Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pics of Steel Rimfire Rifles Out There? Share 'Em!

jkrispies

At my Steel Challenge club, it seems like the biggest growing category is Rimfire Rifle, Optics. Here's mine-- curious what others are using? (Have yet to see a custom iron-sighted 10/22 but think it might be cool!)

Mods include:

Boyds Evolution SS Stock

18" KIDD Midweight Barrel

KIDD trigger job kit

KIDD Cocking Assembly and Springs

KIDD picatinny rail

Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot

post-6651-0-71907900-1374717907_thumb.jp

post-6651-0-91661900-1374718037_thumb.jp

Edited by jkrispies

• 1 month later...

post-18971-0-66751800-1377958985_thumb.jpost-18971-0-80763800-1377958996_thumb.jAttached are pictures of my open rifle.

Open rifle has: Taccom aluminum tensioned barrel.

Nordic/DPMS receiver

Lower has AR Gold trigger and is my match rifle lower.

Ace butt stock foam on barrel to get hand position reference

Excellent setup for limited is 10/22 with fiber optic front sight and remove the small adjustable blade from the rear sight. Put a good trigger of your choice under it and use the factory standard barrel. Use the sights like shooting express sight, put front sight down in center of rear sight. This setup is fast and reliable! Rifles setup in this way took 1st and 4th place at the 2013 Ruger World Championship in limited division.

Mine is build with a CMMG barrel and bolt. I like one that is similar in feel to a regular AR and still light but not one of those air light guns. Building one was basically my only option as the SW didn't have what I was after which was Fixed A2 stock, Freefloat rifle length Tube style handguard as I like to get my hand out there farther and didn't want a rail and ALuminum receiver.

post-14119-0-77698300-1377960581_thumb.j

At my local club it seems like 99% of people use the S&W M&P 15-22 for rimfire rifle. I'm always surprised that I don't see more 10/22s. I don't shoot rifles in Steel Challenge so don't have any pics to share.

Funny, but despite the recent popularity of rimfire rifle you don't see any "AR-type" guns at my club... but then I live in Kalifornia with it's inane anti-gun laws, which probably has a lot to do with that.

Believe it or not, the Boyd's Evolution SS gunstock pictured above is ergonomically very close to my AR after I put a 1/2" butt spacer in it. If you lay them atop each other, the cheekweld/sight height is a bit off, but that's about it. I have to do a high hold on the fore end by lightly wrapping my thumb over the barrel near its base (which I'd do anyway) but once in firing position they feel not quite identical but close enough.

Hey Sousa but does it run......Sousa is really fast with it...but not quite fast enough for some old target maker....See ya this Sunday with my new one.......

Watch out. I learned a long time ago from Bearcave not to poke the sleeping bear.

Have fun Sunday guys.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Stearns

At my local club it seems like 99% of people use the S&W M&P 15-22 for rimfire rifle. I'm always surprised that I don't see more 10/22s. I don't shoot rifles in Steel Challenge so don't have any pics to share.

Funny, but despite the recent popularity of rimfire rifle you don't see any "AR-type" guns at my club... but then I live in Kalifornia with it's inane anti-gun laws, which probably has a lot to do with that.

Believe it or not, the Boyd's Evolution SS gunstock pictured above is ergonomically very close to my AR after I put a 1/2" butt spacer in it. If you lay them atop each other, the cheekweld/sight height is a bit off, but that's about it. I have to do a high hold on the fore end by lightly wrapping my thumb over the barrel near its base (which I'd do anyway) but once in firing position they feel not quite identical but close enough.

Wow, at my club just about everyone is using the AR platform. we do have a couple of guys using 10/22.

Hey Sousa but does it run......Sousa is really fast with it...but not quite fast enough for some old target maker....See ya this Sunday with my new one.......

Oh great!!! Whatcha bringing???

It's a better mousetrap.....Just a slightly different version of a 10-22, You might like it. It's a bit lighter than yours...not sure yet if i like this setup, it may go thru future modifications....LOL Look for the axiom stock online, Thats what I used. with some minor tweaks. To bad I can't yet shoot as fast as you and Karl.

• 5 weeks later...

Here's my Walther HK416D in .22LR that I use for steel matches with a cheap (though effective) UTG red-dot. I know this particular model gets little love (and there are some glaring deficiencies, e.g. faux bolt release, dedicated trigger pack and horribly heavy initial trigger pull), but IMHO its a great little rifle. It is heavy (close to a real AR in weight) and has great ergonomics. Best of all it just runs - and runs - and runs. I didn't clean it for the first 1,000 rounds over 4-5 months and it never missed a beat even after trying 6 different brands and 3 different weights of bullet. Plus, it is extremely accurate. I tore it completely down for cleaning at around 1,100 rounds fired - quite a task. Put it back together and reshot - site only off 1/4" left at 25 yards. It has never jammed, never failed to feed or extract, never had a light strike - nothing. Bill Springfield offers a trigger job on the trigger pack for $49 - brings it down substantially.

I see many 10/22s and several M&P22s at our steel matches. The M&Ps usually run fine, but there is ALWAYS a moment in each match where every 10/22 guy is dealing with a jam.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22582304@N00/10272825054/

Edited by KY1911

The M&Ps usually run fine, but there is ALWAYS a moment in each match where every 10/22 guy is dealing with a jam.

Are the guys at your range using aftermarket magazines? I bet if you find one guy shooting stock 10 round Ruger rotary mags, his 10/22 would run like the Energizer bunny.

(Okay, two caveats-- after I installed my KIDD barrel, I had a couple failures to extract until I swapped over to a KIDD extractor, as KIDD recommends. Since then, I've never had a "failure to anything." Once upon a time, I did have two FTF's because I shot 1000+ rounds of dirty ammo and didn't clean the gun properly, thus causing the bolt to not go into battery due to the amount of carbon buildup that I subsequently found upon pulling it apart. Both of these I'm chalking up to operator error!!!)

Are the guys at your range using aftermarket magazines? I bet if you find one guy shooting stock 10 round Ruger rotary mags, his 10/22 would run like the Energizer bunny.

That's what I use and almost never have a failure of any sort. If I do, it's usually just dirty but that takes a while. The 10 Rnd rotary is the way to go...

Edited by gng4life

• 3 weeks later...

I have ran my 10/22 "Liberty Training Rifle" a few times and had a blast. People say stuff like "you do pretty good with those iron sights" and stuff. Mine has a 20" factory Ruger Barrel and stock. Tech-Sights front & rear, Power Custom trigger job & light-extended charging handle. Pretty stock other than that. The only thing I really want is some checkering on the stock, it is completely smooth. I may add some skateboard tape or something someday. I shot .22 pistol & rifle a couple of weeks ago here locally. $15 for one gun and $5 for the additional. And even doubling up on the ammo I was still got out cheaper for the match than anybody shooting centerfire! And NOBODY had more fun!