Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHEW! Close Call?

Reshoot

I discovered this piece of brass, during my post-tumbling inspection. The round would have been fired , here at home, sometime last week.

That Taurus 24/7, that blew apart in my hands several years ago, is now fresh in my mind again :eatdrink:

post-23750-0-62007900-1374068948_thumb.j

does anyone think the brass quality is poor or maybe excessive pressure?

Looks like a well used piece of brass. I have 8 to 10 K on hand so they get cycled through the press slowly. It would take me about 50 to 60 K rounds before I would worry about the same piece coming through 7+ times. The greater likelihood is I will lose it before then. This piece looks like it has been reloaded many times and the two weakest areas are the mouth which tends to split lengthwise,(the most common one I see) and the area just above the web/extractor groove which cracks at the groove.

Brass is much like a bell, when it is formed into a quality case it has a light ring to it. When it cracks it turns into a dull thud.

Part of my work involves chimes like the wind chimes you see people hang up just bigger. When whole they have a great ring, even a small crack will create a dull thunk when struck.

One thing I am confident of, there was no apparent sign anything was wrong with this piece of brass, when I loaded it. Ever since that Taurus came apart in my hands, I have inspected each piece of brass as it comes out of the tumbler. Then, I inspect again after the round it loaded.

Has this piece of brass been fired too many times? Well, one too many times for sure!

When I first started competing, I marked all my brass and tried to recover it. But then, it was all new brass at that time. I drifted away from that but, now find myself reevaluating. After all, I feel just plain lucky this round did not blow my gun apart.

What would you do in my position? Seriously, I'm asking!

Here's the load, BTW:

Bullet: 155 gr. MG FMJ FN

Powder: 6.6 gr. AutoComp

Primer: CCI 400

PF: 169

I like to rattle the brass around a bit, pouring back and forth from one hand to the other. Cracked brass will generally give off a different and distinct sound.

Hmm, that's good to know!

I like to rattle the brass around a bit, pouring back and forth from one hand to the other. Cracked brass will generally give off a different and distinct sound.

This. I also find it is much easier to hear than to spot. When I'm collecting my spent brass at the range I always collect a half dozen pieces or so and shake them around in my hand before dumping them into my brass bag.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I am confident of, there was no apparent sign anything was wrong with this piece of brass, when I loaded it. Ever since that Taurus came apart in my hands, I have inspected each piece of brass as it comes out of the tumbler. Then, I inspect again after the round it loaded.

Has this piece of brass been fired too many times? Well, one too many times for sure!

When I first started competing, I marked all my brass and tried to recover it. But then, it was all new brass at that time. I drifted away from that but, now find myself reevaluating. After all, I feel just plain lucky this round did not blow my gun apart.

Here's the load, BTW:

OAL? (Just curious have been considering building an AC load for .40)

-424D57

Here's the load, BTW:

OAL? (Just curious have been considering building an AC load for .40)

-424D57

I load to 1.118"

Edited by Reshoot

Powder would ignite, hot gasses would escape very rapidly through breech in brass, mag would blow out through bottom, hot gasses would blow through every opening, shooter would crap their pants and everyone around you would be unhappy...

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what would outcome be if this had been fired. More specific than kaboom:)

In the case of My Taurus, it blew the magazine out of the mag well . . . magazine parts and bullets scattered as far as 8 feet. Parts of the frame, on the right side, blew out but did not break my skin (polymer frame). I could not feel my hands for 15 minutes, and did end up with bruises. Left side of the frame was cracked down to the trigger guard.

This happened here at home, with son-in-law recording. I dropped the gun but then, I could not feel the gun in my hands anyhow. I have video and pictures somewhere. I still have that piece of brass, and as best we could determine, it was the cause.

I hope to never have another such experience! But, when I found that piece off brass, I posted here, I realized it cold have been the same result.

Oh, when I called Taurus and explained what happened they told me to send the gun to then, and they would take a look at it. Four weeks later it was returned, completely rebuilt at no cost to me. I believe the gun was 4 ~ 5 years of at the time.