Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the deal with federal primer stock & production?

alecmc

Anybody up to date on what's going on with federal primer production? I've had primers on back order for over 6 months now , starting to get pretty low on my stash and getting concerned.

Any date on when they will start manufacturing reloading components again?

Damn! I shot beer out of my nose!!!!

Some companies are claiming 2+ years of production back logs

Of their products.

DK if this is Federals issue......someone here should know

Damn! I shot beer out of my nose!!!!

Some companies are claiming 2+ years of production back logs

Of their products.

DK if this is Federals issue......someone here should know

2 years ?

Oye vey

Third Generation Shooting Supply has the SPP in stock.

Just bought 5k that I didn't need. Thanks.... Never heard of them, just hope they're legit. Still, it irks me to pay $42/k with hazmat and shipping. I miss the old world.

Third Generation Shooting Supply has the SPP in stock.

Just bought 5k that I didn't need. Thanks.... Never heard of them, just hope they're legit. Still, it irks me to pay $42/k with hazmat and shipping. I miss the old world.

You are welcome. I got the 411 from someone else and they have been reliable in the past.

I have over `150K on backorder. I had 50K ordered through one large retailer and I got a call last week. I ended up with 25K of Fed small pistol and was grateful.

I spoke to one of the Federal reps at Bianchi and he told me that as of then (MAY) they had between 100-120 semis leaving the factory everyday loaded to the gills.

We are still buying everything they make right now......The end is not in sight either.....

DougC

I call BS on the 120 trailers leaving the plant every day. I work for Costco and we have a pretty big fleet of traliers. Our distribution center moves an insane amount of freight. If federal was working 24 hours a day that would mean 5 trailers an hour. Approx 20 pallets per truck if they are single stacked, more if some are doubled. I think he gave you the typical salesman bs.

Then I guess the Winchester rep standing next to him telling me that they are loading 700,000 round of rifle and 1 million pistol rounds a day was lying as well. I guess all the other factory people that I know that are telling me that they are making more product than ever before and it is flying out of the plants must be lying as well. I imagine the info last week about Hornady adding more production capability is BS as well....

All I can tell you is that they are making as much as they can, and we are buying it as fast as we can.....

DougC

Oh I agree they are definatly running at full capacity. But 120 trailers just doesnt sound right to me. I watched an episode of one of those "how its made" shows. Cci pumps out 16 pallets a day of 22 ammo. That could all fit on a single tractor trailer with space for 4 more pallets. Iirc the 16 pallets equals 4 million rounds.

Maybe they are a bit overzealous. I dont think they are purposly lying but someone doesnt have their facts straight. 120 trailers of ammo a day would have the ammo shortage stopped quickly in my opinion.

Oh I agree they are definatly running at full capacity. But 120 trailers just doesnt sound right to me. I watched an episode of one of those "how its made" shows. Cci pumps out 16 pallets a day of 22 ammo. That could all fit on a single tractor trailer with space for 4 more pallets. Iirc the 16 pallets equals 4 million rounds.

Maybe they are a bit overzealous. I dont think they are purposly lying but someone doesnt have their facts straight. 120 trailers of ammo a day would have the ammo shortage stopped quickly in my opinion.

It would stop the shortage, yes....but you guys don't know where it's going. I have a standing order of 120 truckloads a day delivered to my hidey hole out in the desert.....;)

I call BS on the 120 trailers leaving the plant every day. I work for Costco and we have a pretty big fleet of traliers. Our distribution center moves an insane amount of freight. If federal was working 24 hours a day that would mean 5 trailers an hour. Approx 20 pallets per truck if they are single stacked, more if some are doubled. I think he gave you the typical salesman bs.

Are you saying that Federal who loads everything from 22lr to who knows and components as well, this is shot shell, cartridge etc. is only sending 5 trailers per hour? Seems like you are making assumptions in calling BS on this. You might be surprised at the amount of logistics required to move what Federal produces. We are talking primers, but Mr. Carden did not say that the rep was only referencing primers. Just that they were loading 100-120 trailers with product. This doesn't have to be their fleet does it?

Then I guess the Winchester rep standing next to him telling me that they are loading 700,000 round of rifle and 1 million pistol rounds a day was lying as well. I guess all the other factory people that I know that are telling me that they are making more product than ever before and it is flying out of the plants must be lying as well. I imagine the info last week about Hornady adding more production capability is BS as well....

All I can tell you is that they are making as much as they can, and we are buying it as fast as we can.....

DougC

When was this episode taped? Did it mention the amount of primers they made a day? Seems they would make many more primers than 22LR ammo.

I'm thinking you are unaware just how big ATK is. They are the General Electric of all things that burn or explode. They make it all including small arms ammo and components, artillery, all the way up to NASA and DOD's solid rocket engines and also mining stuff like their explosives and detcord. They are huge. If they are shifting around their manufacturing capacity like I'm sure they are, 120 trailers a day actually seems kind of low to me. Full disclosure... I once worked for a contractor that built the engine nozzles for the 3 stage missile that was to be the core of our ICBM missile shield. All of our parts ended up at ATK for full assembly of it's engines.

Edited by Shadowrider