Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing the Francis Hammer

sbcman

IDPA's new rule on actions not being able to cycle with the cylinder open coincided with my need of another 625. I quickly found a JM model and sent it off to my revosmith, Paul Francis (Bosshoss on this forum). After discussing ways to bring the revolver into compliance, one of his ideas stuck in my mind- a skeletonized 625 hammer. I couldn't get the picture out of my head, so I told him to go for it.

Received a call today that the revolver was ready. I could be mistaken, but I think Paul said that half the weight of the original hammer was gone. Initially, I considered that there might not be enough mass on the revolver for it to do its work. So, we jotted out to the backyard range and put a dozen rounds down. There was 2 failures to fire. Went back to the shop and beefed the mainspring, taking if from 5 and 3/4lb to 6lb (not noticeable by me). Put another 60 rounds through at his place and 40 rounds through at mine and it's been 100% reliable.

The one thing we both are wondering about is if the hammer could break. It might, but I ain't skeered B)

Paul said this was an extremely time consuming hammer to make. But MAN does it look COOL!

010_zpse2deaa68.jpg

011_zpsdfea227a.jpg

014_zps029c8b2e.jpg

013_zps43a2da00.jpg

Strange that you had to increase mainspring tension. Normally taking about half the weight off a stock hammer will enhance ignition reliability.

I've seen a few other hammers cut this way--in the past it was a cosmetic thing, because the shooter didn't want to see down into the action of the gun. Looks like a good solution for the IDPA BS.

damn cool! How long did you sit there with the dremel Paul?

Alec I only use a dremel for polishing things. I use a die grinder and burrs for this. Only about 20 minutes for removing metal. Probably about that long in laying it out so everything matched up. A little over an hour blending, contouring, removing grinder and sander marks and polishing things up.

I have done a couple of hammers that went into 627 guns that the owners use in production class and left the spur on and the lock functioning but they are cleared out the same way. They are not as light as this but way lighter than a full hammer.

Edited by Bosshoss

Strange that you had to increase mainspring tension. Normally taking about half the weight off a stock hammer will enhance ignition reliability.

I've seen a few other hammers cut this way--in the past it was a cosmetic thing, because the shooter didn't want to see down into the action of the gun. Looks like a good solution for the IDPA BS.

Mike the gun was new and a new build. The OP likes a heavier rebound spring than most so it could go lighter. I set it up where I thought it would set them off and he brought some of his reloads to test the gun with and it just needed a little tweeking.

I thought about calling the hammer SRH (stupid rule hammer) :devil:

Put the gun through some paces today at a local IDPA match. Had one FTF, but that seems to happen everytime I want a seventh shot on a six shot gun:)

Thanks for those pics Paul and putting the weight out there. Very good job, as always.

Pretty much the same thing I did to my 686 and 625 when I got them a few months ago. I figured without know what the new rules would bring it is always easier to remove metal than add it back on. Though this one shows extra places I can go back and do a little more removal. Mine is running at about 6.5#'s right now, but I think an Apex firing pin might help me drop another pound or so.

Beautiful work.

My concern would be when the ham-handed SO (who just learned everything he knows about revolvers from Youtube yesterday) pushes on your cylinder latch and busts the (now thin) strut that restrains the bolt. It is easy to underestimate thier enthusiasm as many have learned.

You might want to leave enough metal so that the work is not visible with the side plate on when the action is cycled - you can easily see material has been removed in your photo. Those types of conversations with SOs at the "safety check" are best avoided in my experience.

Here's the rule you will most like have to discuss (I added the color):

8.2.5.2.2. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained (smoothing the trigger face, removing the hammer spur, use of over travel stop, conversion to DA only and addition of ball detent are considered action work and are permitted).

Beyond removal of the spur, the removal of the remaining hammer material is not on the "inclusive" list of action work. It's absence on the "non-inclusive list" of excluded modifications has not been an effective defense in my experience.

I don't agree with it, but I am just offering another perspective. I would not be shocked if the interpretation is not in your favor should you have the conversation. Again, it is easy to underestimate thier enthusiasm.

Good Luck.

Edited by Bones

Thanks Craig. These things have crossed my mind and I have a peace about it. I don't like to write what I'm about to write because it just comes off petty, but if such a thing occurs, that will be all for my IDPA revo journey and I'm OK with it.

I hear some IDPA revo shooters enjoy CDP, so I'll have somewhere to play. :goof:

Craig:

The remaining hammer removal would be considered internal and not visible.

The above hammer is a work of art but there should be a bit more of the hammer remaining so that you can't see daylight under the hammer.

Sometimes I make myself laugh. I just envisioned myself in line at the equip check with another revo shooter with a Carmonized hammer. I get DQ'ed for light showing through while the other guy walks with a hammer literally cut in half! LOL

In our sport, anything can happen :roflol:

• 6 months later...