Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What type of tape to cover your dominate eye

kmaultsby

I am cross dominate right-handed left eye dominate. I posted this problem a few months ago and it was suggested to try this. My question is what type of tape to use to cover my shooting glass. I still want to see a little out of my left eye both eyes open. :mellow:

Same here, right handed/left eye dominant. I also used scotch tape or a little vasiline to blur the vision.

Actually, I went through a spell doing that to try and stop using my left eye but it didn't really work for me. Once I embraced that I was going to shoot pistol with my left eye I totally have forgotten about it and it isn't a problem. Ironically, on occasion I have found myself using my right eye without realizing it...usually when doing a long reach around a right side barricade with a target way off to the left. But that isn't something I can really do on command. I have no problem using my right eye for shotgun (skeet/clays) and rifle.

Edited by Bamboo

Left handed and right eye dominant. Clear scotch tape across the top half of my shooting glasses. I only want to blur my vision from the target, when I reload I want to be able to see and not lose any of my peripheral vision.

Left handed and right eye dominant. Clear scotch tape across the top half of my shooting glasses. I only want to blur my vision from the target, when I reload I want to be able to see and not lose any of my peripheral vision.

This ^^

I am cross dominate right-handed left eye dominate. I posted this problem a few months ago and it was suggested to try this. My question is what type of tape to use to cover my shooting glass. I still want to see a little out of my left eye both eyes open. :mellow:

Can you train yourself to shoot with your left eye only, or is your right eye strong enough that it causes a problem when shooting with both eyes open? You've probably answered the question since your asking about tape, but I'm wondering if you've tried it.

I'm also right handed but left eye dominant. When I 1st started shooting I ran into a problem with double vision when trying to focus on the front sight, but over time I learned to turn my head slightly and bring the gun slightly more to the left. I kind of meet the gun half way in the middle, so to speak.

Maybe you're not able to do that? I know it's hard to understand someone else's point of view sometimes unless your looking at things through their eyes, but from a practical shooting point of view I would try to avoid using the tape, if at all possible. Most likely you won't have tape on your glasses if, God forbid, you have to engage a threat or draw down on someone outside of a range.

Same here, right handed/left eye dominant. I also used scotch tape or a little vasiline to blur the vision.

Actually, I went through a spell doing that to try and stop using my left eye but it didn't really work for me. Once I embraced that I was going to shoot pistol with my left eye I totally have forgotten about it and it isn't a problem. Ironically, on occasion I have found myself using my right eye without realizing it...usually when doing a long reach around a right side barricade with a target way off to the left. But that isn't something I can really do on command. I have no problem using my right eye for shotgun (skeet/clays) and rifle.

That's happened to me a few times, too; hard lean to the right and shooting around a barricade. I found it to be bizarre, since I never practice shooting using my right eye only. Like you said, if I had intended to shoot with the right eye, it wouldn't have worked.

This topic has gotten me to thinking about practicing shooting with the right eye. You never know when it might come in handy. I could get punched in the left eye or blood gets in the eye, and not have a choice but to use the right eye. It's kind of like the importance of practicing weak and strong hand shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want the tape covering my eye all day while walking around the range. I came up with a solution. I bought a pair of "old people" clip on sunglasses and pulled the lenses off the clip I then took a plastic lense out of a pair of safety glasses. I scuffed the lense with sandpaper and drilled holes to match the clip and used epoxy to attach it to the clip. Then I can clip it on my glasses and raise the lense when not shooting. This keeps my head from hurting at the end of the day.

I didn't want the tape covering my eye all day while walking around the range. I came up with a solution. I bought a pair of "old people" clip on sunglasses and pulled the lenses off the clip I then took a plastic lense out of a pair of safety glasses. I scuffed the lense with sandpaper and drilled holes to match the clip and used epoxy to attach it to the clip. Then I can clip it on my glasses and raise the lense when not shooting. This keeps my head from hurting at the end of the day.

I use two pair of glasses. My prescription shooting glasses have the right eye taped. I also keep a pair of shooting glasses on my head. I just switch out glasses when its my turn to shoot. I agree, I couldn't wall around and SO all day with my eye taped!

You could use a flip-up occluder like the B-E shooters. They come in white or black. Works like a dream.

If you have prescription glasses,it makes it easier to read,load mags,etc.

The occluder look good, but I only want to cover part of the lens. I don't want to cover the entire eye. with the entire eye covered you lose peripheral vision and when I look down to reload, I want to see reload with both eyes.

My wife has to use tape when shooting limited. She uses a very small piece of clear tape. I help her apply it while she is in her shooting stance looking down the sights. The peice is just big enough to blur the sights (as seen from her non-dominate eye) and lets her move and perform reloads with both eyes. However, this make her feel dorky, so she bought an Open gun.

20% Visible light transmission. Available at Auto Zone or Walmart. About ten bucks.

This gives a decent idea of where your aiming point is while shooting on the move.

I'd like to try this. Does the tape come off easily?

It's automotive window shade. Goes on with soapy water (use dishwashing soap or the manufacturer's spray) and comes off with running water. Trim to size/shape you want, get 2 pieces of clear tape to separate the film from it's clear backer, add soapy water, place on lens, wait a few minutes & you're good to go. I tried the 35% transmission but it let my left eye (which is now my clearer, but non-dominant eye) see too much, led to match mistakes, went back to the 20%. Helps you place your sights on the correct spot on a target that just appeared and is just about to disappear, as you move & shoot quickly thru a stage with a lot of props.

Edited by eric nielsen