Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ID, self image, and personal reality

benos

I think it is interesting, and funny in a way, that the acronym for internal dialogue is ID (identity).

It's not uncommon to be all too familiar with the end, but not know the beginning.

The "end," our personal reality, is the result of an observeable chain of events.

Personal reality is the outward manifestation of the self image, which is the creation of our internal dialogue (ID).

Therefore our self talk must change if we want to change.

be

"Id, ego and super-ego are the three parts of the psychic apparatus defined in Sigmund Freud's structural model of the psyche; they are the three theoretical constructs in terms of whose activity and interaction mental life is described. According to this model of the psyche, the id is the set of uncoordinated instinctual trends; the super-ego plays the critical and moralizing role; and the ego is the organized, realistic part that mediates between the desires of the id and the super-ego.[1]The super-ego can stop you from doing certain things that your id may want you to do."

According to this the ID is uncoordinated and instintictual. If we want to change i would think that working on ego would be more productive. If you refer to ID as our internal chatter where we continually reinforce our self images, then I can see that a change in internal evaluation and critique can lead to outward change. Is that good? GIGO.

From With Winning In Mind by Lanny Bassham

To change the Self-Image, you must:

Be willing to change.

Identify the habits and attitudes you need to change.

Set up a new Self-Image in conflict with the old one.

Exchange the old Self-Image with the new one.

The most powerful tool for doing this is the Direct Affirmation.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/reviews.html#winning

Edited by toothguy

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Zen... I'm still trying to understand it better so I can apply it. I do see how it is an important part of shooting.

Awesome site! Anything you want to know about shooting and more can be found here! This is my 50th post.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Arguably, the only reality that one knows and is therefore of relevance is the one that one perceive. However the reality that one perceives is not necessarily the only one that exists.

The perception of any given reality has to dependent on more than just internal factors of self image and contagiousness. There has to be an external stimulus that we are to respond to and react upon. That external stimulus does not however have to be from a "real" object/being (could be a Brain in Vat scenario).

Furthermore, there exists realities that we cannot perceive due to the limitations of our senses. For example, we are three dimensional creatures that view the world in two dimensions. Any dimension above the third is imperceptible to our facilities.