Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

online SO test.

sk330lc

I think IDPA has discovered that the re-certification procedures they used did not meet with the approval of a significant percentage of the 'volunteers SOs' who actually make the sport function, and that a number of them decided to 'unvolunteer' and just return to being a competitor.

I think they lost a fair number of veteran SOs and extending the testing period over their rather dictatorial initial time frame was an attempt to lure some back in. Only time will tell that was successful or not.

Re-certification is an excellent idea. I think it was just poorly implemented.

Agree 100% with your post and the final comment is spot-on!

I have already seen a drop off of available SOs at our local matches. Just this past Saturday, two in the squad I was running and whom I could always count on to help, told me that they wouldn't be SOs come 1 Oct. The most telling comment was from the younger of the two who said that he became a SO to understand how to be a better shooter...., and not to become a "plate umpire."

Very Telling...., caused to me to recall the debates going on in the late 90s about standing up certification for those of us conducting IDPA matches. I remember one key discussion about using the term "Safety" over "Range" officer. Since many of us shooting and running IDPA had a Police or Military background, we understood the differences in those two words. A Safety Officer has a Direct & Total Focus on the safety of the participants while a Range Officer is in change and controls the operations of the event.

Perhaps it was a simple way of thinking, but to me it was clear early on in IDPA that the SO's main focus was the firearm and the shooter connected to it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

If you are currently an S.O., and passed the new recertification test, how long will it remain valid if you don't renew your dues?

And if you remain a member, do you ever have to retest?

That's a question you'd have to ask HQ. Based on the way things are going now, you would probably have to retake the class if you let your membership lapse, but again, a question for HQ.

Hope not. Didn't read that anywhere. If it is true, everyone should have been warned a long time ago because that has never been a rule.

And where is our paper rulebook that was due Oct. 1st??

IDPA is going to lose lots of S.O.s with the changes. We already have people running monthly squads who have never had the class and have their own version of the rulebook in their heads.

Edited by JD45

According to IDPA HQ, there will be no printed rule book. If that's the case, I'm not sure what our dues are paying for? Some have said that our dues may pay for airplane fuel. I don't think this is the case.

According to IDPA HQ, there will be no printed rule book. If that's the case, I'm not sure what our dues are paying for? Some have said that our dues may pay for airplane fuel. I don't think this is the case.

Huh?? No rulebook????

What in the hell is happening? And they are still gonna ask for $40?

I believe that the reason they aren't going to release a rulebook is because, if in a year they want to change something, they can, without having to remake/reprint the current rules. Not only that, but most people have access to the internet now as well. As an SO, I have the rules printed out and put them in a binder, that I'm going to start bringing with me to matches to ensure we follow the rules to the best of our abilities.

I just called IDPA. Your recertification last for 2 years, unpaid or paid membership.

I asked about the rulebook and was told that it is at the printers. I said, "do you know when it will be mailed?", and got "no sir", "we will send out an email when it is ready".

Unbelievable.

Well,

Here it is in a nut shell.

I have been shooting and setting up IDPA since 1996 in Texas. With the new rulebook and testing guide lines. I will only renew my membership. I will let my SO certs lapse. I understand that all the Tiger Teams are doing is muddy up the murky waters more.

I will shoot, help paste, set steel, but let the younger crowd run the matches.

Mike Merkler

A03930

• 2 months later...

IDPA seems to be demanding much from the "volunteers SOs" that actually make the sport work so Berryville can cash the annual membership checks... yet those "volunteers" still pay the same membership dues as everyone else... while getting more and more workload heaped upon them.

I'm not surprised that some (and I'm one of them) decided to 'unvolunteer as SO' and just become a 'competitor' again.

Interestingly, I seem to remember a new rule in the RB that says non-members can shoot matches, but will accept a 20 second FTDR penalty. For those who just regard a IDPA match to be trigger time... and have no interest is shooting sanctioned matches, or even being classified... it's a nice option.

If you want to track your progress against the field... just subtract the 20 second FTDR, and you're there. Nice way to save $40, for which you get little, and maybe apply it to ICORE, USPSA or Steel Challenge. Makes budgeting simplier.

• 5 months later...

Sorry, but you're way too late for that. If you didn't renew last year by their required due date (I think it was October? I could be wrong) then you have to take an in person SO class to get recertified.

Why would anyone who decided not to go through that program the first time around want to go through a more lengthy and involved program the second time around? If you have been a SO your, and now only SO at the club level, you don't have to be a Certified SO to run a squad at a club. If veteran SOs said "the heck with it" then.... why jump through more hoops now. Unless, of course, they have suddenly decided that they want to spend extra time, days, work effort and money... without meaningful compensation... to SO at an upper tier match. If their ego is that big, fine, go for it. If not, just keep having fun at the club level... without all the Berryville bureaucratic computer hassle.