but in retrospect, at that distance I probably could've gone steel/paper/steel... down the line and gotten A's but it would've taken a bit more aiming for the paper rather than having the full A zone exposed. This might be one of those arrays that I try out on two stage designs and shoot them differently to see which one is quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

If you shoot major it's okay to get some C zone hits if you can shave seconds off because it's all about hit factor. I usually shoot steel first on a longer course so if it doesn't fall I notice before I take off. The jury is out on this array. I'd love to try it.